[GUIDE] Mordekaiser: Fueled by Internet Rage

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Redenbacher

09-08-2010

You make some good points, but I can't agree with most of what you say here. Granted, you probably have more experience with Morde than I do, but in my personal experience, I can't agree with rushing FoN, or Warmog's. You're saying don't rush Tank items, but that's exactly what those are... full-fledged tank items.

All of your build relies entirely on base damage and hopes the other team doesn't build any MR at all. I never suggested rushing tank items, I suggested focusing on items that add Armor, MR, CDR, and Magic Penetration. Randuin's Omen's side effects are much needed CC, allows you to AoE slow the team, and CC's anyone who auto-attacks you. The CDR and Magic Penetration ensure that you're doing **** near True Damage to anyone without any magic resistance, and thus boosting your shield regeneration.

You only get just under 10 Magic penetration from runes... this is NOT enough. Most Champions have around 30-45 MR without items.... IF you buy Abyssal Scepter (which is not a core item... nothing on my list is), plus Sorc Boots, you've taken out 40 MR right there.

As for Frozen Mallet/Rylais... I stand by my point that it's preference. Everything you've mentioned is absolutely true. Frozen Mallet however requires you get within Melee Range (or pray you can grab a ranged pet)... and when someone is running away from you, you have no chance of catching them. Unless you build Boots of Swiftness and have FoN... well then yea, I suppose that's a different way to look at it. The Sorc Boots just add too much to your overall damage output (and consequently, your shield regeneration) to pass up in many games.

I'm not denying that your build doesn't work, in fact I know it does. I just know that when I'm facing Morde's with your build... I tell my team to ignore them, kill the team, and then turn around and beat him down - or just watch him run away from the 5v1... 4v2 if he's lucky. Without CDR or Magic Penetration (in addition to runes), Morde's damage is laughable to anything but a squishy who builds no survivability.

As for Q, well, I have been trying to get it earlier, and in some situations it has been beneficial to obtain it sooner. Once again, that goes with the theme of the guide to remain flexible. Regardless, the earliest I'll grab it is at level 4. It will stay at 1 point until everything else is maxed out.

Oh, and I have Guardian Angel as something to avoid, not something to consider

EDIT: If you do love that much HP, do me a favor, just for one game. Go and try a full HeatnServe build for a game:

• Doran's Shield
  • Aegis or Spirit Visage
  • Sorc Boots
  • Frozen Mallet
  • Sunfire
  • Sunfire
  • FoN

The first time I did that build, I had my best game ever at the time. Then I started looking in to why, and how to further maximize it. Through research and experimenting, it came down to the heavy focus on Armor and MR, the CC from FM, and the heavy AoE damage. This build works in most games... but obviously not every game, because there is no core build for Mordekaiser. Regardless, it gives far more effective HP than a Warmog's build.

F0rte

09-08-2010

If you REALLY want the 20 mpen from Sorc boots, simply opt for a haunting guise instead. It's about 300 gold more expensive, does the exact same thing and also gives ap/health while opening up your boot slot to more movement/cc reduc. Let's do some quick math.

Let's assume: Morde versus Warwick at level 18. Morde has no +ap and no +spellpen other than runes/archaic knowledge. WW has no MR other than his base which is 51. Creeping Death does 245 base damage.

Morde gets 9 flat spell pen from runes and 15% from archaic knowledge. This brings WW's MR to:
51-9 = 42
42*.15 = 6.3
42 - 6.3 = 35.7, or we'll assume the game rounds up to 36. At 36 MR, Creeping Death is going to deal 181.3(182) damage to him.

With Sorc boots or haunting guise, this number goes to a stellar 208.25(209) damage. So, sorc boots give you a ~27 damage increase on creeping death against the highest base MR in the game at level 18. Keep in mind that his ultimate steals life and does not deal damage so it bypasses MR. Unless you see the opponent stacking MR, there is no reason to get mpen items on this character.

edit: I realize I didn't address your other points. That build does seem like it would work quite well and with the nerf to GA/buff to SV it may just become my standard build (aside from sorc boots, teehee). I also made a mistake about calling you out on GA, sorry!

