RIOT PLZ. Orianna "buff" is more of a nerf (MATH ITT)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gurei Fullbuster

07-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
* These changes make her 'cleaner': This is important for making your skill with Orianna not fighting against clunkiness of skills, but instead acting, reacting and making in-game decisions. For some reason, this is a contentious value because snooty players can perceive any usability change as noobification (which is just...wow), but overall it lets you focus on her core gameplay.
I'm going to remember this for all time. Until you do, I'm going to keep asking you to rework Nidalee's pounce and then quote this (specifically the part I underlined) if any Rioter tries to disagree.

Xypherous

Systems Designer

07-12-2012
11 of 22 Riot Posts

Quote:
I'm going to remember this for all time. Then until you do, I'm going to ask you to rework Nidalee's pounce and then quote this (specifically the part I underlined) if any Rioter tries to disagree.
I thought I did this last patch where I stopped her from randomly flipping around. :P

MisoSowee

07-12-2012

Wow glad to see the post Xyph, ESPECIALLY with the ult stun issue. You mentioned as a corollary to mana efficiency being accuracy. The thing is at the moment even hitting all of your q-w or q-w-e combos will leave you manaless very quickly early game. Now I'm not saying that we should make her spam happy all the time, but I think a scaling mana cost on q (and a readjustment on w) will help. that way she won't be quite so oom early game, but she'll always have to worry about mana well through mid and late game, provided they did not buy a mana item. Additionally, it will make the pull of maxing w first a bit more alluring, promoting diversity. At the moment if you max w, the 50 mana "hidden fee" of Q really hurts.

Hope to see good things in the next patch!

Xypherous

Systems Designer

07-12-2012
12 of 22 Riot Posts

Quote:
Hope to see good things in the next patch!
It's too late to do things about mana next patch - but if her mana issues still remain a problem, we'll be looking at them. We haven't felt that her mana issues have been problematic with her increased accuracy on spells. The Q/R changes should be in for next patch and some display fixes for her autoattack range - but that's it for next patch - We're still tracking. The majority of high ELO streamers that I've been tracking have been doing really well and it's actually a little scary at the moment.

Internally, I've felt that with a standard mp/5 setup + doran's ring that I rarely run out of mana if I take advantage of my entire kit (Q/E/Passive) for my poke. However, I suspect might be worth it to look at 'WE's early mana cost if the early combos are a terrible mana sink.

Flipsy

07-12-2012

Reading before committing to post.

Worst PIayer NA

07-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
It's too late to do things about mana next patch - but if her mana issues still remain a problem, we'll be looking at them. We haven't felt that her mana issues have been problematic with her increased accuracy on spells. The Q/R changes should be in for next patch and some display fixes for her autoattack range - but that's it for next patch - We're still tracking. The majority of high ELO streamers that I've been tracking have been doing really well and it's actually a little scary at the moment.

Internally, I've felt that with a standard mp/5 setup + doran's ring that I rarely run out of mana if I take advantage of my entire kit (Q/E/Passive) for my poke. However, I suspect might be worth it to look at 'WE's early mana cost if the early combos are a terrible mana sink.
Hail our new (Soon TM) overlord and leader. League of Xypherous' Champions forever!

Zerglinator

07-12-2012

Xypherous returns in glorious mathematics!

Where have you been, Xyph?

Xypherous

Systems Designer

07-12-2012
13 of 22 Riot Posts

Quote:
Where have you been, Xyph?
Just helping out with various projects - such as being able to help on finishing stealth and a lot of little things that have been annoying for a while like fixing Event Horizon and such.

Gurei Fullbuster

07-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
I thought I did this last patch where I stopped her from randomly flipping around. :P
Well my main problem with it is I can't pounce where I want to when I want to very easily. You have to be facing the direction you want to pounce in order to pounce that direction. This feels extremely clunky, and is very frustrating when I die or miss a kill because I couldn't/didn't pounce the exact direction I wanted to. (example of a dash skill that doesn't have this problem: Vayne's Tumble) I realize this has been asked before several times, but I lacked the logical argument to back up my wish to have this changed. Morello's post had exactly what I already knew but didn't know how to properly put into words. This is a prime example too of how it's worth it (to Riot specifically) to adjust a champion in order to be able to improve their usability.

I have literally just stopped playing Nidalee completely even though she's one of my favorite champions in the league because it's just too frustrating trying to control that clunky pounce.

Xypherous

Systems Designer

07-12-2012
14 of 22 Riot Posts

Quote:
Well my main problem with it is I can't pounce where I want to when I want to very easily. You have to be facing the direction you want to pounce in order to pounce that direction. This feels extremely clunky, and is very frustrating when I die or miss a kill because I couldn't/didn't pounce the exact direction I wanted to. (example of a dash skill that doesn't have this problem: Vayne's Tumble) I realize this has been asked before several times, but I lacked the logical argument to back up my wish to have this changed. Morello's post had exactly what I already knew but didn't know how to properly put into words.

I have literally just stopped playing Nidalee completely even though she's one of my favorite champions in the league because it's just too frustrating trying to control that clunky pounce.
Let me check up on the targetting-tech that we need to make this happen. I know it's on our backlog somewhere but somewhat difficult to actually pull off.

Ideally, Nidalee/Riven players would be able to 'select' which targetting type they want (forward facing spam happiness or mouse facing fine control) - which would be amazing... assuming the tech constraint isn't ridiculous. Right now, we default to what would be the best for 'spam-happiness' but it does mean that a subset of our playerbase just can't stand that type of control and can't use it.