[GUIDE] Mordekaiser: Fueled by Internet Rage

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Etherimp

05-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redenbacher View Post

@Etherimp - I'd outright remove Nashor's from your build. The only real benefit is the CDR, which you've got covered by FH. I haven't honestly tried a full hybrid build, but MPen works so well with Mordekaiser, it's hard for me not to have at least 30 in any game, usually in the realm of 50 with a nearly-core Abyssal Scepter. Lichbane I have tried, and it's a tough pick to justify. It works well with Mace, but I've just found the results... less-than stellar. Great for melting towers though. Guinsoo's doesn't seem like a complete waste since you can keep stacks easy, but getting it that late it tends to lose it's luster in my opinion. However I do imagine the Guinsoo's + Lichbane combo is fantastic for pushing towers.

I've never actually bought a Nashors for Morde, but brought it up because it's technically an AP/AD item. Lately my build has been something like this..

Reju Bead + Health Pot -> Merc Treads -> Thornmail (If AD heavy Team) / FON (If AP or Balanced Team)

At this point, it gets very dependent upon circumstances, but I will go with a variety of the following items:

Spirit Visage (If heavy AP team)
SunFire Cape (If heavy Melee team)
Sheen -> Lichbane
Hextech Revolver -> Hextech Gunblade
Frozen Heart -> For the CDR + Armor
Guinsoo Rageblade (For more AD/pushing power)
Trinity Force (If the game goes on a LONG time and I have tons of money)
Void Staff (For tankier teams) or Abyssal Scepter (For teams with more carries/casters and/or when I am teamed with a lot of casters)

I don't usually go Rylai's because of Hextech AND usually my team will have plenty of slows/stuns/knock ups without me having to be on that duty.

I know the Sorc Shoes are the perennial favorite for Mordekaiser, but I just can't resist the CC reduction AND Magic Resist combined on Merc Treads. They seem to offer much more survivability and overall contribute more to Morde owning mid to late game. There are plenty of other solutions for MPen, but lets face it: MOST teams in this game will have AT LEAST 2-3 champs on them that have some form of CC which will shut you down and prematurely send you to the spawn pool; and Merc Treads are the ONLY option for CC reduction, which is one of Mordekaisers weaknesses.

Redenbacher

05-05-2011

Thornmail's not a strong core item at all, because in order for it to prove effective, there must be an auto-attacker on the enemy team who is actually making a conscious effort to focus you. If your first two items are tank items, that AD carry isn't going to bother attacking you, thus negating the effects of the Thornmail.

At least with Randuin's and/or Frozen Heart, it's doing something useful for the team when the enemy is not attacking you. That said, they aren't going to focus you unless you give them a reason to. That's primarily why I prefer to get some AP early in the form of Rylai's or Abyssal - if you're melting their squishies in to tomorrow , they'll be much more apt to take you down fast so you don't get that ghost. That's when you need to start thinking tankier... but by no means 'tank'. You just need to survive that initial focus so your team can do whatever it is they need to do. Hopefully your tank is absorbing a lot of damage too if they're doing their job properly.

Rajaon

05-09-2011

So red, first of all i really wanna say thanks for making this guide. it's really well thought out and very helpful. I have one question for you though. What do you think about will of the ancients with this build. i read the post about the hextech gunblade and the argument about spell vamp, but the aura on WotA gives your teamates the spell vamp too, and it seems to me the auras and debuffs are very crucial for this build, and not to mention WotA is a pretty cheap item.

KPloggz

05-09-2011

Good guide; I agree with everything except the (as I've never seen it done) start items.

Loved your tl;dr as well

+1

MennaVirus

10-12-2011

not only caught me red handed by me skipping to the item selection. you made laugh gg sir gg

Redenbacher

12-14-2011

Have any die hard Mordekaiser fans taken the plunge in to Dominion with him? What's your feelings on his performance?

Personally, I've only played a couple of games, with moderate success... however I don't want to draw any conclusions with such a small sample size. My last game, for example, opened up with a triple kill, and ended with 22/5, and over 1800 points.My apprehension to his viability is his lack of mobility, and general weakness to consistent poke and kite strategies that are so popular.

However, the counter argument is that he puts out consistent high DPS in a teamfight, and is exceptionally resilient to burst. The glass cannons that are so prevalent make fantastic ghosts that are easy to obtain, and his AoE damage, in combination with his ultimate, make it very easy to defend a point from multiple assailants.

I'll definitely be playing him more often in Dominion to try and get a feel if he can be consistently valuable.

The build I used last night was:
1) Boots + HoG + Pots (Reason: Burst is king in the first windmill fight. I want to absorb the burst and focus on dealing consistent damage to wear down the enemy with Creeping Death.)
2) Finish Sorc Shoes, more Pots (Reason: True damage, and more shield generation for burst absorption)
3) Warden's Mail + Amp Tome (Reason: Sustain, armor against the prevalent AD champions, anti-mobility passive to mitigate kiting, working towards Rylai's)
4) Giant's Belt + Negatron Cloak (Reason: Further mitigation of enemy burst, continue working towards Rylai's)
5) Finish Rylai's + Hextech Revolver(Reason: Mitigation for kiting, Improved Sustain in Teamfights, AP for abilities)
6) Finish Randuin's + Finish Abyssal Scepter (Reason: Mitigation for kiting and AD/AS champions, team damage boost, mitigate enemy magic damage, AP for abilities)

Game ended in victory. I spent most of my time defending Windmill.

Skill order is EWW, E, W, R, Q -> R>W>E>Q
Masteries: 9/0/21 (MPen, CDR, Spell Vamp, Movement Speed)
Runes: MPen Marks, MR Glyphs, Armor Seals, HP Quints

Let me know the thoughts of those of of you that have really run him through the ringer in Dominion. I'm not really interested in single game opinions, or theory crafting. I want to know real experience playing WITH Mordekaiser. Not, "Every time I see one it's a free kill." My goal here is to ultimately update my guide with the most up-to-date patch information, as well as Dominion build approach and combat strategy.

deathcallsu

12-16-2011

good guide I'm re downloading lol as I type this.