how can i check ping in the lobby?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IPewPewUQQ

11-04-2009

I like to play LoL at home and at school, but my internet speed varies greatly throughout the day due to network congestion. It is very frustrating finding out my latency is at 5000ms after i join a game.. so is there a way to check my ping BEFORE i join the game? Either an in-game chat command or an external program?

Jesse Perring

NOC Technician

11-04-2009
1 of 1 Riot Posts

The game server you end up being connected to isn't predictable, but you can try running a general speed test at a site like dslreports.com. Try testing to an LA based server.

One of their speed tests:
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1

IPewPewUQQ

11-04-2009

thanks!

Jus11

11-25-2009

I am having the same problem but I don't think that it is a problem with my connection, as I tested my internet speed as suggested (tested while loading) and my latency was around 100ms and down speed ~1.4 MB/s. But when I go back to load screen it shows 999 and when I get to game there horrible delay and most of the time I'm disconnected.

This problem has happened way too often, ruining the game for everyone. There is no way to get an idea of my connection to the server? I don't know, maybe a list of possible servers and latencies??

Also, how do you check ping during game (ie how would you know you have a latency of 5000)?

deyvetown

09-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Perring View Post
The game server you end up being connected to isn't predictable, but you can try running a general speed test at a site like dslreports.com. Try testing to an LA based server.

One of their speed tests:
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1
I'm sorry, but that isn't an adequate response. Your general speed is much different than what your ping to a specific server/group of servers is. You need to implement some kind of system which you can access from the game-client lobby to test what your theoretical ping to the LoL servers is. It has been on too many occasions that I have had perfect internet speed and myself and others in-game (sometimes just me, sometimes multiple players) have had pings up to 999 and have rendered the game completely unplayable.

Especially in a game that relies on stats, and grants leaver status to those who disconnect from the game, no matter what reason, you need to have some way to ensure that the session you are about to start isn't going to experience these problems, because I would much rather wait and do something else until the server activity has returned to normal rather than suffer the frustration and of clicking furiously to have your character moves joltingly halfway across the screen and then die for reasons unseen to you.

For the collective stress levels of LoL players around the world, please try and attend to this issue.

0bese No Lifer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-29-2010

Such a bad response Jesse,

I done that test, 551 Latency -.-

But I'm in Australia, so build a server in Australia so I can play With no lag, Thank you!

Avalan wypierdol

06-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyvetown View Post
I'm sorry, but that isn't an adequate response. Your general speed is much different than what your ping to a specific server/group of servers is. You need to implement some kind of system which you can access from the game-client lobby to test what your theoretical ping to the LoL servers is. It has been on too many occasions that I have had perfect internet speed and myself and others in-game (sometimes just me, sometimes multiple players) have had pings up to 999 and have rendered the game completely unplayable.

Especially in a game that relies on stats, and grants leaver status to those who disconnect from the game, no matter what reason, you need to have some way to ensure that the session you are about to start isn't going to experience these problems, because I would much rather wait and do something else until the server activity has returned to normal rather than suffer the frustration and of clicking furiously to have your character moves joltingly halfway across the screen and then die for reasons unseen to you.

For the collective stress levels of LoL players around the world, please try and attend to this issue.
Well, they won't do it cause its impossible. It's because they won't start any dedicated servers, cuz its better to put money in pockets then do something bout the game, the crashing client and other things, that makes people mad. "fu*k it, they're gonna still play it and pay for addons".