[Guide] A collection of Ezreal Builds

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FlowyS

07-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepantsparty View Post
Building for lategame on a champion who falls off lategame compared to other champions in the same role regardless of item build is a really badly thought out plan.
It isn't just late game though, it is the mana also. Manamune allows Ezreal to literally always have mana up, which is a big thing if you factor in Ezreal's passive and ultimate. With manamune, Ezreal can pretty much fire his ultimate whenever it is up. The other builds can not do that. Ezreal can also easily charge up his passive on everything. The other build require more mana management. It is much easier to keep Ezreal's passive up and constantly use his ultimate with manamune.

On an AD cost to value basis on early game. B.F. Sword is 1650gp for 45 AD. Manamune is 2110gp for 40 AD at 1k mana. The difference between those in terms of AD per gold is 643gp. So you basically paid 643gp for the mana regen. On a mathematical basis, that isn't too bad either. So the truth is, you don't lose that much mid game value either. 643gp for 350 mana and 7 mana/5sec is still a bargain if you compare those stats to mana crystals and meki pendants. Of course, mana is useless in short battles in which people die literally in seconds and mana isn't an issue. Then, I would agree with you to not build manamune. However for most cases, manamune is a great item for new Ezreal players..

thepantsparty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowyS View Post
It isn't just late game though, it is the mana also. Manamune allows Ezreal to literally always have mana up, which is a big thing if you factor in Ezreal's passive and ultimate. With manamune, Ezreal can pretty much fire his ultimate whenever it is up. The other builds can not do that. Ezreal can also easily charge up his passive on everything. The other build require more mana management. It is much easier to keep Ezreal's passive up and constantly use his ultimate with manamune.

On an AD cost to value basis on early game. B.F. Sword is 1650gp for 45 AD. Manamune is 2110gp for 40 AD at 1k mana. The difference between those in terms of AD per gold is 643gp. So you basically paid 643gp for the mana regen. On a mathematical basis, that isn't too bad either. So the truth is, you don't lose that much mid game value either. 643gp for 350 mana and 7 mana/5sec is still a bargain if you compare those stats to mana crystals and meki pendants. Of course, mana is useless in short battles in which people die literally in seconds and mana isn't an issue. Then, I would agree with you to not build manamune. However for most cases, manamune is a great item for new Ezreal players..
You're still on this idea that Ezreal should spam his skills whenever they're up to keep his passive up, which is wrong. It's unnecessary to keep his passive up while farming, not to mention not terribly useful when most of what you should be doing is last hitting. Teamfights don't last long enough for him to run oom. This is why I said the item is a noob trap because it reinforced bad play: the way to deal with the mana costs of Ezreal's skills is to use them when you need them rather than on cooldown, not to build an item that gimps your midgame in order to fire off more spells.

If you build a Manamune and your opponent takes that same gold and builds a Doran's Blade and a BF Sword, each of their attacks hit for about 30 more than yours and they have an extra 80 hp and 3% lifesteal. You can spam your mystic shot more, but what good is that extra mana doing you when their superior stats allow them to just trade with you and win forcing you to leave lane to heal?

FlowyS

07-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepantsparty View Post
You're still on this idea that Ezreal should spam his skills whenever they're up to keep his passive up, which is wrong. It's unnecessary to keep his passive up while farming, not to mention not terribly useful when most of what you should be doing is last hitting. Teamfights don't last long enough for him to run oom. This is why I said the item is a noob trap because it reinforced bad play: the way to deal with the mana costs of Ezreal's skills is to use them when you need them rather than on cooldown, not to build an item that gimps your midgame in order to fire off more spells.

If you build a Manamune and your opponent takes that same gold and builds a Doran's Blade and a BF Sword, each of their attacks hit for about 30 more than yours and they have an extra 80 hp and 3% lifesteal. You can spam your mystic shot more, but what good is that extra mana doing you when their superior stats allow them to just trade with you and win forcing you to leave lane to heal?
I said that if you want 1 vs 1 advantage, you shouldn't build manamune. Stop using that argument again,

For new players, manamune gives them a mana advantage. In League of Legends, mana also equals damage. A champion out of mana will generally do very little damage compared to someone who has mana. Also, believe it or not, people could actually run out of mana. Ezreal is a champion that will run out of mana quickly and it is better to have mana than not to have mana. New players will generally not have mana management so a mana item is recommended. It just happens that manamune is the best mana and AD item in the game. Trust me, it is much better for a new player to be able to constantly use Ezreal's skill to get a feel for the champion rather than to think Ezreal is an auto attacking champion because of mana issues. Ezreal is designed around skill shots, not auto attacks.

