Aegis, The Shieldsworn (Review Exchange)

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yahtz

06-29-2012

- Below is a champion I designed, Aegis the Shieldsworn. Please leave comments and feedback. Numbers can be tweaked.

- He used to go by the name of Aegis the Exemplar, however someone made a good point that there is already another exemplar named champion out there, so instead I changed his title.

- I also had a thread a while ago for him, but abandoned it to remake it.

- If you will review Aegis, I will in turn review a champion design of your choosing as soon as I get the chance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Role:

Tank, Initiator, Support,

Lane Position:

Bottom support / harasser
Top counter pick
Potential jungler?

Comments:
> Although I did not intend for Aegis to be a jungler, with the attack damage given by Reckoning and the defensive buffs and the area damage given by United Defense, he might end up being able to jungle well.

Champion Concept:

I wanted to come up with a Supportive Tank that's primary goal was defense against physical attack damage dealers.Originally I was going to have Aegis use a sword, but towards the end of his ability designs I realized he had a lot of different shields, so I allowed him to be a Shield Fighter.

Visual:

Aegis is a heavily armored fighter whose primary weapon is a large round shield. He also has heater shields and a great shield strapped along his armor that he uses in combat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Statistics:

Health: 440 (+92)
H. Regen: 7 (+.85)
Mana: 235 (+40)
M. Regen: 7 (+.8)
Range: 125
A. Damage: 50 (+3.1)
A. Speed: 0.625 (+2.8%)
Armor: 18 (+3)
Magic Res.: 30 (+1.25)
Mov. Speed: 310

Statistics (at 18):

Health: 2096
H. Regen: 22.3
Mana: 955
M. Regen: 21.4
Range: 125
A. Damage: 105.8
A. Speed: 0.94
Armor: 72
Magic Res.: 52.5
Mov. Speed: 310

Ability Summary:

Reckoning (passive)Aegis gains additional attack damage every time he is hit for 4 seconds. Maximum bonus is 25% additional attack damage.

VigilanceAegis throws whatever shield he is currently equipped with at his enemy. Different shields have different effects.

United DefenseAegis rushes to an allied champion’s defense, taking a percentage of damage directed towards the targeted allied champion and remaining by their side. If used on himself he gains flat damage reduction and counters any enemy who attacks.

Bulwark (passive) – Reduces the damage taken by skillshots that hit Aegis head-on.
Bulwark (active)Aegis throws his great shield at a target location which becomes impassable terrain. Aegis can pick his great shield up after it is thrown to move it around.

Final Stand (ultimate)Aegis leaps around the battlefield redirecting basic attacks from enemy champions to hit him instead of their intended targets.

Ability Expanded:

Reckoning (Innate):
Upon being hit by enemy champions Aegis gains 6% additional attack damage and 2% for when hit by non-champion units for 4 seconds. Max bonus damage is 25% additional attack damage.

Comments:
> The passive was designed to allow him to be able to deal some damage while stacking the primary stats he needs: defensive.
> I am a little worried that the 30% might be too much and might want to tweak it down a bit.
> At level 18 with no items, a fully charged Reckoning grants 31.74 attack damage.

Ability [Q]: Vigilance
Type of Skill: Linear Collision Skillshot
Cooldown [Active]: 11/10/9/8/7 seconds
Cost: 40/45/50/55/60 mana
Range: 800 [100 further than Leona’s Zenith Blade; 100 less than Brand’s Sear; 30 more than Jarvan IV’s Dragon Strike]

Active: [Default Shield: Using Q]

Aegis throws his shield that deals 60/80/100/120/140 (+0.3 per ability power) magic damage to all enemies in a line. On the first champion the shield hits it will ricochet high up into the air.

If Aegis catches it his next attack within 10 seconds will deal 30/40/50/60/70 (+0.3 per ability power) additional magic damage and pacify the target for 2 seconds.

- [Pacify reduces that target’s attack damage to base for 2 seconds.]

Active: [Heater Shields: Using W -> Q]

If Aegis is under the effects of United Defense he will instead throw his heater shields that deal 50/75/100/125/150 (+0.2 per bonus attack damage) (+0.4 per ability power) magic damage and applies a slow of 30% on the first enemy it hits for 2 seconds.

A second shield can be thrown for half cost within the next two seconds, if the second shield hits an enemy that has already been hit by the first shield; the target is instead snared for 2 seconds.

Active: [Great Shield: Using E, grabbing shield, -> Q]

If Aegis is currently under the effects of Bulwark: Shield he will instead throw his great shield that deals 80/120/160/200/240 (+0.5 per bonus attack damage) physical damage and knocked back. Max distance is reduced by half.

- Enemies hit by Vigilance: Great will be pushed back to the end of the skillshot.
- Max range of great shield is 400

Comments:
> Vigilance is a multipurpose skill allowing Aegis to either slow down enemies using W to Q. Slow down heavy AD attackers using just Q. or knock away enemies using E to Q.
> One thing I wasn't too sure of was whether or not to make it so all his Vigilance versions scale off AD, in the end I chose AP to prevent some people from building him as an AD bruiser and ignoring his defensive options.

