Sick of being told "That's Not the current Meta".....

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NME Potato Zero

07-05-2012

Testing new things in unranked? Follow General Azingy and lead us to the new meta in 2k+ elo ranked games!

Doril

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-05-2012

It's because 90% of the time, people DON'T UNDERSTAND why people follow the meta. So they'll try an idea that mostly won't work (Ex. Playing a carry as a support. You'll be pretty useless mid-endgame without farm unless your opponents are significantly more unskilled than you or do dumb things.

It's hard to convince people that you are in the minority that understands the meta and want to try something that could potentially work. By not following it, you're giving your team a significant disadvantage, which could be fine if you are godlike, but even then it's a hard argument. I once played a game with my friends against 5 well-known players (Hotshotgg level, etc.) who went 5 AD carries. They were clearly more skilled than us, but we won because of the inherent disadvantage of their team comp (IE. No team comp).

CuteCake

07-05-2012

note to op and anyone agreeing, you're not breaking the meta. you're still in it, you're just being stupid.

Bukumber Express

07-05-2012

I don't even really understand what the meta is. I just generally pick the same four or five champions and play them wherever there's space. Even in ranked matches... I know ranged ad champions are supposed to play on the bottom with a support, but I played a ranked as Miss Fortune in the mid lane without any trouble (from my team).

AJStarhiker

07-05-2012

A meta gives some structure to the game. Think of it like a basketball team. Each player has certain strengths that just fit better into certain positions. You're biggest player is going to be near the hoop because he or she can jump for rebounds easier and is less likely to get knocked out of the was by another player. Yes, you can put a smaller player into the position, but they are going to be at a disadvantage whih will likely hurt the team's chances at winning. Likewise, you can put a bigger, slower player into the point guard position, but might not have the speed needed to drive. On the other hand, the smaller player might have a great vertical for snagging rebounds or the bigger player is just that good a ball handler and can power through to the hoop

In LoL, you can play any champion anywhere. A meta is simply "This is what has been shown to work, so this is how a lot of people are comfortable playing"

In otherwords: Bruisers often play top lane, but an AP carry might surprise the other player (Who isn't expecting AP and has armor runes instead of magic resist).

Personally, I usually try to play meta because it's easier to figure out what I'm doing, but if I have a decent team (Read: not constantly insulting each other or otherwise trolling) it can be fun to play a non-standard team comp.

Vanilla Squid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-05-2012

Try new things in practice games. Those 5v5 scrims, not bots. Normal games are still for people playing to win.

Exotic3s

07-06-2012

I was not here when this happened but I hear once so long ago ad ranged carries ruled the mid lane.

Fluffyknowsyou

07-06-2012

Had a pantheon and cass bottom today, they fed until the enemy ad had a infinity edge and triforce at 25

Parthonaxx

07-06-2012

Maybe people curse at you because they dont think AD Soraka should jungle....

My point, Sure, you can try out AP Yi (For example) Heck, you might even get a few kills early game. But everyone on the team knows when 30 min comes around you will be useless and the game is a lost cause. People like the game to follow the meta because it works best. It would be really "Creative" of me to jungle Taric, but is it really a good idea? Ranked or not, the point of the game is to win, and if you intentionaly play a champ that is going to make sure that doesnt happen, then you are nothing more than a troll.

Parthonaxx

07-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog98z View Post
I just went Urgot top in a ranked game, (1100) and i steamrolled top and they surrendered at 20.
A tanky AD went top?! No way! You can tweak the meta a bit and its fine, but people who insist AP Soraka owns mid need to play bot games.

For example, Leona is not your traditional support, but can be DEADLY bot lane with a carry like Vayne / Corki.