Mirrei, the Lightweaver

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ModelT

07-30-2012

LIke a bolt from the blue...

It's a reaper's review.

Tragedy strikes everybody today. Midway through this review, I slipped my laptop and smashed the exact button combination to close the tab. Right? I will try my best no to seem awkward an rushed the second time through as I try to not feel rushed or remember all the stuff I already typed. However, personal problems aside, IT'S REVIEW TIME!

And like all of my reviews... let us start with...

Abilities
Passive: Illusionist's Guile
I'm gonna say a few things about this ability. First, it's very complicated with lots of clumsy interactions with vision, wards, stealthed units, etc. In regards to that, the coding would also be real difficult to balance. I'd honestly say put this somewhere as an active stealth ability. You want an active stealth ability that triggers only when you'd regularly activate an active stealth ability during the laning phase... after the lane phase... this passive becomes kind of awkward and diffifult to trigger, making it a lot harder to stealth into the CC combos.

In regards to the stealth CC combos... that's exactly why they nerfed Eve in the past. Understandable that this character isn't meant to be an assassin OR bursty, but even Soraka can deal a considerable amount of damage in four seconds... which in the paragraph following this sentance is an extimate of how much time you can CC somebody into the dirt... and the ability to stealth up to somebody and DO that... too much. More on this later.

[U]Q: Flashblind[U]
Honestly, I am in LOVE with this ability. It is typical AoE, magey ability, with a REALLY unique form of crowd control. Only two champions have abilitys that actively effects enemies vision. I'd say even the base damage seems a fair amount. I would change two small things, one for mechanics and one for ... health reasons. First, I'd note that this debuff is effected by Tenacity, since anti-vision IS a form of CC... though BOTH other abilities that function in the relm of anti-vision have ridgidly defined rules... but I think Tenacity ought to function here. Secondly... I'd decided against the "bright white flash" animation in favor of players who are prone to seisures. Just saying.

[U]W: Fleeting Distraction[U]
The targeting and exact effect of this ability are elusive to me. I understand the vector targeting system (saying "Like Viktor's" is good enough, lol). Now, if I am correct, they wander randomly around in the Area of Effect if the sparkle gets close to them?

It's a bit confusing in the description.

HOWEVER, regarding the effect (and my best understanding of it). It is large AoE that does nothing but hard CC. This... seems just a hair OP. Look at every other hard CC. Anything this easy to use, with useful effect, isn't that fair. Every other Hard CC has a major draw back. Rammus: Stupid short range. Ahri: Difficult to aim, slow skill shot. Alister/blitz/(other simple knock back/up skills): Single target. Any AoE that has Hard CC is on an Ult... with a big cool down.

E: Glammerveil
So there is already an effect that removes the ability to be hit by auto-attacks and removes enemy ability to hit with targeted spells. The other bonus to that effect is it remvoes enemy ability to see the target. Stealth.

Toss away the passive, now you have a 1-2 second stealth you can toss around. Unique. I'd compair it to WuKong's stealth ability, but instead of having an AoE damage bit and the misdirection bit with the ability to toss it around.

[U]Ultimate: Grasp of Phantasms[U]
At first I was like, "Woah, OP." Then I read the function exactly and realized that is isn't. You've got a center radius (Similar to Leona's Ult) of 100, which has a 100% AP ratio and a powerful fear effect. Outside of that, you've got a decent CC and some okay damage. I assume that, because of the differing effects, this Ult has some casting time before the damage and CC effects take place (a second or some amount of time that isn't terribly large). I'd say you've got a solid Ult here.

Abilities Overall
So you're building a stealth tank? What exactly is the purpose of this kit other than to CC the hell out of everthing? I'd say completely rework the passive and the OP AoE charm ability into something... completely differant. You've got no real sustain so if you are on cool downs you're gonna die, but if you aren't on all your cooldowns, practically nobody can touch you. I'd honestly say change the AoE charm into an AoE nuke that grants extended vision to the target. Some ideas for her passive: A team buff (like Janna, TF, and ZIlean), a haste effect upon casting a spell that stacks (not to differeant from Ezreal's and Jax's att speed buff, but with scaling power since she is CC limited whereas Ez and Jax proc off of AAs). However, the Ult, Flashblind, and the "Stealth" ability are all exciting, and I see synergy within them if this kit were built for a solid AP caster. Maybe the AoE ability could be a field effect that slows and DoTs... like a cross between Morgana and Singed.

My real beef is that you have her as a support stealth. Meh. I'd say Caster Stealth is more appropriate, and unique. CC isn't really support, and only ONE of her abilities can actually effect an ally, which technically makes her support, but barely.

