League of Legends Vs. Achievements!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Slovakattack

09-02-2010

Hi all! I often (for fun) write up "what if" scenarios for various combinations of game dynamics, and today I'd like to tackle something that the 360 made great: the humble achievement. I know this has been done before, but never like this, so read on and be amazed!

Section One- Achievements in lol?!

First off- I think achievements and lol would go together like bread and butter. In this section, I'm going to tell you why.

To fully realize what the point of achievements in lol would be, we must go back to the basics. Basics like, why do achievements enjoy such a success? There are a variety of reasons, but the ones pertaining to lol can be broken down into three categories.

1. To show them off
2. To unlock things
3. To get them (for the sake of getting them.)
4. (Technically, OCD counts as well, but we're just going to stick with the first three.)

All of these reasons are fairly self explanatory, so now i'm going to pose a question, based on the above principle.

As a Developer, why should you implement an Achievement system in your game?

There are three reasons:

1. To keep players occupied while they lvl up to 30
2. To convince players stuck on one or two characters to try something new
3. To give players an incentive to use alternate strategies with their characters, making for a more diverse gameplay experience.
4. To distract players from game crashes and the like (yeah, I went there ;P)

Now I hope it's fairly obvious that Achievements in lol would be a good idea. The question is: how will they be implemented?

Section 2- How they will be implemented.

Now, remember the first three things I mentioned earlier? Achievements have to cater to one of those three archetypes. If they don't, they become boring and nobody want's that. Also, Imagine a slider bar with the word "fun" and the word "skillful" on either end. While there cannot be one without the other, achievements tend to gravitate toward one or the other. Keep this in mind, as the key to a good achievement is to find the balance between the two.

So, with that done, let's tackle the most important question: what kind of achievements will there be?

If you refer to the reasons why they should be here in the first place, the answer will become obvious:

1. Character specific
2. General
3. Skill based (tiered)

Technically, 2 and 3 can and will be combined, but I like threes, so there ya go.

Now, why character specific ones? This takes us back to the "use new characters and experiment" thing I talked about. People will be more likely to play as new characters if they know that they will get rewards for doing so.

Fortunately, the character specific achievements write themselves. What follows is an ever growing list of sets that will be added to from time to time:

Section 2.3- Character Specific Achievement list

Jax-

100 RPM- achieve 100 raps per minute with Jax's lamppost.

Banzai!- get a kill with Jax's leaping strike

Don't touch what you can't afford- Stun four enemies at once, within 3 seconds of dodging an attack

Who want's a piece of the Champ?- achieve a 3-1 kd ratio in a game

Imagine if I had a real weapon!- Take an enemy out in less than 3 seconds

Can't touch this- Dodge 1,000,000 points of prospective damage over the course of your career.

Dodger- Dodge 1000 points of prospective damage in a single game.

Annie-

Have you seen my bear Tibbers?- Get 10 kills with Tibbers in a single match

Hotfoot- damage 3 enemy champs at once with Annie's flamethrower attack

Reverse Mugging- Damage four enemies with a Tibbers entry

Fluff shield- Have Tibbers absorb 1000 damage in a single match

Furry Vengeance- Have Tibbers kill a player that has killed Annie earlier in the match.

The Dark Child- get a total of 100 player kills over your career.

Cho'Gath

OM NOM NOM- Make Cho-gath say "OM NOM NOM 10 times (secret achievement)

Too much Cho for ya?- attain four thousand health points

Punji Trap- Spear 6 minions with one spike attack

Top of the Food Chain- Reach 6 stacks without dieing

Feeding Frenzy- Get 100 Career kills with Cho's bite attack

Lord Bitey, Esq. III- kill 10 people with Cho's bite in a single game.

Teemo-

Minefield- have 10 mushrooms active at once

Patience is a virtue- Stay invisible for one minute (secret)

Teeeeemoooo!- Get 10 kills with teemo in a single match

Augh, my eyes! Blind 100 people over the course of your career

Quick-draw- poison the entire enemy team within 5 seconds

Camouflage- kill 25 enemies from within a bush over the course of your career

Ashe-

Skill Shot- Kill an enemy with Ashe's ult from halfway across the map

Lucky guess?- Uncover 3 enemies in a bush with Ashe's spirit hawk

Icy Grip- Do 10000 points of damage with the slow effect on in a single game

AP arrows-Kill a minion with a single arrow

The frost archer- get 100 kills over the course of your career

Gold Farmer- Farm 100 gold from minions in 5 seconds

Fiddlesticks-

CawCawCaw- Damage the entire enemy team with one use of fiddle's ult

Your soul belongs to me- Drain 10000 points of life over the course of your career

Bouncing Budgies- Achieve maximum bounce-age with "Dark Wind"

Fear Itself- Kill 10 feared enemies in a single match

The Cat and the Fiddle- Taunt Nidalee while she is in Cougar mode (secret)

Harbinger of Doom- get 100 assists over the course of your career

Taric-

Sparkley!- Buff 3 teammates at once with Taric's Shatter

Shiny!- Stun an enemy, and get an assist on him within 4 seconds

The Gem Knight- Heal 1,000,000 health over the course of your career

Hammer of Mending- Heal 1,000 damage in a single match

Assistance Required!- Get 15 assists in a single match

Ezreal-

Hair Trigger- Activate all of Ezreal's attack abilities (Q,W,R,) and do damage with all of them within 2 seconds
Close, But no Cigar- Kill an enemy that is recalling with Ezreal's ult.
Greased Lightining- Score a kill with Ezreal's E
Frequent Flyer- Warp a total of 1000 feet over the course of your career
Puree- Do 2000 in one second
Immortality of youth- Attain a kd of 10-0 or more in a single game.

