Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide]- Shen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CrazyBear

09-01-2010

So this is my first guide. Read some other peoples guides and a lot of them seem to be lacking some detail on shen. This guide is the comprehensive guide to Shen mainly for solo queue (don't get to do a whole lot of premades).

TL;DR at bottom.

First off masteries:
9/21/0 or 0/21/9 whatever floats your boat. Make sure if you go 9 offensive you hit the spell pen. If you got 9 utility get improved ghost. For defensive I always get improved fortify as aoe taunt + fortify tower splash = Ownage.

Runes:
I run spell pen reds, dodge yellows, flat cdr blues, and flat hp quints. The spell pen helps a bit with vorpal blade and is worthwhile on a lot of champs. Dodge yellows helps a lot so you don't take as much damage when taunting 3+ people. Flat hp quints, veteran scars, and ruby crystal puts you at 860 or so hp in the beginning which strengthens your ki strike early on, also makes you a low priority to harass so you can farm better. But whatever you want to rune is fine just make sure you have a bit of health and some defense. The cdr blues are good on a lot of champs and allows you to dash more often and shaves a few solid seconds off your ult.

Summoner Spells:
Teleport: makes for good zone control and you can be practically anywhere anytime.
Ghost: Helps chase, helps runaway, good overall skill.
Exhaust: Can be used with Stand United to pretty much guarantee ganks ---- thanks nivled for that one.
Fortify: Works well with taunt and is nice to have on a team.
Heal: Works well for an extra boost to a save or for your team in general.
Rally: If someone has to have it, then it won't be as bad for you to pick it up compared to most champs.

Optimal Starting Items:
Ruby Crystal to start and build it into aegis
2nd item either getting cloth armor first if melee heavy, null magic if caster heavy.
3rd item base boots unless taking a lot of damage then get the other armor you didn't get last time.
4th item Aegis of the legion
5th Item Ninja tabi if melee heavy, Merc if cc or magic heavy.
Rest items will be discussed a little later

Rough start items aka Uncertainty Build:
Ruby crystal into heart of gold to get you some gold if your getting harassed hard in your lane and can't last hit as well as you need to. Plus you can turn this into a Randuin's Omen later which is a solid item on shen.
Then start working on your aegis.
Get boots if you find your playing pansy shen more than tank shen and need a faster escape than dashing away.
Finish Aegis.

Now you may be wondering why I prioritize Ageis of the Legion a lot. Well that's because it's awesome early on. Shen is probably the best small fight tank period. He has a sick taunt on a short cd. Minor heals if everyone attacks the same target. Early game that armor/magic res/ and damage boosts helps you win these small bouts which turns into money for better items later.

So after you get your boots and Aegis now what? Well that depends solely on what your team needs and the enemies team makeup.

Good items to pick if there team is melee heavy:
Sunfire cape - hp for passive, armor for protection, aoe damage for farming and just a little something extra.
Thornmail- taunt a twitch ult, watch him kill himself.
Randuins omen- if getting this item get heart of gold first to capitalize on gold, unless your really need the passive from wardens for your fights. Plus shen with his ulti and taunt makes excellent use of the active on this item.

Good items to pick if the enemy team is caster heavy:
Force of nature- extra regen is nice when defending a tower for a while and works nicely with vorpal blade, move speed helps a bit for the famous chasing taunts.
Quicksilver sash- underrated item on him. A tank generally ends up eating some cc which stops him from being able to tank like he should.
Abyssal Scepter- helps his skills out a bit, helps your caster do a bit more damage, and some solid magic res.

Good mixture items:
Guardians angel- only other armor + magic res item, passive is nice to become and undead ninja.