-----

Added description for all builds.
Added tank Ezreal build.

Ur little sister

07-09-2012

Hi mate, just something I've been doing recently.

I know all the guides for AD ezreal tell you to max Q first, but I've recently stopped doing it in favor of maxing W, and it's been very efficiŽnt for me. I'd like to back it up with some theorycrafting...
Note that you should still use Q to harass when given the chance, and take the 1st level in it BEFORE getting W.

Here's what you get from lvl 1 Q:
- 35 + 1AD + 0.2AP physical damage, with the 1s cdr on hit thing
- 30 mana cost
Here's what you get from lvl 1 W:
80 + 0.7AP magic damage, with a 20% Asp debuff on ennemies and Asp buff on allies.
- 50 mana cost
Obviously, taking the 1st rank in Q is better than taking it in W due to dealing plain more damage for less mana.

Levelling up Q gives you:
- 20 extra physical damage
- 5 mana cost increase
Levelling up W gives you:
- 50 extra magical damage, 5% extra Asp debuff/buff.
- 10 mana cost increase
And here is why I think maxing W>Q is good. You get 2.5 times the bonus damage for 2 times the bonus mana cost, with an added attack speed buff (for your jungler if he ganks) and/or decrease (for their carry). On top of that, it's magic damage, which they're not going to counterbuild to. Base armor > base MR ny1? Oh, did I mention W goes through minions?

FlowyS

07-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur little sister View Post
Hi mate, just something I've been doing recently.

I know all the guides for AD ezreal tell you to max Q first, but I've recently stopped doing it in favor of maxing W, and it's been very efficiŽnt for me. I'd like to back it up with some theorycrafting...
Note that you should still use Q to harass when given the chance, and take the 1st level in it BEFORE getting W.

Here's what you get from lvl 1 Q:
- 35 + 1AD + 0.2AP physical damage, with the 1s cdr on hit thing
- 30 mana cost
Here's what you get from lvl 1 W:
80 + 0.7AP magic damage, with a 20% Asp debuff on ennemies and Asp buff on allies.
- 50 mana cost
Obviously, taking the 1st rank in Q is better than taking it in W due to dealing plain more damage for less mana.

Levelling up Q gives you:
- 20 extra physical damage
- 5 mana cost increase
Levelling up W gives you:
- 50 extra magical damage, 5% extra Asp debuff/buff.
- 10 mana cost increase
And here is why I think maxing W>Q is good. You get 2.5 times the bonus damage for 2 times the bonus mana cost, with an added attack speed buff (for your jungler if he ganks) and/or decrease (for their carry). On top of that, it's magic damage, which they're not going to counterbuild to. Base armor > base MR ny1? Oh, did I mention W goes through minions?
Seems like you are right. Leveling W early is probably better for mana efficiency. But, when you don't factor in mana efficiency and want pure raw dps, I think Q is better for damage. I'll change the builds that need mana efficiency to max W first. But, for builds that use manamune, I think the pure dps of Q is better and it helps to charge manamune faster due to lower cooldowns on Q. The attack speed debuff on W will really be helpful during laning if the enemy goes AD carry + Support comp.

At level 9
Level 5 W does 280 Damage for an AD Ezreal with no AP with a 9 second cooldown. 31 dps
Level 5 Q does 115 (+74 base + items) with 4 second cooldown. 47.3 dps
Level 1 W does 80 Damage with a 9 second cooldown. 8.8 dps
Level 1 Q does 35 (+74 base + items) with 6 second cooldown. 18 dps

So maxing W would give around 49 dps, while maxing Q will give 56 dps, assuming Ezreal doesn't buy any AD items and is level 9. But realistically, Ezreal will probably have a few AD items by level 9, making maxing Q give even higher dps. This is also not factoring Q's ability to lower cooldown by 1 when it hits, which further help maxing Q's dps rise.

Eledhan

07-09-2012

This is a good guide.

I like the stuff you've put out there.

