[Tactics Guide] How to Break a Gank Squad

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Razerwind

11-07-2009

I'm not sure I understand this guide. The counter to a gank squad is...killing them? The reason they're a gank squad in the first place is because they keep killing you. They're levels above you because they started the ganking process early. Fighting a gank squad essentially means both teams will either end up with 1 or 2 left that are nearly dead, or everybody dead, or one team dead and the other team all up. And if you're having trouble with the gank squad, chances are your team is the ones who will end up dead fighting them.

Asvarduil

11-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
There is some inherent risk to the strategy of engaging the gank team.
Touche...but I'm sure you'd equally agree it's somewhat unavoidable. A team dominating the map with mobility and efficiency is probably not going to be defeated by a single or two players (unless of course you're a pretty hardcore AoEr duo, like Milbernator and buddies probably are.)

Attacking the B team, as Ennyn Messor pointed out, is also a good idea, as you do have a modicum of control over the gank squad. Of course, it's possible if they figure this out, they could figure out to switch from 'gank squad' to '4 man push with electric-guitar-distraction-solo-that-roxxors-you.'

As far as Cybermonkey goes - 5 man pushes are probably only counterable by a full-on assault, or again some mean AoE. For all intents and purposes, my proposed 'Smash and Frag' is a form of a 5-man push.

I'm playing games, waiting for these situations to emerge so that I can continually test this, and all the other posed, strategies and counter-strategies. Certainly additional input, whether theorycraft or not, is helpful!

Bait

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2009

you didnt mention clairvoyance? ultrafail.

Delclesiano

04-29-2010

and when the gank squad is a tower killer???
its better for run or fight?

Barnabus

04-29-2010

How to break a ganksquad:

Have your backdoor character backdoor.

Frykka

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-29-2010

A three man mobile tower defense preferably all with the tower buff spell can shut down a 5 man push... just keep the minions down near the tower and the gank squad cannot gank or push... HUG THE TOWER and DO NOT CHASE or take bait. All Tanks and ranged do well here.

The other two pushers meanwhile must also be highly mobile doing hit and runs on minion groups and opponent towers. These two pushers should have the tele to minion spell and rally/ghost to take towers down fast and escape/recall. Play to frustrate the GS. Melee DPS do this best, Yi, Garen, any built for speed and damage.

I have seen this strat work particularly when you see an AOE or STUN gank set at loading, adjust your spells for the GS and win. All must be good at their job, and a constant spot on the GS helps even more. The gank squad must disperse to cover the lanes if you start getting the push near their base then form your own 5 man push to an inhibitor. GG

At this point the only spec that can engage a AOE gank squad is a 5 tank/clense/heal/silence group

Yellow Jester

04-29-2010

tl,dr: Defeating a gank squad: step 1: be a bigger gank squad.

Frykka

05-04-2010

After a weekend of play the main ingredients to winning the GS fight.

1) 2 cups of DO NOT DIE at lvls 1-6... it's not worth falling behind
2) 1 oz of gear up correctly and timely - mix thoroughly with step 1 / gold generating gear first
3) 2 tblsp of Know your toon and hotkeys as if they are your appendage, ya know, the one you play with a lot.
3) 1 tsp of DON'T FEED, DON'T DIE at lvl's 6-11. Mid game transition from lane-ing to setting tarps. be the trap setter not the tarp walker.
4) Pinch of be the better bigger smarter gank squad, stop them at your tower then quickly push the same lane back to their inhibitor. Send pusher to short bursts on other lanes... in-out
5) Dash of luck, mostly that your opponents have an idiot who will feed you or push solo too far that you can drop. pick em off one-by-one if possible. Run away rather than die... do not go in too far when facing all 5, let the ranged do their job, melee protect ranged until someone commits to you.

All of my loses are usually due to a idiot on my team who doesn't listen and goes solo. Bad form.

Pathen

05-04-2010

Wait... did you just build up to an Anti-Gank-Squad strategy that consists of: "Go and Kill them?"

Doesn't this solve pretty much every LoL problem intrinsically, assuming you can pull that off? Usually gank-squads form when a team has been consistently winning teamfights.

Taios

05-30-2010

How I beat the ganksquad?

Well, simple fact is, if they're out ganking, there's nobody pushing their lanes. I jump in there and I push them for them. If my team is a bunch of idiot pubs, they'll cry that I refuse to bunch up in a big 5v5. I personally think 5v5s are a huge mistake if you're not already going in with a big advantage.

5v5s might SEEM like a big idea, but it has the appeal to me of two men holding guns to each other's heads. It's simply a no-win situation where the stakes are too high, and it's no fun.

What you do is, you push their lanes. Don't stay in any one lane, and only push a lane if you can account for at least three or four people on the enemy team. And once people on the opposing team start disappearing, change lanes.

I myself usually do this as Teemo. I have lots of mushrooms in the jungle to warn me of movements, Move Quick to outrun them, Teleport to outmanuver them, and Camouflage for when I feel like playing mindgames. Just when they think they have you cornered, run into a piece of brush, and double-back right before they enter. Run over that patch of 5 mushrooms you left by mid. Get them to overextend, then lead them back to the waiting arms of your team. With all their skills on cooldown trying to kill you, they will be unable to defend themselves.

I only engage the squad head-on in two situations: at their nexus, or at mine.