Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Jayce's background makes Viktor look like a hypocrite and a saturday morning villain.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Senzyr

07-03-2012

I like a lot of the ideas posted. Personally I didn't hate Jayce's bio but I did end up with a lot of questions. Overall I feel like there's a lot of missing info. I'm wondering how did Viktor get peons? How "peon"-like are they that Jayce alone can take them apart, and if they're so incompetent why does Viktor even have them around, I feel like Viktor wouldn't allow such failure. I saw him as a solo, tragic figure. People serving under him seems unlikely, also considering that he doesn't really seem like a person people would flock to serve.
I also would prefer to leave an actual fight for the future, i feel like if you put their first fight into Jayce's bio it wouldn't do it justice, it would always feel like the loser would be inconsistently weak. Unless it was a draw, but then that would feel inappropriate still. I wish i could offer suggestions to fix but hopefully more input will allow Riot to improve and work on better lore too !

Shizuhara

07-03-2012

The direction you say you're taking and the direction the lore says you're taking are at odds. It might serve you well to re-visit the lore and make sure you're sending the right signals.

The main questions are:

-Why is Victor stealing? (Why can't he make it himself, where is his pride, etc.)

-Why is Victor creating WMDs to use against Piltover?

-Why is Victor defeated so easily? (He has a DEATH ray, for crissakes.)

From a Jayce standpoint, the lore is passable, but the cost in terms of the cohesiveness of the lore as a whole and the integrity of an established character is too much.

It's not easy to show champions changing over time since all champ lore snippets can be read at once...that was a job best handled by the journal of justice.

somnambulater

07-03-2012

I was honestly hoping that jayce's story would include the C villian from cait's lore.

IreScal

07-03-2012

Quote:
RiotRunaan:
It isn't Jayce's opinion of himself, it's just a story about his particular moment of glory. The point is that some of his actions in the story can be seen as flaws that may hinder him in his future endeavors, though. Jayce is a hero at heart, but he's going to run into challenges and struggle along his journey.

Thanks for the feedback and all, but wouldn't something like this be played out in a medium like the Journal of Justice? I think it need a replacement, maybe like conflicting propaganda from Zaun and Piltover newspapers/scrolls/holoscreens, what have you.

Ebonmaw Dragon

07-03-2012

Quote:
Remixer97:
Riot could easily villianize Viktor in the same manner as Darius. Darius is technically an anti-hero, as he fights for the strong Noxus he envisions. He does this in a pretty malicious way- killing everyone who he deems as an enemy or unworthy. He's working for a "better" Noxus by being a mass murderer. As such, the characters intentions or actions may not be necessarily evil, or be considered evil by them, but they conflicted with the commonly accepted moral and ethic perceptions of what's good behavior.

lets see GAREN IS A BAD GUY WHO KILLS PEOPLE AND THEN DARIUS GO FIGHT HIM BUT GAREN RUN BECAUSE HE IS A COWARD.... makes sense?

Prince Kassad

07-03-2012

You know you have made a terrible "hero" when people instinctively root against them. Jayce looks boring and uninteresting to the max.

TootlesTheGoon

07-03-2012

Quote:
Susilo:
Agreed that Viktor's motivations should be changed. Make it so the item he stole was originally born from a blueprint that was stolen from Viktor. Thus, Viktor has rightful claim to the item, in his mind.

Also, Viktor should not be defeated. his battle with Jayce should cause so much destruction in Viktor's lab that it collapses around them, cutting the two off from each other. Jayce makes it out of the rubble with his item in hand, but Viktor is nowhere to be found. When returning, Jayce finds out that Viktor is a member of the league, so that would be his motivation for joining.

This^^^^^
Please x1000
This would be perfect.

Joseph Dom

07-03-2012

Quote:
Shizuhara:
The direction you say you're taking and the direction the lore says you're taking are at odds. It might serve you well to re-visit the lore and make sure you're sending the right signals.

The main questions are:

-Why is Victor stealing? (Why can't he make it himself, where is his pride, etc.)

-Why is Victor creating WMDs to use against Piltover?

-Why is Victor defeated so easily? (He has a DEATH ray, for crissakes.)

From a Jayce standpoint, the lore is passable, but the cost in terms of the cohesiveness of the lore as a whole and the integrity of an established character is too much.

It's not easy to show champions changing over time since all champ lore snippets can be read at once...that was a job best handled by the journal of justice.

This lore does need to be explained from Victor's side. (Maybe in a Journal of Victor)

Why is he stealing?
He doesn't care about the technology he could eaisly make and better. His goal was to provoke a response. Using this to start a conflict between two technology based city-states. This will lead to an arms race causing technological andvancement. (Fire tempers Steel)

The WMD was an assumption made by Jayce but used by Victor to demonstrate a threat that will need a response.

The reason he was "defeated" was he was not looking for a fight and he need someone alive to tell the tale. A story on one's personal victory will more likely get spread.

DevlJoe

07-03-2012

So basically, what I'm getting from this is that Riot has no way to effectively explain lore relations within the short background paragraphs attached to each character and needs some supplemental way of expanding our understanding of the story they are trying to tell and to ensure that we don't misinterpret any new character's actions or stories.

Sure is great thing they got rind of the JoJ, a tool to do exactly that!

Merluza00

07-03-2012

Jayce doesn't look arrogant on his lore. But the storytelling of his lore was "Jayce did this, and then that, and then that, and then Viktor did these and Jayce did that"... looks like jayce wrote it to tell his version of the story, putting emphasis on how brave, brilliant, heroic and charmful he was and how pathetic and mean Viktor is, making Viktor even look like a loser.

It is sad that a champion needs to destroy another champion's lore just to look more brave. I wouldn't mind if the story was about "Jaycehated viktor and they fought and jayce won", but making Viktor look like a stealer???? the champion who promotes "the glorious evolution" needs to steal things to a human?????? WTF!!!!!! this is really inconsistent