League of Legends Vs. Achievements!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Slovakattack

09-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabnitron View Post
Achievements are already in the works. There's a grayed out tab for them in your summoner profile, man.
While it may be in the works, nobody but RIOT knows how far along it has progressed. What I am proposing is not the creation of Achievements, but how to do so in a way that benefits everyone.

Slovakattack

09-02-2010

More stuff!

Seiuchi

09-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slovakattack View Post
If you would look at the achievements I have already made, you will see that they reward good gameplay. There is not a single one which would cause an achievement farmer to drag down a team.
I'll start with the second one on the list (since I don't know what raps per minute are): save leap strike for ks's. Besides, just having character specific achievements could encourage people to play characters because they want the achievement for them instead of because that character is a good pick for the team.

Korpzer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-02-2010

I would love to have achievements in this, ive thought about it many times too haha

Slovakattack

09-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiuchi View Post
I'll start with the second one on the list (since I don't know what raps per minute are): save leap strike for ks's. Besides, just having character specific achievements could encourage people to play characters because they want the achievement for them instead of because that character is a good pick for the team.
I understand your point, but it is only valid when one assumes that there is only one or two characters for any given role. There are over 50 characters, and the likelihood that there won't be a character for a player to choose that will benefit the team is second to none. In fact, this system will convince people to buy more characters and get better with them in the long run, which completely turns your argument on it's head.

Sabnitron

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-02-2010

Quote:
I understand your point, but it is only valid when one assumes that there is only one or two characters for any given role. There are over 50 characters, and the likelihood that there won't be a character for a player to choose that will benefit the team is second to none. In fact, this system will convince people to buy more characters and get better with them in the long run, which completely turns your argument on it's head.
We've already seen how achievements work in this setting in World of Warcraft battlegrounds. It does not lead to people getting better. It leads to them doing exactly as described by other people in this thread - which is being bad and screwing over their team for a few games just to get an achievement. Your rebuttal didn't turn anyone's anything on it's head.

bumpinthenight

09-02-2010

i like the idea of achievments in LoL but i dont think that they should be used for unlocking any extra content or skins or anything like that, they should be there for poops and laughs. though i dont see how they could be effectively used in a game like LoL, being a pvp only and all

Slovakattack

09-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabnitron View Post
We've already seen how achievements work in this setting in World of Warcraft battlegrounds. It does not lead to people getting better. It leads to them doing exactly as described by other people in this thread - which is being bad and screwing over their team for a few games just to get an achievement. Your rebuttal didn't turn anyone's anything on it's head.
Fine. Allow me to be more direct. Show me ONE achievement from the list I have given that is capable of ruining a game. (If someone obsessively goes after it.)

Just ONE.

TerisCartung

09-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiuchi View Post
I'll start with the second one on the list (since I don't know what raps per minute are): save leap strike for ks's.
A more dramatic example of this is the kills with Tibbers achievement. Sure, you might want to say it's just promoting kills, so Annie's still going to be motivated to play well, but...an Annie who saves Tibbers for a kill is a pretty awful Annie indeed. There's your one.

Achievements like these are very obviously motivating the wrong sort of behavior. It feels to me like there are only two options: strip down achievements to milestones like lifetime champion kills, tower kills, etc, or leave them out entirely. "Creative" achievements are far too prone to mis-motivation.

Seiuchi

09-02-2010

Quote:
Too much Cho for ya?- attain four thousand health points
Stacking health on Cho'Gath is bad and I do not want to see someone stack Giant's Belts (or even worse, Warmog's) on him just to get an achievement.

Quote:
Dodger- Dodge 1000 points of prospective damage in a single game.
Did you know that the Fountain Turret can be dodged and does more damage per hit than anything else in the game? I don't want to see an ally spend the whole game past ninja tabi suiciding into the enemy fountain for an achievement.

Quote:
Quick-draw- poison the entire enemy team within 5 seconds
Discourages picking off loners and then initiating 4v5. Discourages focus fire.