Is Curio a champion you'd like to see in the League?

Yes, make it happen, Riot! 10 62.50%
Not bad, keep working on it. 3 18.75%
Not really my thing. 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Champion Concept 5: Curio, the Stars' Fury

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Draginath

07-06-2012

Hey guys, I've put this one off a little too long, but it has allowed me to get alot done on some of my other concepts, both previous and to come.

Last time, we saw the vigilante Fawkes, the Mask of Tranquility:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...1987571&page=3

5. Curio, the Stars' Fury ****UPDATED 11/30/12****

Overview:
Curio is a ranged fighter who specializes in suppressing enemy aggression. Combing long range with an assortment of debuffs and crowd control, a skilled player will be able to stop the enemy in their tracks.

Role: Ranged, Support, Fighter, Pusher

Resource: Mana

Description:
Curio is an angelic being like Kayle and Morgana except he has six wings instead of two. He wears turquoise and silver armor that is very similar to the Judgment Kayle skin. He has long, silver hair with icy-gray eyes and wields an ephemeral bow that fires enchanted arrows. His voice has a slight echo in it; being calm and cold while at the same time warm and kind.

Stats:

Difficulty: Very Hard
Health: 2075
Mana: 950
Movement: 310
Armor: 75
Magic Resist: 42
Range: 525

Abilities

Quote:
Eternal Slumber (Passive): Every 20 seconds, Curio’s next basic attack will put the target to sleep for 3 seconds. Sleeping targets cannot attack or use abilities but any damage they take will wake them up. Ability use lowers the cooldown of Eternal Slumber by 2 seconds.
Quote:
Eternal Slumber (Draft Two): CD increased to 25 seconds
This is a pretty unique passive but is really central to his kit. I wanted a somewhat unique crowd control that could be actively prepared and frequently available without being over-the-top.

UPDATE: With the new quiver mechanics implemented, this passive will be available much more frequently. So a slight increase in CD is necessary.

Quote:
Celestic Shot (Q): Curio begins channeling celestial energy through his bow, releasing it towards the cursor and dealing 70/110/150/180/210 (+75% of ability power) magic damage to all targets it hits. Damage and width of the shot are increased based on how long Curio charges. If Eternal Slumber is ready, Celestic Shot will apply it to all affected targets. Curio remains stationary while channeling. Curio charges up to 3 seconds. Reactivating this ability will cause Curio to release his shot early.
[4 second cooldown after charging, Range: 900, Width: 200-400]
Quote:
Celestic Shot (Draft Two): Curio channels celestial energy through his bow, releasing it towards the cursor and dealing 70/110/150/180/210 (+45% of ability power) magic damage to all targets it hits. If Eternal Slumber is ready, Celestic Shot will apply it to all affected targets. Curio stores one Celestial Arrow every 6 seconds, up to 6 at one time. [1.2 cooldown, Range: 900]
Curio's main damage spell. Damage increase is pretty arbitrary, but the idea is to give him a good payoff for positioning, especially since he has to stay stationary. The main worry is that it might give him a little too much poke when it comes to lane.

UPDATE: I decided to try out a quiver mechanic so that it still had the potency in terms of CC, but was a bit more useful across a variety of situations. All while having some limits built in like the stationary mechanic of draft one.

Quote:
Spirit Dart (W): Curio fires an ethereal arrow at target location that creates a stationary clone of himself for 5 seconds. The attacks nearby enemies, dealing 25% of Curio’s attack damage plus 20/40/60/80/100 (+20% of ability power) magic damage. Reactivating this ability causes Curio to materialize at his clone’s location, destroying the clone in the process.
[15 second cooldown, 1000 range (shot), 1200 range (Port)]
Quote:
Spirit Dart (Draft Two): Curio fires an ethereal arrow at target location that creates a stationary clone of himself for 7 seconds. The clone attacks nearby enemies, prioritizing champions, dealing 25% of Curio’s attack damage in magic damage.

Curio stores a Spirit Dart every 20 seconds, up to a 3 at a time. Reactivating this ability while the cursor is hovering over a clone causes Curio to materialize at that clone’s location, destroying the clone in the process. [1 second cooldown, 1000 range (shot), 1200 range (Port)]
A pretty neat ability that gives Curio some interesting options and fits his flavor as an other-worldly harbinger.