Situational items:
Frozen Mallet- if your team is lacking slows or some cc, it's nice to have some hp, attack damage, and on hit slow.
Rylais crystal scepter- Same as frozen mallet but helps his abilities more than auto attacks, little bit less hp but better range on slow since you can vorpal slow them.
Starks Fervor- helps you do a bit more damage, helps your melee do what they do even better.
SoulShroud- helps you with lower cd's helps any mana people on your team, lower's everyones cd's, gives hp, and is nice if you have some high cd people on your team like veigar.
Leviathan- if your getting a lot of assits/kills and really have few worries of dying then this is a sweet item to get.
Atma's impaler- some armor, some crit- nearly useless, but does 2% of your hp as extra damage which generally would be about 60+ bonus damage and synchronizes well with passive.

Items for when your team can win the game without you or just feel like changing things up and don't mind being called obscene names:
Guinsoo's rageblade - good hybrid item that will let him farm fairly well and deal moderate amount of damage.
Phantom dancer- good mix of stats and with dodge runes, tabi's, and evasiveness, you get a lot of dodge.
Yumuu's- pretty fun when the tank can chase really fast, and deal extra damage to boot, with taunt you almost always get the full 12 seconds.

Items to never get-
Warmogs- 99% of the time you will never be able to farm this up.
Frozen Heart- if the mana magically translate to energy.. trust me i'd be the first to use this. But since it doesn't it's not really worthwhile.
Nearly any item that gives mana- only exceptions are banshee's in rare cases when quicksilver just won't work, and soulshroud since it gives hp and helps your team a lot.
Nearly any attack damage item when playing seriously- your a tank, if you want to drop people from 100-0 in 2 seconds play a different champ.
Attack speed items: Generally worthless on shen, only time i could justify this would to buy maybe a single dagger to help farm minions up a bit.
Almost all ability power items- If it ain't abyssal scepter, or rylais don't touch it.

Game Play:
First off shen is not too great at farming. To off set this they gave him an aoe taunt so he can get up to 5 assists for lots of mulah. Then to help him early on they gave him a team teleport gankathon skill of the gods. You ulti someone then they kill the champ before you get there, you still get an assist. Good ult timing is key. If karthus is about to ult your guy in mid ulti him quick as the red mark is on you. If your annie has 20 stacks of mejai's going and she is about to die, pull a miracle move and ult her then taunt so she can keep them going. In reality you ult has two and only two choices. To gank or to save. You will have to learn to balance the two and that's not something you can just read up on and master.

Early Game: Focus on last hitting, I generally will only harass if I have someone good at ganks lanning with me. Otherwise I will melee last hit and use vorpal to last hit. If they get close to your tower taunt them in and let the tower do the work for you.

Mid-game: Look for teammates in trouble or ones that are about to gank someone. You need to focus on getting as many assists as you can. When I play with friends they generally feed me a bit early on so I can be the tank sent from hell late game. Also the great part about shen is the teleport ult. Last hit minions and gain exp/gold and then ulti whenever trouble arises or you got a good chance at getting some assists money.

Late game; Play a bit defensive and wait for one of their champs to slip up. Then taunt and pull him in to strengthen your odds. Or when your team is about to ambush, run in like a hero and taunt everyone so your team can kill them all. Also I generally don't vorpal blade as much when tanking late game, as your taunt is more important than 250 damage. Running out of energy midway through the fight is not good. So I generally prioritize dash in fights and when someone is getting weak or when taking out the tank I'll throw a vorpal for group heals. Remember shen is kind of a burst tank as i call it. 1 ult-->dash-->vorpal combo will leave you useless for a while while waiting on energy and cd's.

General Tips:
Say you got pushed out of your lane at level 3. When running make make sure to keep using your dash off cd to get there a bit quicker.

Remember nearly everyone's life is more valuable than yours. So if you have to die to save your carries life then you died in honor.

Small things like running into skill shots that would otherwise hit a teammate, or dashing into skill skillshots can help keep your team alive better. Plus your a tank that Nidalee spear may only do 150 damage to your 3k hp, but could do 500 damage to your 1.8k hp Tryndamere.

Also remember that even though you can't aoe farm minions like many champs can. Your supposed to let the carry get kills and the kill money. I know it's tempting to last hit that mofo with your vorpal but just don't do it.