< MORE INCOMING-CHECK BACK OFTEN>

The next set is a general set. It will be stuff like this:

Champion Tier 1/2/3- Win 10/100/1000

Ranked at Last!- Reach lvl 30

Expert Hunter- Kill one of every neutral animal in the game

Assist-o-matic- Get 1000 assists

Headhunter Tier 1/2/3- Get 100/1000/10,000 Takedowns

Carnage Hall Tier 1/2/3- Get 1,000/10,000/100,000 minion takedowns

Warp Pipe- Rise 3 ranks higher as a result of a single game in Ranked mode

(I will be adding to this list too)

The general set is created to counterbalance the character specific set by consisting primarily of long term goals as opposed to the character's short term ones

We Get Rewards Too?!

While it is obvious that achievement points would stack into a long term total, a reward of IP or RP for completing achievements would definitely increase their appeal. Having a reward of both might be a bit over the top, so here's how they would each work:

15 RP per most Champion achievements; 30 for general ones.

OR

60 IP for Champion Achievements; 120 for general ones.

Now, you might say, "There is no way RIOT would give away RP for achievements!" and normally, I would say you are correct. It simply does not seem like a good business model.
Something I've come to learn however, is that anything is possible with a change of perspective.
Consider this:

Why do Microsoft Points come in such odd numbers?

The reason is also what you hate about it, The leftover funny money!

Consider this scenario-

A player has taken advantage of the RP system and bought his very own Tristana skin. He is very happy, especially since he has 200 RP left over! Over time though, the 200 RP starts to grate on his nerves. "It's so useless just sitting there!" He would say to himself.
"And besides, theres this new skin i've been longing for in the store, and if I Buy RP I can get a discount and have some left over!"

Do you see where I'm going with this?

RP is only available in gift Cards of $10/$25, If he buys just one gift card, he has likely spent more money on RP than he will ever save from achievements! (and the money is set up so he'll NEVER get rid of the "funny money" once he accrues it)

But wait, there's more! Scientific studies show that Once a person does something once with no immediate backlash, the likelihood that he/she will do it again rises by 50% nearly each consecutive time!

And all this from a player that wouldn't have spent a cent otherwise...

So you see, having RP for achievements is in fact a brilliant business model (if done correctly) that will have players who would normally not pay a cent spending money on RP; while giving the players the illusion of free stuff.

Everybody Wins!

Last, but not least: What achievements would you like to see in lol?
CHECK BACK OFTEN FOR MAJOR UPDATES!
I LIKE CAPITAL LETTERS![/QUOTE]

Romally

09-02-2010

I support this thread. I really appreciate that you have taken the time to do something like this. Thanks mate. I'll stay tuned.

Sabnitron

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-02-2010

Achievements are already in the works. There's a grayed out tab for them in your summoner profile, man.

Seiuchi

09-02-2010

Achievements can die in a fire. I don't want people playing suboptimally to try to get achievements.

Slovakattack

09-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiuchi View Post
Achievements can die in a fire. I don't want people playing suboptimally to try to get achievements.
If you would look at the achievements I have already made, you will see that they reward good gameplay. There is not a single one which would cause an achievement farmer to drag down a team.

Eleoste

09-02-2010

Only problem with it is...

People may **** up normal games and such in order to attain these. Rather than winnign the game, they might just go for the achievements and not give a 10 cents abotu their team. Thats my only problem.

Slovakattack

09-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleoste View Post
Only problem with it is...

People may **** up normal games and such in order to attain these. Rather than winnign the game, they might just go for the achievements and not give a 10 cents abotu their team. Thats my only problem.
I understand your problem completely, and the frustrations it might cause, but I implore you too look at the examples I have shown. They all involve getting kills and supporting your team, as to counteract your completely understandable problem.

The ones that might cause this problem normally take no more than 1 min. to do, so as not to trip up a team.

Also: Update!

Dan Daze

09-02-2010

No, achievements will interfere with gameplay, it also just makes for more epeen size comparisons.

Romally

09-02-2010

The monetary incentive would push players to strive for better performance to reach those goals and probably increase their gameplay value long term. A lot of those goals rely on features of gameplay that come naturally for those champions. That is pretty good. You wouldn't want obscure tactics to be used during gameplay to achieve goals that can shift the match in the wrong direction.

Edit: It will also promote the use of other champions. Something I think every player needs to run a course at least once or twice on to be familiar with their mechanics. This will help with countering tactics as-well.

Tempestt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-02-2010

I want to see this