Redenbacher

09-08-2010

Where are you getting the 245 base damage? Rank 5 Creeping Death deals 480 base damage. 80x6 seconds.

Also, let's not forget that all of Mordekaiser's abilities are AoE. Basing it off of a 1v1 scenario is a poor example. Even if it is a 27 damage boost, if that's across 5 targets, that's 135 more damage.

Using 480 damage however... at 15.7 MR after Runes, Archaic Knowledge, and Sorc Boots, is roughly 480*.82 (18% damage reduction @ 15.7 MR) = 384 damage

Or, without Sorc Boots = 380*.73 (27% damage reduction @ 35.7 MR) = 277.4

I'll take the extra ~100 damage to that single target, and when standing in a wave of creeps and enemies... it could be easily upwards of 500 extra damage, and 125 additional shield.

And just for fun, with Abyssal and Sorc Shoes:
20 + 20 + 9 = 49
51-49= 2
2*.85= ~2

480*.98 (2% damage reduction @ 2 MR) = 470.4

I don't see how MPen is not worth it's weight in gold on Mordekaiser... this exercise also shows how quickly some MR will shut him down as well.

I could never justify Haunting Guise, a mid-tier cheap item that can easily be substituted for a high-tier item considering the huge farming capability Mordekaiser has. His ability to farm incredible items early is his main strength. Items like Aegis and Abyssal Scepter are difficult to justify on other characters that don't farm as well... but Morde can justify it because he has money coming out of his metallic ears... and they buff your team, thus increasing the reasons to kill you . I'll take Abyssal over Haunting any day.

Slide

09-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redenbacher View Post
Where are you getting the 245 base damage? Rank 5 Creeping Death deals 480 base damage. 80x6 seconds.

Also, let's not forget that all of Mordekaiser's abilities are AoE. Basing it off of a 1v1 scenario is a poor example. Even if it is a 27 damage boost, if that's across 5 targets, that's 135 more damage.

Using 480 damage however... at 15.7 MR after Runes, Archaic Knowledge, and Sorc Boots, is roughly 480*.82 (18% damage reduction @ 15.7 MR) = 384 damage

Or, without Sorc Boots = 380*.73 (27% damage reduction @ 35.7 MR) = 277.4

I'll take the extra ~100 damage to that single target, and when standing in a wave of creeps and enemies... it could be easily upwards of 500 extra damage, and 125 additional shield.

And just for fun, with Abyssal and Sorc Shoes:
20 + 20 + 9 = 49
51-49= 2
2*.85= ~2

480*.98 (2% damage reduction @ 2 MR) = 470.4

I could never justify Haunting Guise, a mid-tier cheap item that can easily be substituted for a high-tier item considering the huge farming capability Mordekaiser has. His ability to farm incredible items early is his main strength. Items like Aegis and Abyssal Scepter are difficult to justify on other characters that don't farm as well... but Morde can justify it because he has money coming out of his metallic ears... and they buff your team, thus increasing the reasons to kill you . I'll take Abyssal over Haunting any day.
Agreed. It would be really nice if we could buy Swiftness of Mercs but the Mpen on Sorcs really is mandatory. And yeah, Guise is a TERRIBLE item on Mord. Health and AP are not great stats for him. Id take Abyssal any day of the week as well.

I DO consider Abyssal core. Ive youre overleveled enough you wont need the FoN regen till later. One of the main reasons I run Exp quints is to ENSURE I am overleveled so I dont need to waste time and gold buying an item that doesnt add very much to my offense. Walking around during mid game with 50 Mpen, over 100 MR and Armor as well as sunfires aura is a REALLY scary thing. Only thing I have seen counter it so far is clairvoyance. They see you comming and run before you get there

Metta Game

09-08-2010

Noob question on morde, but I gotta know for sure since the ability descriptions don't make it clear on the LoL website: do all of mordes damage abilities charge up his white shield? Or is it just siphon of destruction? Which ones do?

