Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@Riot, your Champion Design Philosophy and this is why

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Surangama

07-06-2012

Check this blog post by Hanshinshin

http://www.reignofgaming.net/news/20848-mana-the-resource-that-used-to-make-so-much-sense

To add my own words, I expect that risk/reward ratio and opportunity cost should be included in champion design principle. On the contrary, you guys give non-mana champion so much free stuff. Heal, shield, escape, damage, CC that basically makes the game unfun to play because 1/ Mana champion is always at a disadvantage when facing against non-mana champion; the player need to be much more skilled in order to win the lane, else the lane is almost guaranteed loss. 2/ Jungler gank should balance out the powerlevel for non-mana champion by making them cautious in managing their skill CD. However, most of the non-mana champion have escape/shield/cc that make them way too slippery.

I would like to hear some reasoning as to why you make certain champion manaless yet give them so much. I've always hated seeing Akali getting fed not because the player is skilled, but because this champion has so much free damage and gank-mitigation or Riven who can harass you infinitely and slip away when they see a jungler.

Let's admit it Riot, a lot of ranked games ban these manaless champion (Shen, Riven, Rumble, etc) not because they're good pick, but because they're unfun to play against. You guys have been ignoring this issue since S1 and we expect an explanation at least in S2.

Suaroth

07-06-2012

Shen is banned because of global ult and taunt.

Surangama

07-06-2012

Quote:
Suaroth:
Shen is banned because of global ult and taunt.

And this is unfun. Pal

Fubby2

07-06-2012

Quote:
Wuii:
And this is unfun. Pal

No... its just absurdly strong.

Letkhar

07-06-2012

Bull****.

Manaless Anivia. Yeah, that sounds balanced. Or let's just make Kog'Maw and Swain operate purely on cooldowns. Let's see how long that lasts.

Yes, mana is a handicap. It's a way to keep strong skills in check. This is also why Black Shield should have a higher mana cost.

That said, this is the reason that Vlad is such a balance cluster****. Manaless champions shouldn't also have free sustain.

AngryMilk7

07-06-2012

I lol'ed so har when they made riven.
CC
4 Dashes
Shield
High damage
High hp regen
Massive steroid/nuke ult

roll your face into the keyboard, win game, win lane.

Surangama

07-06-2012

Quote:
AngryMilk7:
I lol'ed so har when they made riven.
CC
4 Dashes
Shield
High damage
High hp regen
Massive steroid/nuke ult

roll your face into the keyboard, win game, win lane.

It's also why Kennen is always banned/picked in tournaments or why Vlad gets 10000x nerfs and is still a viable pick. It's the fact that their manaless skills are out of control.

Manuda

07-08-2012

Add mana to these champs please...this article rings so true in my ears its not funny.

Manaless champs are as toxic as heal champs imho. There's a reason other games don't have manaless champs.

Riot has just punctuated it fully now.