AoE Tank Advise, please!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1fda1b980a14276a4588f

11-05-2009

So, a few friends and I have started playing this, although we've never really played DotA. The problem was that all of us wanted to play as carries, so I stepped up and decided to use a tank or support. I can't stand not having AoE, so I narrowed it down to 3 or so champions that I like to use. They are Amumu, Taric, and Cho'Gath.

When I read up on Taric (who is my current favorite champion, but I'm still not sure), it says that it's not uncommon for Taric to outlevel many of the other players. This hasn't been the case for me. I seem to have problems leveling quickly as tanks, especially when I spec Taric for tank/healer. As a carry (such as Annie or Veigar), I was gaining levels rediculously fast, but now it's just not so.

The problem is this: when there are 1 or more ranged champions on the opposing team in my lane, I just get pushed back every time I go to AoE some creeps, slowing my leveling drastically, especially when I play as Taric, since his AoE isn't as good as Amumu or Cho'Gath. What should I do in these situations? It doesn't seem smart to just leave my lane, and jungling doesn't seem to be an option until early in the mid-game.

Also, another question: I often set up kills as Taric by stunning and using my ultimate, but at the end of the game, it seems to only show 4 or 5 assists, when I've counted much more than that. What's the reason for this?

Thanks in advance!

inhiarashi

11-05-2009

I go AOE first then run my heal all the way up with it and get the stun last. you don't do much ganking with taric ever because he's so slow.

His ultimate is a tower breaker but you need alot of mana get tear of the goddess and/or the chalice. I suggest you use your AOE every time its up and just hit every creep no matter what the enemy does. i used to walk in aoe walk out and heal if needed. your heal is stronger on you and usually if you are agressive enough they stay away from you when you come in.

i dunno taric gets really hard to kill in the long run I love playing him when i can't play fiddlesticks

IS1fda1b980a14276a4588f

11-05-2009

The problem is that every time I go to AoE the creeps, I get slammed by burst damage and I'm forced to waste all of my MP healing, making me unable to use more AoE.

AvariceX

11-05-2009

Not too much you can really do here except be more careful about when you decide to go up for an AoE. Besides that, it's generally more important in the early game to worry about last-hitting creeps to get the gold instead of spamming AoE. Spamming AoE early will ensure that the fight stays closer to the enemy tower as your lane gains momentum, but you aren't strong enough to push the tower down yet anyway and it puts you further from the safety of your own tower. Be conservative with AoE in the beginning until it is netting you multiple creep kills at once, worry more about sneaking up to get those individual last-hits on weakened creeps.

As for not getting credit for the assists; you only count for an assist if you did damage within X seconds (not sure what X is, 5 or so I believe) of the enemy's death. So if you open with a stun and don't do any damage after that and it takes your team 15 seconds to kill him you won't get credit for the assist, even if you were healing the guys that got the kill the whole time; it's a cruel world for healers sometimes.

IS1fda1b980a14276a4588f

11-05-2009

Thanks for clearing everything up nicely. I've sort of subconsiously known that I shouldn't push too much early on, because then I can't net any more kills because of the vicinity of creeps near their tower. I understand assists now, too. I hope they allow healers to get assists in a future patch by healing someone who has gotten the assist within x seconds of the kill.