UPDATE: This is more of an idea I've been playing around with to enhance his theme and further the quiver model. This new draft give Curio some serious opportunities for misdirection and can really push his Q and Ultimate to new levels.

Quote:
Arrows of Starlight (E): (Passive) Curio is blessed by the stars, causing his basic attacks to deal 9/18/27/36/45 additional true damage. (Active) Curio fires a shining arrow that explodes, revealing target area. Arrows rain down on the area every 0.5 seconds, each briefly blinding affected enemy targets. Lasts 5 seconds.
[ 25 second cooldown, 2000 range]
Ability tied directly to his namesake. A long range blind that can be used to support adjacent lanes or increase his dueling capability. I've been bouncing back and forth about the true damage. I like it as a flavor touch but I'm afraid that the numbers might be a bit high.

Quote:
Suffocate Evil (Ultimate): Curio fires an arrow that expels evil, dealing 100/175/250 (+50% of Ability Power) magic damage and suppressing the target for 0.5/0.75/1 second(s). Curio stores a silencing arrow every 30 seconds, up to a maximum of 4 at a time. Successive uses on a single target, increases the damage by 5% but reduces the suppression effect.
[1 second cooldown, Range: 850]
Quote:
Suffocate Evil (Draft Two): Targets can only be suppressed every 10 seconds.
What would a champion specializing in suppression without a suppression effect? This ability is what made me come up with this champ in the first place.

UPDATE: I put an internal cooldown on the suppression because it just wouldn't be fair for Curio to lay into a target with 4 arrows, ramping up in damage, while the target is powerless to fight back. This change rounds the ability out a lot more and leaves the player with the choice to turn it into a mass CC or a damage tool. Maybe both.

Quote:
Quips:
Upon Selection: “I come not as curse…but a warning”
Taunt: “I’ve come too far to be stopped!”
Joke(s): “You think arguing with a girl is impossible? Try two.”
Movement: “You cannot escape my sight” “Hurry, Summoner!” “Be still” “I do what I must” “A beautiful contradiction” “Stars, guide me” "Torn between loves"
Dance: Bow transforms into a violin and Curio plays a haunting melody.
Passive Ready: "Sleep..."
Quote:
Playing against him:

- While a capable fighter, Curio's strength lies in support for afar. Keep fights brief and in close proximity to him. He'll hold you off for a while, but even he can only do it for so long, especially without direct escapes.

- Always watch him! Curio can easily lock up an entire team if he positions well. Don't give him that opportunity and always be prepared to alter your position to counter his.
Quote:
Lore:

For millennia, Curio has been known as a harbinger of the heavens. Wielding an ethereal bow, he has brought judgment to countless worlds; stars raining down to devour the wicked. While a typically good-natured and kind individual, Curio saw his grisly task as sort of an art form; a calling to maintain the delicate balance that governs the universe.

For as long as he could remember, Curio has been friends with the twins Morgana and Kayle. Since their youth, it has always been expected that Curio would choose one of the sisters to be his mate. Both Kayle and Morgana fought for his romantic attentions, but Curio never seemed interested; always preferring to lose himself in his “art”. While appearing indifferent, Curio actually loved both girls for very different reasons; Kayle being ordered, warm and motherly while Morgana was headstrong and carefree..

Unfortunately, Curio’s indecision drove a wedge between the two sisters. Determined to prove herself better than Kayle, Morgana turned to dark magics, becoming a powerful mistress in these arts. Unfortunately, her transformation put her at odds with Curio’s very existence, forcing him to ultimately choose Kayle. Matters escalated when Curio was forced to target Morgana for his very unique brand of judgment. He cornered Morgana, prepared to end her life, but his heart took hold of him and he let her escape under the promise that she would never return.

Despite truly loving Kayle, a part of Curio still loved Morgana, and he set off with Kayle under the ruse that they were hunting the fallen angel down. The two travelled to one world after the next, leaving the Stars’ fury in their wake. However, it didn’t take long for Kayle to realize Curio’s true intentions. She went ahead of her mate, determined to find her sister before he did.

Soon, Curio found himself on Valoran as a champion of the league, every battle bringing him closer to Morgana. While hailed as a god, there are those who are fearful of Curio’s presence on Valoran, rumors that his arrival signals a coming apocalypse. This fear may not be unwarranted as his failure may very well bring about the end of the world. The angel is determined to bring Morgana home…no matter what it takes.

