Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@Riot Inactive Summoners

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Seeker

07-06-2012

Hopefully someone from Riot can address this for me.

I've been looking into a name change for a while and it seems like every name I want is taken. Now this would be fine in any ordinary circumstance. Names get taken, I get that. But when I look up the summoners profiles, I notice nearly all of them are inactive. A vast majority of names I have looked up were summoners at level 5 that have not played a match in well over a year, so I assume they were fake accounts created to take advantage of the refer a friend program.

Will you guys ever be going through all of the inactive and fraudulent accounts and deleting them, or will the pool of available names just continue to shrink?

Nicodemous

07-06-2012

Not if they spent money, TOU or no, that is setting themselves up for a lot of stuff they do not want to deal with...

Seeker

07-06-2012

They didn't spend money. Not one of the profiles I looked up even owned any champions.

Maybe a good thing to do would be to isolate the inactive accounts and send emails to all of their registered addresses telling the player that due to inactivity, their account will be deleted in x amount of time if they do not return to playing.

Nicodemous

07-06-2012

Quote:
Seeker954:
They didn't spend money. Not one of the profiles I looked up even owned any champions.

Maybe a good thing to do would be to isolate the inactive accounts and send emails to all of their registered addresses telling the player that due to inactivity, their account will be deleted in x amount of time if they do not return to playing.

Good point, that is not a bad idea you have there, and if RIOT were able to delet a bunch of accounts that would take some pressure off the servers...

Philanthropist

07-06-2012

Quote:
Nicodemous:
Good point, that is not a bad idea you have there, and if RIOT were able to delet a bunch of accounts that would take some pressure off the servers...

Just a friendly FYI, more inactive users does not increase server load, they just sit in databases, never to be accessed, permanently in storage.

Only active users contribute to server load.

simpsonboy77

07-06-2012

Quote:
Philanthropist:
Just a friendly FYI, more inactive users does not increase server load, they just sit in databases, never to be accessed, permanently in storage.

Only active users contribute to server load.

Not entirely true. Think of when they the 10 win ip boosts for the previous down time. They had to query each inactive account to find out when it was last logged in to see if it was eligible for the boost. But yes, it shouldn't effect just normal load if nothing is going on.

Deleven

07-06-2012

they did do a server sweep and freed a bunch on summoner names a long time ago, they will eventually do it again.

gots proof:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/reclaiming-inactive-summoner-names

Hardcore Pwn

Recruiter

07-06-2012

I support this thread

Nicodemous

07-06-2012

well, where are the stored, isn't it on the servers?

spudsrus

07-06-2012

you rang......

Any yes, i would seriously love this