Ability [W]: United Defense
Type of Skill: Targeted Allied Champion
Cooldown [Active]: 30/26/22/18/14 seconds
Cost: 65/80/95/110/125 Mana
Range: 650 [Same as Irelia’s Bladesurge]
Duration: 4 seconds

Active:
Aegis rushes to the aid of a nearby allied champion, placing a leash on that target. For the next 4 seconds, or until the leash is broken, Aegis will redirect up to 5/7.5/10/12.5/15% to 10/15/20/25/30% (damage transfer decreases as the distance between Aegis and his target increases) of the damage directed towards the targeted allied champion. While the leash persists the target champion gains 5/7.5/10/12.5/15% of Aegis’ Armor and Magic Resist.

If Aegis targets himself, he will gain 4/8/12/16/20 flat damage reduction and counter attack every melee basic attack against him for (22/24/26/28/30% of his Total Attack Damage). Lasts for 8 seconds.

Notes:
- Leash range is 800 and damage reduction will be max at 0-200 and begin to decrease up to the lowest value at 800
- Decay is linear
- Redirected basic attack Damage will trigger Reckoning (Passive).

Ability [E]: Bulwark
Type of Skill: Vector Skill Shot
Cooldown [Active]: 20/18/16/14/12 seconds.
Cost: 60 Mana
Range: 700 [Same range as Leona’s Zenith Blade]
Width: 120 [30% of Anivia’s rank one Crystallize] or [48% of Trundle’s Pillar of Filth]
Sight: 425 [The same as Teemo’s Noxious Trap]

Active: Aegis throws his great shield to a nearby area, landing facing a chosen direction. The shield becomes impassable terrain with 120/200/280/340/440 (+2.5% of the Aegis’ maximum health) that blocks skillshots. The great shield lasts for up to 6 seconds.

If Aegis picks up the shield, he grabs the shield with both hands allowing him to move the impassable terrain in front of him, pushing any unit that gets in front of him, but disabling his basic attacks. Enemies take 10/12.5/15/17.5/20% of the distance they are pushed as physical damage.

If Aegis is holding the great shield, he can reactivate the ability to end the effect early. If ended early any remaining time is subtracted from Bulwark's cooldown.

Passive: Reduces the damage of skill shots that hit Aegis head-on by 16/22/28/34/40%. Cannot trigger more than once every 8/7.5/7/6.5/6 (affected by cooldown reduction) seconds.

Notes:
- The Bulwark can only be attacked by champions, champion owned units, and structures.
- Getting hit by a skill shot will not put Bulwark on a cooldown, only the damage reduction portion.

Visual: For Active Aegis throws his great shield (strapped to his chest), while Bulwark is on cooldown, that shield will obviously be missing.

Comments:
> At first I had it that grabbing the shield would simply reset the cooldown, however I thought that if he could grab the shield and move it (and by it the impassable terrain as well) it could create another chaser-like champion, except that he could push people along the shield (until they destroy it).
> One thing I am worried about is being able to push units (including allied) could screw up minion pathing and / or be abused by people, pushing teammates where they don't want to go.
> Allows Aegis to "scale" off movement, as the faster he moves the more he can push a unit before they can get out of the way (or until they destroy the great shield).

Ability [R]: Final Stand
Type of Skill: Instant No-Aim [Area of Effect]
Cooldown [Active]: 190/150/110 seconds
Cost: 100/125/150 Mana
Range: 600
Duration: 4 seconds

Aegis becomes a beacon of defense for his team, becoming untargetable in the process, reducing damage taken for himself by 25% and redirecting all basic attacks from enemy champions and 10/20/30% of the damage from enemy abilities to hit Aegis instead of their intended target. Lasts for up to 4 seconds or 10/15/20 enemy champion attacks or abilities redirected and Aegis cannot redirect the same enemy champions basic attacks or abilities more than 2/3/4 times.

Notes:
- Similar to Fiora’s Blade Waltz
- Effectively blocks 2/3/4 attacks from each enemy champion per level.
- Gains Reckoning stacks for each redirected attack
- If self-targeted United Defense is active, each blocked attack will trigger counter attack

Comments:
> Tried to tie in another level of defensiveness to him, one that other champions do not have.
> Synergies nicely with Reckoning (Passive), allowing him to fully charge it in a team fight.

Lore / Reason for Joining the League:

- Was a soldier during the Rune Wars
- The squad he was in got shipped over to the Shadow Isles to search for any advantage that might be there
- His squad was overrun and destroyed, Aegis remembers dying
- Next thing he can remember, he has no body, but now inhabits his old armor
- Knows the danger that the Shadow Isles pose
- Left the Shadow Isles and returned to Valoran
- Currently trying to raise an army to prepare for the Shadow Isle Invasion
- Joined the League to warn Valoran of the dangers that await them and try to get the city-states to unite.

Shortened Version:

Origins:
- Former human, killed and cursed to inhabit his old armor while exploring the Shadow Isles.

