League of Legends Vs. Achievements!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Psychlops

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slovakattack View Post
If you would look at the achievements I have already made, you will see that they reward good gameplay. There is not a single one which would cause an achievement farmer to drag down a team.
You're mistaken, Annie will be hiding in bushes trying to get a gank with tibbers when she should be defending a tower or pushing a lane.

I repeatedly see my step son and his friends totally hose over the other players in call of duty when they're working on a achievement. working on a nuke? play a team game with objectives and camp off at a distance with a sniper rifle, or one man army and a grenade launcher build. Need x number of knife kills, run around avoiding ever taking an objective just looking for kills. Achievements breed terrible team dynamics as people are pretty selfish.

"Patience is a virtue- Stay invisible for one minute (secret)" <<< another achievemnt bad for the game

Slovakattack

09-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiuchi View Post
Stacking health on Cho'Gath is bad and I do not want to see someone stack Giant's Belts (or even worse, Warmog's) on him just to get an achievement.

Did you know that the Fountain Turret can be dodged and does more damage per hit than anything else in the game? I don't want to see an ally spend the whole game past ninja tabi suiciding into the enemy fountain for an achievement.

Discourages picking off loners and then initiating 4v5. Discourages focus fire.
Ahem.

First off, I am really glad that someone actually pointed out specifics in the achievement list. This means that we finally have something to talk about.
Second, I think your math is a bit off. For example,
Let's tackle #1.

4000 life points can be obtained by having 6 stacks on Cho as well as one Warmogs. (with maybe one other life giving item. Maybe.) End of story, no stacking required.

Now, let's tackle #2.

In the average game, being dealt 10,000 points of damage is not crazy for Jax. Now, let's say that his dodge chance is 20% (eventhough with a good build it can reach 48%-66%)

20% of 10,000 is 2,000 points of damage. You only need 1000. This achievement can be gotten by simply playing the game, and is one of the easier ones to get. No extra effort required.

Also, the player would have to be a real idiot to just go for a tower when normal gameplay often offers a higher RoF against the player.

on to #3.

How could #3 discourage the picking off of loners? What, is he gonna save them for later or something? If a player is that stupid, in all likelihood he'll screw up some other way, achievements or no.

kEnDoUkEn

09-03-2010

woohoo!!! support it

Slovakattack

09-03-2010

UPDATE: New achievables. Yay!

Slovakattack

09-03-2010

What achievments would you guys like to see in lol?

Sabnitron

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slovakattack View Post
Ahem.

First off, I am really glad that someone actually pointed out specifics in the achievement list. This means that we finally have something to talk about.
Second, I think your math is a bit off. For example,
Let's tackle #1.

4000 life points can be obtained by having 6 stacks on Cho as well as one Warmogs. (with maybe one other life giving item. Maybe.) End of story, no stacking required.

Now, let's tackle #2.

In the average game, being dealt 10,000 points of damage is not crazy for Jax. Now, let's say that his dodge chance is 20% (eventhough with a good build it can reach 48%-66%)

20% of 10,000 is 2,000 points of damage. You only need 1000. This achievement can be gotten by simply playing the game, and is one of the easier ones to get. No extra effort required.

Also, the player would have to be a real idiot to just go for a tower when normal gameplay often offers a higher RoF against the player.

on to #3.

How could #3 discourage the picking off of loners? What, is he gonna save them for later or something? If a player is that stupid, in all likelihood he'll screw up some other way, achievements or no.
Looks like a bunch of other people beat me to replying to you, so I'll reply to this instead.

1. Warmog's is a bad item, and I don't want to see Cho wearing it. Cho has plenty of HP already, and should be picking up armor/mr/ap, etc. I think everyone can agree that an hp stacked Cho with base armor/mr and no AP might as well just log out.

2. So now we have someone who doesn't know how to play Jax stacking dodge items and feeding to get the achievement, and then afking at the fountain because now they have garbage gear on a champ they don't know how to play.

3. Because they need to poison everyone instead of focusing fire to burst someone down, such as a Morgana whose Black Shield is on cooldown. It's really not confusing.

I'm not saying that I don't want achievements. I'm saying that I don't want achievements that will make people play like god**** idiots. Here are some example achievements from World of Warcraft that do not promote poor playing:
Winning SotA without losing any gates.
Killing flag carriers in WSG.
Using a catapult to get over the wall and bomb the gates in IoC.

These achievements are for exemplary game play and promote game objectives instead of a single and overall meaningless action. Examples for LoL:
Win 3v5 SR
Win SR in under 20 minutes
Kill 50 opposing champions in your base

TerisCartung

09-04-2010

Even those are going to promote bad play, though less dramatically.

Win 3v5 SR: try to harass 2 of your teammates into dropping, then try to pull a win, or just pull together a premade and drop 2 - no one wants to play 3v5 on either side, but people would try to force it anyway
Win SR in under 20 minutes: rewards over-aggressive play, pushing when it's a bad idea, etc.
Kill 50 opposing champions in your base: probably the least troublesome of these 3 examples, but still - rewards late-game turtling in even matches (both teams are at the inner turrets) for the sake of kills - in extreme cases a team might refuse to push after they ace just to grind out these kills

I think people misunderstand and underestimate the lengths to which achievement grinders will go. We've seen it time and time again, this isn't an empty prediction...almost every game with achievements inherits the same problems. It matters less in some games, but in LoL, one achievement grinder is going to be similar to one feeder; he/she could wreck a game pretty quickly.