“Beware the Stars’ Fury. Passion is a deadly thing” - Shen, the Eye of Twilight -
Overview:

Curio is designed as a champion who makes use of range for more utility purposes than damage. His utility is pretty simple at face-value but has a lot of flexibility in terms of execution, which I like. Tell me what you guys think. I have a bunch more concepts on the way and hopefully, lore won't be the thing to hold them back.

Up next: Marrow, the Bone Arbiter
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2687111

And check out my other concepts:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...5#post32018055

Void22

07-07-2012

Wow. I can see that you put a lot of thought into this. I truly like the idea and hope you have success with it.

Draginath

07-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Void22 View Post
Wow. I can see that you put a lot of thought into this. I truly like the idea and hope you have success with it.
Thanks, took me longer than expected because I was trying to get some lore together.

Draginath

07-10-2012

Votes but no feedback?

TheDeathstalker

07-11-2012

So, I like the concept here, it's neat and very different, but I think there are a few things that need to be cleared up, to make it run a lot smoother.

First of all, the passive needs a rework, not because of the sleep (although with all the other ways he has to lock down, it may be too much), but because of how it triggers. In the middle of combat, 20 seconds doesn't always click in your mind on a timer. It's too easy to accidentally waste this ability, or even worse, try not to waste it, forbidding you from attacking lest you have to wait 20 seconds to use it again. So, when in Rome, do as the Rioteers do: make it based off of attack count. If you want, include skills in that count too, and there you have it.

Now, as for some of the details on the skills...

Q is nice, it's simple, and it works, but it begs a single question: is it actually better than just attacking? Channels pretty generally in LoL, and in design, either do damage over time, or have a huge payoff for the channel (See: Fiddle's Drain, Nunu's Ult, Fiddle's Ult). This seems to be a slightly punchier version of Janna's Whirlwind, without granting much on either end of things. It needs, basically, to be more extreme, or more reliable. It needs to be something you'd want to use in more than just showing off in lane (or threatening in lane, you know what I mean I hope). It needs something to change in the core mechanic, and I'll leave it up to you as to what, but it needs it. (Yes, you lock people down, so you can easily hit them with this, but other than sleeping them, there's no real reason not to just Auto Attack)

Might be a nitpick, but I don't think the W needs to deal % AD, % AP and Magic Damage. Might just want to pick one and be done with it. Otherwise, handy skill. Again, may be a bit much on a ranged lockdown champ, to be this mobile, but that's fine.

The E is a bit high on the true damage. It doesn't really add anything to the champ, and it's hard to justify why its there as opposed to on any other skill. It's a bit tacked on, especially when you've got a skill that spams blind (one of the rarer statuses in the game, and for a good reason). The true damage also gives you even less reason to bother with the Q, as you're that much more deadly with your auto attacks. I really just don't feel this skill at all, tbh. It seems bizzare. Useful in certain situations, sure, but it doesn't seem like it encourages anything else on the champ. If anything needs a fundamental rework, it'd be this.

The Ult I like, but for one thing: Suppression. Ok, two things, the reload thing, but first: suppression. Why does a ranged caster need Suppression? It's a VERY rare status in the game, and you don't need it. IIRC, and this may not be true anymore, but suppression was always a channeled deal, Both Mal and Warwick had to channel it, but you just fire and forget. I think that's unfair and incredibly too strong. Drop the ammo, drop the suppression, and replace it with stun, if you really need to. The ammo makes this an unreliable skill that can either completely shut someone down for 4 (+3 sleep, + 5 Blind) seconds, which is far too much, or it can be a 1s stun. You can't really balance that, so just drop the ammo, and make it a clinch skill to use, make it something with a cooldown so that you'll see it maybe twice a teamfight, but it won't be everywhere. Make it a decision when to use it, and how to use it right, rather than a complete lockdown every 2 minutes.

I know I wrote a lot, but there's a lot here that's good, what I'm helping with is smoothing out where it's rough, where it gets shaky and too much or too little. You did a good job with him, trust me. I look forward to what you do with him.

