[GUIDE] Mordekaiser: Fueled by Internet Rage

12345678 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Carados

09-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odakle View Post
Hey, what are your thoughts on the new, reworked Spirit Visage? I used to get it all the time, but then I realized that I didn't have a lot of MR, so i switched it out for FoN for my main magic resist item. Do you think it would become viable now or do you think that it will still be over-shadowed by FoN?
Huge nerf to his midgame, he's pretty much unusable when that goes through.

Perhaps an early Wardens Mail into a Spirit Visage/Heart of Gold would work, but you're still putting off his Rylais/Mallet.

Redenbacher

09-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axonoth View Post
I have to disagree that Morde makes an ineffective tank. In fact thats all I use him for. I have met with huge success using him as a tank. I'm no pro either, but this is the build I use. Give it a shot once and see what you think.
My masteries are... 0/22/8
My runes are... Marks = flat health... Everything else = health regen.
My gear is... Ninja Tabai boots, Leviathan, Warmogs, Force of Nature, Spirit Visage, and Randuin's Omen. Now if they have an excessive amount of dps, I will trade Spirit Visage or Force of Nature for Thornemail.
When I gear this way, I hardly ever die. And most of the time, for some reason, people feel the need to try and focus a tank (which is stupid in my humble opinion). Because of Mord's massive aoe damage potential, it makes it easier for your dps to mop up and because of his ulti you can grab another guy for your group fight. If its not a group fight, I love tower diving and using my ulti in conjunction with sprint and ignite to kill people. Doing this gets people very skittish when your around and allowing your team to push farther.
Like you this is just my opinion and it works for me. Try it sometime and see how you like it.
I have tried similar full-tank builds... and they used to work, but not any more. Whether that has to do with ELO or not, I have no idea... nor do I care. I just know that now, if I build anything even remotely similar to a full tank build and have no CC items like Rylai's or Mallet, no CDR and/or no Magic Penetration, I'm the last one standing while my team is staring at Death Recap screens. Sure, I might walk away with a double kill... but I'm doing just that, walking away, not pushing against the three remaining enemies.

I never said that Mordekaiser can't tank... he's just not an effective tank unless you choose the correct items and tactics to play on your enemies weaknesses and build threat psychologically, rather than physically.

Not dieing isn't tanking - keeping your team alive is tanking. But hey, by all means, if your build is working keep using it. I just found it to become much less effective the more I played.

Redenbacher

09-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odakle View Post
Hey, what are your thoughts on the new, reworked Spirit Visage? I used to get it all the time, but then I realized that I didn't have a lot of MR, so i switched it out for FoN for my main magic resist item. Do you think it would become viable now or do you think that it will still be over-shadowed by FoN?
The removal of regeneration is painful... I'm not so sure why this change is being considered in the first place. However, this would just further reaffirm my favoring of Aegis of the Legion, and Force of Nature being the only regen item in your inventory, unless of course the game calls for Randuin's Omen.

Regardless, it still offers MR and CDR - so it's not completely useless, but may be easily substituted.

Redenbacher

09-04-2010

I'd like to mention that the past couple of nights I've given the rush to Rylai's a try, and it certainly is nice. Many times has there been someone trying to flee the scene, and it's nice to know I can just smack them with Siphon to slow them down, and keep them in range with Creeping Death. Ganking definitely becomes much easier.

I also had the pleasure of chasing down a squishy Ezrael, and while he was out of range of my Siphon, I tossed my ultimate on him. Low and behold, he came in range quickly, was stomped, and I had myself a nice ranged pet.

That said, thanks for the suggestion Carados - Rushing Rylai's definitely shows promise.

EDIT: Eh... triple post. Sorry about that... but since it's 'my' thread, I'm going to let myself get away with it this time.

Arkzus

09-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redenbacher View Post
The removal of regeneration is painful... I'm not so sure why this change is being considered in the first place. However, this would just further reaffirm my favoring of Aegis of the Legion, and Force of Nature being the only regen item in your inventory, unless of course the game calls for Randuin's Omen.

Regardless, it still offers MR and CDR - so it's not completely useless, but may be easily substituted.
I wondered that myself so I made a thread about it on the TR Forums about a week ago. I got a bunch of feedback from other players explaining the possibilities of why it was changed. No comments from any Riot staff however. =/

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=226643

It's a shame I'll have to be rushing Warden's Mail for the early game regen when Spirit Visage is so perfect at that point. Well, was perfect.

Redenbacher

09-05-2010

Interesting, thanks for the digging you've done there Arkzus, good thread. It makes sense, and it sucks, but I suppose it's for the greater good.

Redenbacher

09-07-2010

Updated to add a very brief Summoner Spell section, as I don't think it needed much explanation, but someone might be curious .

Metta Game

09-07-2010

GA is positively unjustifiable now with the latest update.

VejiTehDestroyer

09-08-2010

This guide has my bessings. Not bad at all. I'm still not a big fan of Aegis, but it'll do donkey, it'll do.

F0rte

09-08-2010

I have played very many games on Morde and find myself contesting some points you make. Let me give you some compliments and some complaints.

I'll start off by pointing at your "threat meter" idea. All I can say to this is: GOD, YES! It's the most important thing to keep in mind as Morde. The only problem is that your build doesn't really compliment it. I mean...

