Jungle Jax guide by 1900+ Elo Jungler

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Manong Pipit

06-30-2012

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=29046

I will answer any question about Jax asked in this thread!

Now at 2k elo as a jungler! Hooray!

ExecutionerKen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-30-2012

Just wondering, does blade armor proc when you are in counter strike?

Manong Pipit

06-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExecutionerKen View Post
Just wondering, does blade armor proc when you are in counter strike?
Nope it does not proc Bladed Armor! Just confirmed in a custom game

Manong Pipit

06-30-2012

Gotta go for a few hours.
Will try to answer any question and update the guide a bit more when I get back.

Manong Pipit

07-06-2012

Updated
- Second skill build option
- Team fighting
- Added counter chapter and how to deal with champions that counter Jax

Still open to questions! Now in 2k Elo and can answer any questions about raising your rating!

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-06-2012

Why Jax? Why him and not OP Lee or Shyvana? Both clear faster, have some sustain or area effect damage, and are not reliant on mana.
Jax does have the stun for earlier ganks and can deal the heavy sustained damage for better endgame, but so much depends on early and midgame I would think OP Lee would work better.

Whats your experience tell you?

Manong Pipit

07-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
Why Jax? Why him and not OP Lee or Shyvana? Both clear faster, have some sustain or area effect damage, and are not reliant on mana.
Jax does have the stun for earlier ganks and can deal the heavy sustained damage for better endgame, but so much depends on early and midgame I would think OP Lee would work better.

Whats your experience tell you?
Hi, Warrrrax
I just got back from a weekend camping trip with family so sorry that this reply is just a bit late. You have a very good question and it doesn't deserve the downvote it had when I saw it.

The reason I like Jax over Lee Sin or Shyvana is because he scales much harder in to the late game. Any high elo jungler will tell you Lee Sin and Shyvana fall off late game. Lee Sin falls off because of his low responsiveness on his skills and Shyvana falls off because of her lack of CC and utility (which is why you usually see a Frozen Mallet in late game builds). To be effective you have to manage to snow ball early as Lee Sin or counter jungle hard and take every dragon as Shyvana,. As Jax, you just need to reach level 16 and up.

Jax provides a 1 second AOE stun that reduces AOE damage and blocks all physical damage. He has a low cooldown Leap Strike and Empower late game. His empower resets auto attacks making it easier to clear camps and dragon fast (similar to Trundle Q). So I believe Jax can compete with these top junglers early to mid game with lots of fall backs in case things go wrong (counter jungle, strong ganks, mobility) so he isn't exactly behind when he gets a camp stolen by superior junglers. He's just so safe in the jungle and you're almost guaranteed farm if you play jungle Jax instead of top. Playing top is just too risky because when you're behind - the problem is much bigger

With that said, guide updated! Will post the changelog for today here as well as in the Revision history located in the guide.

*July 09, 2012:
- Changed skill build priority to R>W>Q>E
- Added Lee Sin and Frozen Heart to list of counters; removed Kayle and Gragas as effective counters
- Updated runes; I now use flat physical damage marks instead of flat IAS; changed Glyphs to be full 9 scaling MR instead of a mix between scaling and flat MR; updated Rune chapter accordingly
- Updated item build; most notable change being the difference between buying a Wriggle's (jungle control) and buying a Gunblade (Scaling assassin)

Please like the guide and upvote this thread if you found the guide helpful. Thank you!.

Warrrrax

07-09-2012

Thanks for the reply. I guess I was on the right track with the harder endgame scaling factor. Hard CC certainly doesn't hurt.

Thx for upvote too. I am amazed at the losers in this forum that randomly downvote people when they ask a freaking question. I always upvote intelligently asked questions when I see them.

Ive been loving Jax in Dominion and Ill use your guide to give him a shot as a jungler. Take care!

Edit: NOte that your Empower is outdated. 40 / 75 / 110 / 145/180 damage, with 7/6/5/4/3 sec cooldown. I assumed the higher CD is really the main reason to boost this skill since you can reset your autoattack much faster with this maxed, and its so cheap manawise.

Counterstrike is out of date too. Note new cooldowns of 18 / 16 / 14 / 12 / 10
I dont really understand the 2nd level in counterstrike, its just a 2 second cooldown difference and minor aoe damage.

Eledhan

07-09-2012

Question...why would you swap out the AS runes for AD runes when the AS grant you so much more DPS?

Manong Pipit

07-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
=
Edit: NOte that your Empower is outdated. 40 / 75 / 110 / 145/180 damage, with 7/6/5/4/3 sec cooldown. I assumed the higher CD is really the main reason to boost this skill since you can reset your autoattack much faster with this maxed, and its so cheap manawise.

Counterstrike is out of date too. Note new cooldowns of 18 / 16 / 14 / 12 / 10 .
Thanks for the reminder. I'll try to change the chapter tooltips as fast as I can.
It seems like some of the tooltips on Solomid guide makers are outdated and you have to manually update them yourself. I ran in to the same problem when I made my Caitlyn guide (now outdated)

Quote:
I dont really understand the 2nd level in counterstrike, its just a 2 second cooldown difference and minor aoe damage.
I get the second level in counterstrike because after the standard jungle route of (WOLVES > BLUE BUFF > WRAITHS > DOUBLE GOLEMS) I would have already reached level 3 and I'm about to start red. I have not done real number crunching on which is the better level 3 skill but in theory, getting a second level in Counterstrike at level 3 should give me an earlier clear time when I do red buff and wolves when they respawn. The two camps I mentioned should have 3 jungle creeps each so in theory it should do more damage.

I'm just used to leveling the AOE skill over others because I'm so used to the AOE jungler meta of Nautilus, Rammus, Amumu, Udyr, Shyvana, Mundo, Lee Sin, etc. If anyone gives me some real numbers (or if I get bored enough soon) on leveling anything else but Counter-strike at level 3, I would be glad to change it in the guide. You just have to remember that the guide I'm making is just a guideline for players just getting in to the champion and if it suits your playstyle to stray from the guide, then that's totally fine with me.

Quote:
Question...why would you swap out the AS runes for AD runes when the AS grant you so much more DPS?
You have IAS from Jax' passive Relentless Assault. All his skills scale with AD and his empower resets auto attacks. It's basically the same reason why everyone advises you to stack flat AD marks on jungle Trundle or Riven.

Maybe later on in to the game, the IAS marks will greatly outscale flat AD but I mainly use runes as a bridge to get out of the early game as quick and safe as I can. So if flat AD marks give me a faster clear time as one of the greatest scaling junglers in the game, I'll take the small early game advantage just so I make it to levels 6 and up where I'm much stronger overall.