A couple thoughts for ya!

1 - If you're going to go with AD, and using CDR boots, consider grabbing a Brutalizer and Sheen to go with them. This puts your CDR at 25 with no runes/masteries, and gives you some pretty hard hitting Q's.

2 - Max W first. It's poke is guaranteed (can't be blocked by minions), it speeds your AS, and also slows theirs. In a fight during laning phase, it's better to have maxed W than Q. Just food for thought!

Ur little sister

07-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowyS View Post
Seems like you are right. Leveling W early is probably better for mana efficiency. But, when you don't factor in mana efficiency and want pure raw dps, I think Q is better for damage. I'll change the builds that need mana efficiency to max W first. But, for builds that use manamune, I think the pure dps of Q is better and it helps to charge manamune faster due to lower cooldowns on Q. The attack speed debuff on W will really be helpful during laning if the enemy goes AD carry + Support comp.

At level 9
Level 5 W does 280 Damage for an AD Ezreal with no AP with a 9 second cooldown. 31 dps
Level 5 Q does 115 (+74 base + items) with 4 second cooldown. 47.3 dps
Level 1 W does 80 Damage with a 9 second cooldown. 8.8 dps
Level 1 Q does 35 (+74 base + items) with 6 second cooldown. 18 dps

So maxing W would give around 49 dps, while maxing Q will give 56 dps, assuming Ezreal doesn't buy any AD items and is level 9. But realistically, Ezreal will probably have a few AD items by level 9, making maxing Q give even higher dps. This is also not factoring Q's ability to lower cooldown by 1 when it hits, which further help maxing Q's dps rise.
Q DPS IS better if you can go full spam mode, but I've found maxing W better in all builds that don't use manamune so far. Do factor in the fact that W is magic damage, so mitigation through armor (from runes, potential masteries, them getting Wriggles if they're getting destroyed, Taric or Soraka) isn't a factor. The higher burst and hitting through minions thing applies as well. To finish: Q also reduces W cooldown. Though it IS correct that Q's overall cooldown is lower than W's, AND is reduced by levelling.

FlowyS

07-17-2012

slightly changed recommended build, found out infinity edge works a lot better than last whisper to boost overall damage despite it's huge cost. Last Whisper is only good against targets of high armor while Infinity Edge is better against weaker targets. Since you want to kill weak armor targets quickly, it is recommended to have Infinity Edge for that reason.

slightly changed lightning ezreal build, black cleaver first is a bit more consistent than ionic spark first due to its ease with last hit. Of course, if you are a god with lightning procs and can kill 4 creeps with one lightning then feel free to grab Ionic Spark first.

FlowyS

07-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eledhan View Post
This is a good guide.

I like the stuff you've put out there.

A couple thoughts for ya!

1 - If you're going to go with AD, and using CDR boots, consider grabbing a Brutalizer and Sheen to go with them. This puts your CDR at 25 with no runes/masteries, and gives you some pretty hard hitting Q's.

2 - Max W first. It's poke is guaranteed (can't be blocked by minions), it speeds your AS, and also slows theirs. In a fight during laning phase, it's better to have maxed W than Q. Just food for thought!
Brutalizer is a really good item for early game, but I also have to factor in mid and late game. Brutalizer is also countered by getting a chainmail a lot more than other items such as Trinity Force or Infinty Edge. The 1337 gold vs 700 gold counter is not a good investment unless you gain so much early game advantage with Brutalizer. In all, Brutalizer is for early game dominance because when your enemy has Infinity, Chain mail, or a Trinity while you still have Brutalizer and a B.F. Sword, then your early game advantage falls. So, brutalizer for extreme early game dominance and ganking, scales badly when enemy buys armor. This is why I don't recommend it. Also, you might not have the mana to take advantage of the CDR early brutalizer gives unless you have a lot of mana regen.

FlowyS

07-19-2012

slightly changed Trinity Force Ezreal build to be Standard and switched the order of Bloodthrister and Infinity Edge because of the need for more sustained damage during mid-late game rather than pokes.

added a mathcraft. Only Standard AD build is completed but I will add in the rest once I'm not dizzy from doing all kinds of math. Lots of major updates coming.

added Vampire Specter to Lightning Ezreal Build, sell it when full build is completed. This will better help the sustain for Lightning Ezreal.