Also, if you've got the time, I just posted a new Champ idea (kinda new, actually a rework of an old idea) called Kav Orkan, Dr. Feelgood. If you've got time, and want to, I would appreciate some help with him (but you don't have to, I hate it when people beg for reviews)

Draginath

07-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeathstalker View Post
So, I like the concept here, it's neat and very different, but I think there are a few things that need to be cleared up, to make it run a lot smoother.

First of all, the passive needs a rework, not because of the sleep (although with all the other ways he has to lock down, it may be too much), but because of how it triggers. In the middle of combat, 20 seconds doesn't always click in your mind on a timer. It's too easy to accidentally waste this ability, or even worse, try not to waste it, forbidding you from attacking lest you have to wait 20 seconds to use it again. So, when in Rome, do as the Rioteers do: make it based off of attack count. If you want, include skills in that count too, and there you have it.

Now, as for some of the details on the skills...

Q is nice, it's simple, and it works, but it begs a single question: is it actually better than just attacking? Channels pretty generally in LoL, and in design, either do damage over time, or have a huge payoff for the channel (See: Fiddle's Drain, Nunu's Ult, Fiddle's Ult). This seems to be a slightly punchier version of Janna's Whirlwind, without granting much on either end of things. It needs, basically, to be more extreme, or more reliable. It needs to be something you'd want to use in more than just showing off in lane (or threatening in lane, you know what I mean I hope). It needs something to change in the core mechanic, and I'll leave it up to you as to what, but it needs it. (Yes, you lock people down, so you can easily hit them with this, but other than sleeping them, there's no real reason not to just Auto Attack)

Might be a nitpick, but I don't think the W needs to deal % AD, % AP and Magic Damage. Might just want to pick one and be done with it. Otherwise, handy skill. Again, may be a bit much on a ranged lockdown champ, to be this mobile, but that's fine.

The E is a bit high on the true damage. It doesn't really add anything to the champ, and it's hard to justify why its there as opposed to on any other skill. It's a bit tacked on, especially when you've got a skill that spams blind (one of the rarer statuses in the game, and for a good reason). The true damage also gives you even less reason to bother with the Q, as you're that much more deadly with your auto attacks. I really just don't feel this skill at all, tbh. It seems bizzare. Useful in certain situations, sure, but it doesn't seem like it encourages anything else on the champ. If anything needs a fundamental rework, it'd be this.

The Ult I like, but for one thing: Suppression. Ok, two things, the reload thing, but first: suppression. Why does a ranged caster need Suppression? It's a VERY rare status in the game, and you don't need it. IIRC, and this may not be true anymore, but suppression was always a channeled deal, Both Mal and Warwick had to channel it, but you just fire and forget. I think that's unfair and incredibly too strong. Drop the ammo, drop the suppression, and replace it with stun, if you really need to. The ammo makes this an unreliable skill that can either completely shut someone down for 4 (+3 sleep, + 5 Blind) seconds, which is far too much, or it can be a 1s stun. You can't really balance that, so just drop the ammo, and make it a clinch skill to use, make it something with a cooldown so that you'll see it maybe twice a teamfight, but it won't be everywhere. Make it a decision when to use it, and how to use it right, rather than a complete lockdown every 2 minutes.

I know I wrote a lot, but there's a lot here that's good, what I'm helping with is smoothing out where it's rough, where it gets shaky and too much or too little. You did a good job with him, trust me. I look forward to what you do with him.

Also, if you've got the time, I just posted a new Champ idea (kinda new, actually a rework of an old idea) called Kav Orkan, Dr. Feelgood. If you've got time, and want to, I would appreciate some help with him (but you don't have to, I hate it when people beg for reviews)
Thanks for the critique, been waiting on some hits.

1. Celestic Shot and Eternal Slumber: I considered that little issue with his passive and I kind of like that about it. If you're constantly laying into a target, this passive not gonna do much except stop the target very very briefly. However, if you choose to stand back and pick your targets a bit more carefully, this passive can really shut a target down. This is where Q comes in.Curio finding opportunities to plant his feet and spam this opens up his coverage in terms of CC, being able to consistently have his passive ready and affect more targets with it. That was it's intended design. My only issue with it is that I want the damage and area of the fully charged shot to be drastically larger that a 1 or 2 sec channel.

2. Spirit Dart: I can agree with this critique. Abilities like this that involve clones, I always set up the modifier like that simply because I'm not as savvy with the actual numbers (you see this in my other concepts as well). I like the hybrid element of the skill but not really sure how much.

