Question: How do you counter Swain?

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Erifox

07-03-2012

So I just played a game and I will admit, I got beaten. However, I'm not the kind of person to say "oh, so and so champion is OP. Pls nerf.". Instead, I want to learn how to better to counter Swain so I can do better next time against him! I just tried him out in a custom game to see his spell ranges and found some weaknesses to him and it seems like countering him is relatively tricky. I mean, before level 6, I believe Swain is pretty harass-able since he doesn't have his ultimate to heal him, but once he hits 6 (and assuming he has a catalyst or RoA for the larger mana pool), it's very difficult to out-harass him out of lane/deny him farm or get an kill on him. And if you pick up ignite and ignite him when he's next to your minions so it reduces his healing, then can't he just wait until his ult is back up in 7 seconds to just reheal? I know fizz would hard counter Swain very well since Fizz can burst people full to zero and because he has a grevious wounds passive ability, but I'm not asking who hard-counters Swain. My question is what basic strategies and tips can I use to take down Swain or at least out farm him in lane? The last champion I used was Ahri and I know that Swain counters her pretty well, but nevertheless if you can include some tricks on how to play against him as Ahri as well, that would be really nice! xD

So some ideas that come to my head to at least be able to stay against him in lane (though many or some may not be accurate):
- Pick up an early negatron cloak to survive his damage and stay in lane
- Pick up 2 doran's rings for the extra sustainability and health
- Take ignite so that he can't heal when you go in for the kill or when he decides to be very aggressive
- Pick up a hextech revolver after negatron and doran's rings so that you can sustain against him as well (if you need even more sustainability, then perhaps pick up a WoTa?)

Anyways, I'm not an avid Swain player so I don't know too much about his weaknesses (these notes are just from what I picked up from one custom game, haha), but if some of you avid Swain players out there can give me some good suggestions (especially on how to go against him as Ahri ) then that would be really helpful. Thanks everyone!

BlueQuail

07-03-2012

Have you met Veigar?

PrincessDerpy

07-03-2012

Use a gun.

And if that don't work, use more gun.

Poisonpowder

07-03-2012

As Ahri, build some early mres. You will win trades.

Erifox

07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueQuail View Post
Have you met Veigar?
I don't mean to be rude, but I said in my thread that I wasn't looking for who counters Swain versus how to counter him. I'm assuming you didn't read the thread? :O

Insípid

07-03-2012

Ignite and katarina says hi.

Sticky Yurple

07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueQuail View Post
Have you met Veigar?
Most idiotic general discussion post. This is why you don't ask for advice here.

Cass is the best AP against him atm.

BadShotQQ

07-03-2012

Everyone that has "sustained nuke" is good against Swain.

Champions like Cass and Ryze, or harder nukes like Annie or LB.

Bastilico

07-03-2012

Swain is a strong area control mage. He's also angry when someone pokes him with a death ray and his only reliable poke back (torment) can't reach the opponent.

Moral of the story: Swain's damage and kill potential is much higher closer to him. He also hates Quicksilver Sash for ripping off torment (and the 20% increased damage it gives him).

Poisonpowder

07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiredKill View Post
Ignite and katarina says hi.
His ult sustain during fights isn't really his lane strength.
His lane strengths are the ability to DoT you and walk away for no damage, and last hit the mana back.

Also, Swain that stands in front of minions hard counters Katarina.

12345 ... 6