Art Spotlight - Jayce, the Defender of Tomorrow

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tricolor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotSilver View Post
Hey Dudes and Dudettes!

Seems like a lot of people are asking about who painted this, so I figured I'd drop by and let you guys know that this one was done by me. So if you had any questions about the art, you can direct them my way.

Hey Krownus, I think the outline you're referring to is my thumbnail sketch. My process involves a little bit of exploring with tiny sketches before hand to get the composition and colors pretty much figured out before moving on to the final. That thumbnail sketch was painted by me along with about 6 others for this particular splash. Moving forward the splash team is looking into recording our thumbnail and color comp process when possible to give you guys a better sense of how a splash image comes together, but in the mean time, I hope you guys enjoyed this spotlight and hopefully my fellow artist summoners picked up a few things about my painting process as well.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions!

Peace out cubscouts.
dont get me wrong...you are clearly good at it^^...but i think this one the most boring spotlight since u started doing it for a couple reasons:
- looks like half of the time you are working on his face....(looks a little boring when you spend 3 minutes just fixing his hair/smile)
- doesnt really finish the art (like...the background)
- where did the lights from his hammer come from? there was nothing...and then there was some lthunders...

showing the sketchs would be really nice...
sry for the comments...like i said...you are clearly good at it...is just that this one looks a little boring to watch...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ArmouredWarPanda

07-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotSilver View Post
Hey Dudes and Dudettes!

Seems like a lot of people are asking about who painted this, so I figured I'd drop by and let you guys know that this one was done by me. So if you had any questions about the art, you can direct them my way.

Hey Krownus, I think the outline you're referring to is my thumbnail sketch. My process involves a little bit of exploring with tiny sketches before hand to get the composition and colors pretty much figured out before moving on to the final. That thumbnail sketch was painted by me along with about 6 others for this particular splash. Moving forward the splash team is looking into recording our thumbnail and color comp process when possible to give you guys a better sense of how a splash image comes together, but in the mean time, I hope you guys enjoyed this spotlight and hopefully my fellow artist summoners picked up a few things about my painting process as well.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions!

Peace out cubscouts.
Really nice work on this one. Seems like you spent ages getting the face just right but I think it really paid off in the end. That and he has some of the mightiest eyebrows the League has ever known.

I'd really like it as a learning artist if Riot released a version of the art spotlight with some artist commentary; I know Kienan Lafferty does his tutorials and occasionally mentions some of the stuff he's done for League and it's all really awesome to see. Plus it means we get to see the people behind the art a little more, which to me is always a good thing