Like I said earlier Improved Fortify + Dashing 3 melee champs at your turret = Mad amounts of splash damage, plus you doing your passive ki strike all the time.

Dash is your bread and butter. It gets you places quicker, gets you into a mess, gets you back out of it, and is what makes you a dangerous team player.

Remember don't ult people who are lost causes, if you see ashe getting ganked by 4 people, don't bother ulting.

Remember the most important people to taunt are the people on the opponents team who do the most damage, once they are dead taunt those who have the best escapes, only time you should break this is to save a teammate or to pull people away to split them up. Taunting the first 3 people mid and pulling them into the river allows your team of 4 to get a good jump on the guys you pulled or the exposed ranged.

Lastly, always remember to build to counter, don't be some noob who stacks sunfires and calls that tanking

Key notes:
Time your dash with stuns. Either dash and pull into an open area for a blitzkreig to grab into your team. Or conversely when sion stuns the guy.. don't dash him right away. Wait until right when it's about to finish and then taunt, or if you are sure he doesn't have a flash skill, wait until he moves a hair then taunt to string cc's together for a while longer.

Vorpal a tank minion when your teammate is low and let him hit on it to get hp back. Having a teammate being able to lane longer is better than you last hitting for just 24 gold.

If your getting harassed hard. Sometimes i wait until ki strike is up, so when i last hit they for sure die rather than having to sometimes 2nd hit a minion with shen's horrid attack speed.

Skill build:
I alternate Vorpal then dash, and prioritize Stand United. This allows him to last hit better, help with early team fights and ganks with a longer taunt. Also higher level vorpals are good for better lane staying power and harassing. Feint I generally find useless as the damage it blocks is so small unless you do a full ap build which hinders his tanking abilities.

TL;DR: Get items that counter other team and/or help your team. Aegis and boots first. Your a tank play like one. Take hits for people and help set up kills.

Leave any comments. Will be cleaning this up a bit later once I have more time. If you down vote this guide at least leave your awesome input so I can make it better.

Zealot644

09-02-2010

I tend to find Dorans Shield and an HP pot work great to start.

Followed by Mercury treads almost every time unless they are totally melee heavy. Then Aegis, Sunfire Cape, FoN, and sometimes just to make myself a threat I get Atmas Impaler :P

Then again im a Shen noob so who knows if im doing it right.

CrazyBear

09-02-2010

Bump for some updates to get viewed by the masses.

CrazyBear

09-02-2010

Added a bit more info, cleaned it up a bit, and added a tl;dr for people afraid of reading. Will add more when it comes to me. Please leave suggestions and or comments as it may be something I've never thought of or have forgotten to add.

Wyl

Recruiter

09-02-2010

i disagree with warmog being a bad item for shen, cause you still can time your Q do kill the agonizing enemy's minions and you get 10 times the effect when you kill an enemy champion so it's even better than leviathan that give 32 health per stack (that you can lose) and warmog gives 36 hp and 5 health regen per 5 sec per champion kills (and you cant lose them up)

EZSolve

09-02-2010

I +1 it not because I think its good but I just think it doesn't deserve that many -1. I think it should just be left at 0.

You nearly named all the tank items. But then in real games, its situational so you can name all of them.

And I think Warmog is 100% viable on Shen if the following conditions are met. The enemy team compose ENTIRELY of physical champions. For example like Master Yi, Tristana, Ashe, Gangplank, Garen, Jax, Sivir, Teemo or something. And you stacked at least 4 Sunfire Capes. Yes you can stack 5, then you'll walk slow but who cares. If its a game where you stacked 5 Sunfire Capes, its just for fun anyways. Yes, if you stack that many Sunfire Capes, you can run Warmog. It easy to farm. xP

Nivled

09-03-2010

1) I actually disagree on the part that "Shen is not good in farming". I usually keep up with kills as fast as the opponent.

You basically single out a 40% hp minion, drop vorpal blade and Ki-strike on it, and you got a last hit. Then bug out, then rinse and repeat. I guarantee that you can get at least 2 or even 3 minions per wave even with a lanemate.