Lore and Background
Now this is where this champion really shines. (see what I did there?) This is really well thought out, makes sense, not overly cliche or dramatic in any notable way. So much thought and energy has been put into the details on not just the written back ground, but the in game animations and everything. I especially like what you did with the death animation, which certainly breaths some life into the character in a very special way. As for the characters voice, with the quotes, and the cliche "valley girl" she is based on, I can imagine actually hating her as a champion. I mean this in the best way. There is a difference between hating n00bs, poorly designed champions, and OP chamions and the special kind of why I would despise her. Normal hate is like, "Wow, that's so dumb and overpwpered and why cant this n00b do it at all, what a dumb build." Versus the way I would hate this champion, "Like... oh my god... why is a vally girl kicking my ass. (T.T)" Genius.

Final Thoughts
As an all around concept, I like it. Very solid foundation of lore and back ground to work on. Three of five abilities are very solid (though a minor tweeking on one wouldn't hurt), and the other two really need a rework. The passive is clumsy where it ought to be simplistic and solid, and the AoE hard charm CC is way to powerful, and just needs to go since you already have a "stealth (totally do this, it's what LoL needs)," a vision debuff (very unique) and a fair hard CC ult. Give her some field control and we are talking a solid AP Stealth Carry.

As for her passive, I might suggest something pertaining to her nobel background rather than her illusionist powers, since that is the basis of her life and upbringing.

Oh, and I have NO clue about the base stats. Not good at that game. Sorry.

I edited the hell out of this after I copied it out of note book... then it got deleted because this web page sucks. So I edited it again, but then it had been too long or something and the server logged me out. Fate doesn't want me to review this champion, so deal with this unedited.

Also, if you liked the review, check out my champion, and do to me what you feel I did to you.

Petyr Baelish

07-30-2012

As you might be able to tell, I designed this champion from a character, not from any intended role or mechanic. My design process was basically "what would this illusionist valley girl do if she had to fight on the fields of justice?", and then I tried to turn those effects into a balanced champion.

The passive is simplistic as far as game play is concerned. Coding would certainly be clunky because the ability has to check whether you are visible to enemy players, and whether the players you are visible to are visible to you. I feel that it does what people would expect an illusion spell to do, and it gives her juking capabilities similar to Shaco or LeBlanc, where the player gets to feel like they outsmarted the enemy team.

The charm is a moving projectile that causes units it hits to walk towards it. It is relatively slow-moving (it travels 400 to 500 units in 1.5 seconds), but you can just start it on top of them to avoid that downside and get the full duration out of it. They do not move around randomly, they follow the projectile, meaning you get to use it as a push or pull depending on how you aim it. I balanced it as compared to Janna's Howling Gale released immediately, replacing damage, distance and projectile speed with cone width, increased duration and vector targeting. Look at her hurricane, it is considered balanced.

Now, the ability to walk in stealthed, CC a target for 5 seconds, then stealth yourself and walk away is something that would reliably make low level players rage, especially if Mirrei gets fed. I feel she is not viable as a tank, because the only thing to encourage people to focus her is her CC, they can't focus her while CC'd, and they have no reason to focus her after she uses her CC. However, I can see her built as an AD carry, with the ability to protect herself for nearly 6 seconds, more than enough time to kill enemy squishies. I don't know what I should change to fix this, although I could combine Illusionist's Guile and Glammerveil into one short-duration targeted stealth, meaning no stealthed entrance and stealthed escape. Thanks for the review, your help is appreciated and any more would be welcome, I will certainly be making some changes.

Petyr Baelish

08-05-2012

Greatly increased the cooldown on Grasp of Phantasms, changed Fleeting Distraction to allow for more counterplay and dodging.

ModelT

08-05-2012

I think there needs to be some rework on the passive. I get what you want out of it, but as far as the game is concerned, it's clumsy. Having a stealth active ability would be way better. The only passive that you really have to compare with is Evelynn's stealth, which activates when enemy champions cannot see her, not just when in bushes, but the second she gets close to a champ she loses that effect. Having a small active stealth is the only way Riot could think to balance the effect otherwise.

As for the charm, there is a big difference between that and Janna's tornado. Yours has the ability to be put right on top of an enemy, and hard CC them (reliably) with a light motion control effect as well. Janna's tornado move has a charge up time (if you want damage and additional CC), it's a skill shot, AND has a dead giveaway that it is coming (IE the sound effect AND visual queue if it isn't in a bush). Aside from the lack of damage, it has no balancing effect. You just get some hard CC that's easy enough to hit with. Taunt/Charm effects are very powerful, and this is too easy to use for balance purposes.

Petyr Baelish

08-06-2012

If you noticed, the initial placement range was reduced to 600, only 50 units more than Sion's Cryptic Gaze. It was also changed to a skillshot rather than a cone, making hitting multiple targets a challenge. I am willing to consider any nerfs that retain the vector charm, but without seeing it played I feel it is balanced. It is comparable to Lulu's Glitterlance in that it is easy to use against a single enemy, but using it in an AoE requires skill.

As for the passive, I am putting a cooldown on the effect to prevent chaining. As I said earlier, the design is streamlined but the interactions are complicated.

Petyr Baelish

01-01-2013

Permabump