3. Arrows of Starlight: True damage is always a little iffy for me because it's so strange within how the game works itself. The idea behind the passive is to give a choice between damage and CC. You can stand back and maximize your CC via Celestic Shot and Eternal Slumber or you can utilize this for that consistent damage potential. The active is designed strictly for his theme of enemy suppression. Creating a large zone that periodically blinds targets will definitely help that. My first change, however, will be to disable the Passive while the ability is on CD.

4. Suffocate Evil: I followed the same thought process behind Skarner's suppression which trades off duration (like WW or Malz) for some added effect. In Skarner's case, he can reposition targets. In Curio's, he can affect multiple targets. The ammo is designed to work against that "fire and forget" nature of the ability, because improper usage of the ability will significantly reduce its potency. However, I do think I want to change it back to lasting 0.5 sec at all levels and removing the diminishing returns on it.

All in all, I think my major issue with the champ is duration on some of his CC. I'll probably reduce the amount of arrows his E drops over the duration. I also think that reducing the duration of W and buffing the clone a little might be necessary.

Draginath

07-31-2012

Not as much feedback as I was expecting so I guess there's some adjustment that need to be made. I have a couple ideas for Celestic Shot to put it on a Quiver system like his ultimate.

Draginath

08-22-2012

bump

LightningAcorns

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2012

First off, I don't see how Curio is supposed to be a support other than a big step down from a stun every 20 seconds. If anything, he seems more like a mage based on autoattacks than a "fighter" or "support", and standing still for a couple seconds to cause a line nuke makes his less of a "pusher" than Maokai or Viktor.
Passive: It makes sense for the sleep mechanic to work this way, but you should specify that only Champion autoattacks and spells or monsters can break through the Sleep, otherwise it'll include the innumerable minion aggro. Additionally, a hard CC on an autoattack is pretty iffy ESPECIALLY that on a ranged Champion, regardless of breaking the Sleep. It's 3 seconds every 20 seconds, meaning your team and/or jungler can set up to kill them with just your manaless, nigh undodgeable autoattack before the Sleep can break. It also only synergizes with his Q and nothing else, making the passive incredibly reliant on a Skarner or Olaf or Nunu ganking.
Q: It's a Varus arrow that deals magic damage, but he can't even move this time, though it increases in damage and hitbox width per tick and doesn't decrease damage on passing through an enemy. Still no support qualities yet, and this makes him even less of a fighter because of the long channel.
W: It's a delayed teleport that can allow him to still damage without teleporting. Seems more like an ability LeBlanc would have, no? That's more trickery than being a support or fighter and makes initiating and escaping your *****es.
E: True damage per autoattack? Holy christ what. True damage is a really tough mechanic to do correctly with autoattacks. For Corki, he has to still build damage for it to be effective. For Twitch, he has to keep attacking without any hard CC and still being squishy as hell. For Vayne, she also has to stay on her target for at least three autoattacks to apply her stacks, and she's still as squishy as Sona's chest. With Curio, however, he seems bulkier than the three of them and has flat TD per attack. Coupled with her Sleep, that's some hardcore autoattack potential right there with just one hit. For the active, there's a good reason why Corki's Phosphorus Bomb doesn't have a blind chance anymore and blind is now only exclusive to Heimerdinger and Teemo. And we're talking 10 ticks causing a chance to blind AND revealing sight. This makes the three yordles all sad.
R: That's a pretty big Suppress on a one second cooldown, making them unable to dodge any other suppressing arrows you throw at them. Even though there's a maximum of 4 at a time, although that may be the silencing arrows and you're channeling some Kog'Maw's Living Artillery right here giving him infinite ammo and thus perma-Suppressing them. You need to fix that wording.

There's a lot of issues I see with him. All in all, there is some potential, but these spells just don't fit together for the theme of an angel exorcising evil, or even a SUPPORT or FIGHTER. I do not get how he is a support save for his badly worded ultimate's Suppress or her Sleep. Also, the Joke doesn't make sense if you don't know his lore or who he's referring to.

IronCurtain

08-22-2012

I think with a little tweaking this champion could be amazing. I love the clone idea and being able to move to its location for added mobility. Would like to see this champ in game at some point. Great stuff.