-Sorc boots? Really? You've got the mpen from your runes already, you're not going to need more of it. Merc treads (though they received a slight nerf in this recent patch) are a great thought, as well as swiftness boots. Chasing someone down to throw a fatal E on them is a serious deal as Morde. Sorc boots are just not as powerful on him as they are on a serious magic carry.

-Randuin's. It's a nice tank item, yeah, but it's not forcing people to attack you. In fact, a smart player will realize that you've got Randuin's and not even attack you. Rushing to it is just not an option. You're truncating your threat meter against decent players when you rush this item. Don't even try to say something like "not everyone you play is decent", because if they're not skilled enough to realize your item build and work around it then your item build doesn't really freakin' matter.

-Abyssal Scepter. You're packing a bunch of MR already through shield/FoN(which I believe every morde should have as their second or third item) and this item just doesn't do a lot for you. More mpen, but I've already discussed that stacking mpen is pointless unless someone on the other team is stacking MR. But even if they're stacking MR, chances are they are a tank and you're not going to burst them down anyways. If you have one or two magic carries on your team then I could see you picking this up because you're filling your support role (more on this later).

-Guardian. After this recent patch, just no. This used to be a staple of my Morde build, allowing me to roll into 3-4 champs after or during a teamfight and wreck all of them. After this most recent nerf, I'd stray from it. Wouldn't even list it as something to consider.

-Warmog's. You're so wrong about avoiding this item. It keeps with the idea of your threat meter so much it isn't even funny. If you build this as your third or fourth item, you're going to surprise the **** out of those heavy nukers that have been used to targeting and killing/maiming you for the first 20-25 minutes. The idea is to lure them into the idea of you being squishy and then bust out a frozen mallet and warmogs in rapid succession. Those two, combined with the FoN you should most definitely have will make you able to absorb craptons of damage. Don't engage unless enemy/neutral creeps are nearby and use your E to shield yourself from their damage as you dps them with Q/W/R/ignite and/or one of your carries. Your shield, by that point in the game, will potentially be able to absorb enough damage to get your HP that you used for your abilities back before the shield is gone. Remember, morde's ability costs do not scale with his health, but the FoN regen DOES. This makes it exponentially more beneficial to stack health.

-Frozen Mallet/Rylais. People who are saying that Rylai's is better are dead wrong. With Frozen Mallet, once you get your pet you now have the ability to slow 3-4 people as long as you can exert fine control over yourself and your pet. If you're following someone, you can send your pet down one path while you chase the second path and end up meeting in the middle. No matter who finds them first, your other half will be able to catch up to and kill them using FM. Yes, you could just W your pet with RCS and slow them that way but the percentage slowed will be lower and the range of a non-melee hero is greater than the range of your W.

-Aegis, Sunfire Cape. These items are MEH at best. To be honest, I would say that Morde should consider a freakin' Starks before either of these items. MAYBE Sunfire if they're really melee heavy, but Aegis is really not a stellar item.

That's all I've got for the items. On to something else now.

-Do. Not. Ignore. Your. Q. Never ever ever ignore it. In fact, on almost every champion it's a bad idea to not have one point in every skill by level 6. Your Q is a great way to spike up your shield if you're getting harassed, a great way to throw out some damage on a champion who overextends themselves and a great way to harass. If you see they're sticking around their creeps for too long, wait until 2-3 creeps are left and throw up Q/E back to back. Continue to do this, positioning yourself on the far side of the creep line (the side closest to the enemy) and watch as they slowly back away from their own minions. It's going to destroy their farming abilities and at best is going to deny them of some experience.

I think a lot of people are confused on Mordekaiser's role on a team. I believe that each team should have the following setup (not in this particular order, obviously, but you get mah direction):
Slot #1: Carry
Slot #2: Carry
Slot #3: Carry
Slot #4: Support
Slot #5: Tank

Mordekaiser best fits slot number 4, though he can fit the role of a carry if you're hurting for CC and need slot 4 for someone like Taric or Fiddle. He is really an early game carry, best suited for scaring opponents away from team fights and sustaining your lanes so that your real carries can nom on those delicious creeps. Around level 11-13 you should be pumping out health and armor/mr, depending on the enemy comp of course. Your goal in mid-lategame is to be a secondary tank that just soaks damage while your carries unload.

My skeleton build for Morde is as follows:
1. Doran's Shield & health pot
2. Boots.
3a. Merc/Swfitness if you've simply been farming. Go to 3b after this.
3b. Phage if you've managed to get a kill or two. Go to 3a after this.
4. Force Of Nature, probably selling Doran's to afford it
5. Frozen Mallet
6. Warmog's

After this I'd say it's really up to you. Most of my Morde Builds include these four items, allowing 2 slots to be given to situational items at any time during the build. I know it sounds silly, but you can really get away with going light on armor if you stack health because of your W and your shield. Heck, Madred's isn't a bad item to consider either. It's a bit expensive, but it fills your armor and attack needs.

TL;DR - Morde is not a full-fledged tank and you're suggesting to build him by rushing tank items. Don't do it, bro!

Sorry if anything I wrote comes off as snarky. I haven't slept in a little over a day.

12345678 ... 13