2) I agree with the skill builds. I usually prioritize Stand United > Vorpal Blade > Shadow Dash > Feint. I don't even bother with the single point of feint until it becomes mandatory at level 13. I've seen someone laugh at me when I killed him with vorpal blade by saying that Shen with max vorpal blade is not "ideal", but it helps in ganks and keeps your health up and healthy.

3) For masteries/summoner skills. I had most success with 1/21/8, taking improved exhaust and improved ghost. Stand United into exhaust usually guarantees a kill. Exhaust is also a defensive tool to protect your teammates...

I have tried 9/21/0 with improved ignite, I don't notice the additional cooldown/attack speed. Ignite is useful endgame to get stragglers and to stop healing teams. Awareness however is useful. It allows me to get my Stand United ASAP for team fights and protect my team mates from ganks.

4) I also agree with your 2nd item build

My standard item start is usually
a) Ruby Crystal
b) Ruby Crystal -> Heart of gold, Boots 1
c) Aegis of Legion, Boots 2 of choice

If heavy physical or balanced
d) Warden's Mail -> Omen

If heavy magic
d) Force of Nature, then followed by Omen

Final Mandatory Item (but usually games finish before I get here)
e) Guardian Angel

Last thing to note:Get lots of wards!

CrazyBear

09-03-2010

Quote:
Nivled:
1) I actually disagree on the part that "Shen is not good in farming". I usually keep up with kills as fast as the opponent.

You basically single out a 40% hp minion, drop vorpal blade and Ki-strike on it, and you got a last hit. Then bug out, then rinse and repeat. I guarantee that you can get at least 2 or even 3 minions per wave even with a lanemate.

2) I agree with the skill builds. I usually prioritize Stand United > Vorpal Blade > Shadow Dash > Feint. I don't even bother with the single point of feint until it becomes mandatory at level 13. I've seen someone laugh at me when I killed him with vorpal blade by saying that Shen with max vorpal blade is not "ideal", but it helps in ganks and keeps your health up and healthy.

3) For masteries/summoner skills. I had most success with 1/21/8, taking improved exhaust and improved ghost. Stand United into exhaust usually guarantees a kill. Exhaust is also a defensive tool to protect your teammates...

I have tried 9/21/0 with improved ignite, I don't notice the additional cooldown/attack speed. Ignite is useful endgame to get stragglers and to stop healing teams. Awareness however is useful. It allows me to get my Stand United ASAP for team fights and protect my team mates from ganks.

4) I also agree with your 2nd item build

My standard item start is usually
a) Ruby Crystal
b) Ruby Crystal -> Heart of gold, Boots 1
c) Aegis of Legion, Boots 2 of choice

If heavy physical or balanced
d) Warden's Mail -> Omen

If heavy magic
d) Force of Nature, then followed by Omen

Final Mandatory Item (but usually games finish before I get here)
e) Guardian Angel

Last thing to note:Get lots of wards!

The thing is when I mean by horrible at farming. What I meant was when you see that group of 20 or so minions heading to your tower, many champs can use like 1 skill the clean the mob up. While shen would have to auto-attack and vorpal them 1 by 1, which makes him a pretty slow jungler and not to great at quick farming. Sure most champs can get 2-3 kills in a minion wave with good last hitting. It's when your trying to clear out quite a few for quick easy gold that shen lacks at.

As for Warmog's. You can use it on shen but generally If I were to build it I'd get it last after guardian angel even and most games don't last that long, hence I assumed most people wouldn't be able to farm it fast enough or have it worthwhile on him.

I like the idea of Stand United---> exhaust---> gank combo. I'll add that to the guide. With heart of gold lately i've been getting that first in solo queue as generally you don't really know what your teammates are going to do. Also some games your just mainly there to save people rather than get assist's from helping people gank. But if your doing well I generally rush the Aegis so my team can benefit from me even more.

livestock

09-03-2010

this guide is just like every other one. brings nothing new. also i find starting with ruby crystal (no pots) its hard to harass and take harassment and may end up having to recall