Redenbacher

09-08-2010

Everything! 25% of all Morde's ability damage, no matter what ability it is, goes straight to shield. Siphon just gives bonus shield based on the number of targets hit with the cone, in addition to the shield gained from damage dealt.

I'm fairly certain, though I haven't tested it per say, that even your pet's damage goes to shield. Can anyone confirm this?

F0rte

09-08-2010

I tell you, I'm on a crusade against sorc boots. Mordekaiser is NOT a nuker. Mordekaiser also is susceptible to nukers and to anyone with CC. If you want to go the route of "25 damage to 5 players is 135 more damage", remember that health stacking is a common strategy. You assume that each player has 2.5k (that's lowballing it), you've now done 135 more damage to a combined health pool of 12,500. Bottom line is that Morde's killer ability is an ulti/ignite combo.

I also meant Siphon, not Creeping Death. I have everything keybound (including leveling up skills) and rarely ever read the skill names. It's much easier for me to refer to skills as Q, W, E and R.

An ideal teamfight for Mordekaiser goes like this: R on a heavy ranged dps like Ashe, Ez or Kogmaw -> Puppet -> Q destroys with your increased damage

As the game goes on you're going to see the value of Sorc boots wane, where as the value of any of the other boots (sans zerker) is going to remain the same or increase. Morde doesn't need help with his early and mid game. Ignite and/or his ulti do all of that work for him. Swiftness boots, merc treads, ninja tabi...these items will all allow you to stay alive longer and get more kills.

Why do you take Ghost on Morde? For the ability to chase people down, or to escape. Why, then, would you not augment that ability in any way you could manage? I'll say it again, Morde's biggest weakness is slows, snares and stuns. He has other slots for helping in the offensive department.

I'm not trying to downtalk your playstyle, you simply hit a sensitive nerve with the boots. Though I suppose you did warn me of this in your guide, didn't you?

F0rte

09-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redenbacher View Post
I'm fairly certain, though I haven't tested it per say, that even your pet's damage goes to shield. Can anyone confirm this?
No, only damage from his Q, W and E abilities increase his shield.

Redenbacher

09-08-2010

Mordekaiser doesn't need to be a nuker to make use of them, what he needs is most of his damage to be magic damage that scales horribly with AP. So your alternative means to improve damage is CDR and MPen.

Q will never destroy if there's targets nearby that don't allow it to do it's 200% damage. Even then, it's flat damage that scales with AD - something that I would never buy for Mordekaiser.

Mordekaiser's weakness is not slows or snares, but stuns and silences. As long as he can cast E or W, he can shrug off the slows without issue.

In the end, however, Sorc boots = more damage. More damage = more shield. More shield = more time alive = more kills/damage = more threat. Swiftness I can see as being a viable alternative... I'll give that a try over Sorc boots some time. Merc treads however are not always necessary in my opinion, and neither are Tabi.

09-08-2010

I agree that I only go with mercs when there are a lot of silences and stuns. I liked the guide quite a bit and agree with your build style but I think that FoN should be rushed about 80% of the time. I usually have it before 10 minutes into the game and it will keep you in lane forever (I almost always have 150 creep kills by 15 minutes if I'm solo). The unique passive is far more valuable than people really think and only gets more badass late game. The passive will also make your abilities cost nothing because of the regen rate.

For increased damage late game, instead of just pushing pure magic pen, I go for a trinity. Even though it's expensive and has mana, the extra damage added to the mace is really nice as well as adding movement speed and a slow. I usually have >450 movement speed at level 18 and with the slow and damage you will demand attention because you can very easily lock on to squishies and make them your ghost*****.

I usually core FoN and Randuins unless pure casters and then I go with two sunfires with a trinity between them. But I agree that the core tank items are champ comp dependent but I think trinity should be more of a core for damage if needed.