101 is going to be the new cool land mark champion not 100.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LordHippoman

07-06-2012

Morello delivers.

Zoar

07-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by morello View Post
while i maintain that jayce's whole weapon-transforming thing is really fun, it's really not about some big mega-release milestone. It's a nice round number, sure, but i think it'd be kind of ****ty of us if we were holding something back for this that we'd had been capable of doing previously.

I kind of see it as every champion needs to be a milestone of some kind - just trying to do something we hadn't done before in regards to gameplay, art, lore, or any mixture of them. I'll talk more about a couple of the big issues (monsters, why 3 masculine-style males so close) in a future post, but for this i wanna focus on the specific "champ 100 thing." i feel if there was something more special we could have done here, why aren't we doing that for every champion?

I actually did a quick interview for a cool little video that takes a look back at our first 100 champions...it shows some of the process we use and a bit of revealing the man behind the curtain. I think that goes live next week.

So, i probably shouldn't do this, but what the hell. I'm really stoked about champion 101 too because i got to work much much more directly on it than i usually do and it's an archetype i think we've needed. I'll....plant a little teaser for you.

(hint, she's not made of flesh):
obviously a *** robot sent from the future

NenSense

07-06-2012

after seeing the picture in Morello's post I think we can all be sure that champ 101 is a plant based nature mage

sicdeath

07-06-2012

Looks like a female plant champion?

She looks purdie

jackbro

07-06-2012

It's the spider woman.

LiFTeDyourFACE

07-06-2012

****...I told myself I probably won't buy anymore champs...I want that f'in plant champ...

Futurecat

07-06-2012

@ Morello - I think you're being a bit short-sighted with regards to "why should we hold something back for champ 100?". I get that you, as a designer, want to utilize the full spectrum of "Technology" available to you to do your job. Champ 100 being a generic human bruiser male is fine from a "maintain the status quo" "every champ should be equally exciting and new" mentality.

It's just, too bad human beings don't think that way. We respond to big milestones. We want a little flash to commemorate the occasion. Look back on the major milestones in life. High school & college graduation. Marriage. Birth of a child. Yes, technically speaking many people have the resources to throw big parties and events any old day, if they chose to. But we choose to commemorate the big events with something special, to make them memorable. That's how humans are wired.

The community really expected something great from champ #100, and you let us down. We aren't going to stop playing or anything. But you should take it seriously from a PR and community management perspective. It was a missed oppoprtunity.

We get excited with every champ release, but we were prepared to be *blown away* by a milestone like champ #100. You guys consistently delivered such high quality stuff that we were ready to be floored by what you had come up with for #100. How awesome is it that the community believes you are capable of WOWing us, by the way? That says a lot about the quality you guys produce on a week-in, week-out basis.

Champ #100 could have been truly great, the kind of thing that people remember having been a part of. The kind of thing people tell stories about years down the line. The kind of thing people feel bad about having missed, if they came to the game after it happened. The only thing people are going to remember about Jayce release, if they remember anything at all, will be dissapointment.

Don't gloss over that.

(And the teaser art looks sick, btw).

Minishmaster

07-06-2012

So, she'll be called Zyra?

CornstalkWarrior

07-06-2012

plant based chick inc

solonash

07-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
While I maintain that Jayce's whole weapon-transforming thing is really fun, it's really not about some big mega-release milestone. It's a nice round number, sure, but I think it'd be kind of ****ty of us if we were holding something back for this that we'd had been capable of doing previously.

I kind of see it as every champion needs to be a milestone of some kind - just trying to do something we hadn't done before in regards to gameplay, art, lore, or any mixture of them. I'll talk more about a couple of the big issues (monsters, why 3 masculine-style males so close) in a future post, but for this I wanna focus on the specific "champ 100 thing." I feel if there was something more special we could have done here, why aren't we doing that for every champion?

I actually did a quick interview for a cool little video that takes a look back at our first 100 champions...it shows some of the process we use and a bit of revealing the man behind the curtain. I think that goes live next week.

So, I probably shouldn't do this, but what the Hell. I'm really stoked about champion 101 too because I got to work much much more directly on it than I usually do and it's an archetype I think we've needed. I'll....plant a little teaser for you.

(Hint, she's not made of flesh):
Is that your idea of a treet