Purpose:
- Prepare Voloran against the might of the Shadow Isles.

(Still am working on this section)

Quotes:

Upon Selection:

The Shadow Isles are the true enemy.

Attacking:

They. Will break upon me.
We waste. Our time.

Movement:

We must. Be ready.
They. Never sleep.
They. Never stop.
We. Must unite.

TheDeathstalker

06-29-2012

I really really like this guy. Particularly (I know it's an odd thing to like, but...) the layout. You put a very succinct overview of how the Champ works right at the top, and then I got to see the exact details.

He works pretty smooth, and I like how the passive works. It's not gonna stop someone from attacking you, but it pretty well convinces them that once they start, they better try to finish the job (basically: it's a psychological taunt)

The Q is cool, but one thing that needs to be done is to make it more self-consistent. If I press Q, I should get practically the same effect every time, and not have to go "ok, that was the Fire one, so do I catch it, or do I just double cast?" Make it consistent, cause it to have the same basic physical operation, just with increased and more interesting effects. So, the two big inconsistencies are doublecasting between Q and W->Q, and the range drop on E->Q. The second isn't so big, as you've got a big physical indicator of havng the shield there, and it probably feels normal to use.

Not sure really, some of it is probably up to feeling when you're playing, but there's got to be some way to make it so Q always feels like Q, no matter what special things you've got to it.

W is not so nice. You could really get away without making it make you just follow someone. You could have it tether you to them and add the protection buff which will snap when you go too far. Or, of course, you could come up with a different skill, as the Ult does the same job better and with more umph. A nice CC or other way to piss off your opponents and get them to hit you instead of your allies would be good, but there's so much room to have fun with him that I wouldn't force something like that.

E is interesting. The active effect is unique, and the passive is very very nice for a tank, but I just can't help feeling that the active component is a bit lacking. It doesn't give him a whole lot that a self-shield wouldn't do better. There's got to be a way for this to go from very handy to absolutely awesome. You've done good so far, so I'm sure you can think of how. If not, ask and I'll help brainstorm.

R is FANTASTIC. It makes the passive feel awesome and it makes you feel great for being the hero. Nothing wrong with it. I wish every skill was like this, on every champion.

If you've got the time, Kaev, the Twisted Blighter is growing nicely, and could always use more and more love. Thanks!

Yahtz

07-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeathstalker View Post
The Q is cool, but one thing that needs to be done is to make it more self-consistent. If I press Q, I should get practically the same effect every time, and not have to go "ok, that was the Fire one, so do I catch it, or do I just double cast?" Make it consistent, cause it to have the same basic physical operation, just with increased and more interesting effects. So, the two big inconsistencies are doublecasting between Q and W->Q, and the range drop on E->Q. The second isn't so big, as you've got a big physical indicator of havng the shield there, and it probably feels normal to use.
Not sure really, some of it is probably up to feeling when you're playing, but there's got to be some way to make it so Q always feels like Q, no matter what special things you've got to it.
- The main reason I cut the range by half for E-> Q is because I felt an 800 knockback was a bit too strong, (Compared to other champions with knock backs who could push people from low 500’s-700s).

- Will look into trying to streamline Q so all the Q's work similar

Quote:
W is not so nice. You could really get away without making it make you just follow someone. You could have it tether you to them and add the protection buff which will snap when you go too far. Or, of course, you could come up with a different skill, as the Ult does the same job better and with more umph. A nice CC or other way to piss off your opponents and get them to hit you instead of your allies would be good, but there's so much room to have fun with him that I wouldn't force something like that.
- I was thinking of a tether aspect and will in fact post an alternate version with the tether aspect involved to see how that would compare.

- The biggest difference between W and R is that W affected all damage, allowing you to make squishies more durable.

- Although CC might be a good replacement one core design aspect I tried to have while I brainstormed Aegis was to avoid making a skill with hard CC, (I felt that W->Q with the snare was pushing it).

- Will continue to look at this as I get additional feedback.

Quote:
E is interesting. The active effect is unique, and the passive is very very nice for a tank, but I just can't help feeling that the active component is a bit lacking. It doesn't give him a whole lot that a self-shield wouldn't do better. There's got to be a way for this to go from very handy to absolutely awesome. You've done good so far, so I'm sure you can think of how. If not, ask and I'll help brainstorm.
- The biggest difference I see how the E – Bulwark Active differs from a targeted shield is that the active shield has two different roles: Grounded Shield and Held Shield.

- While the shield is on the ground it can act as impassable terrain, blocking some paths for enemies as well as blocking enemy skill shots for ALL allied champions standing behind it and that was the shields primary role in my opinion.

- Allowing Aegis to pick it up was to allow him to continue using the shield while the fight moves, either reducing damage while initiating or blocking / pushing enemies that are chasing his allies out of the way.

- Adding a "Shove" aspect, which damages the target based on the distance they are pushed. Perhaps that will add the extra "oomph" you were looking for.

Quote:
R is FANTASTIC. It makes the passive feel awesome and it makes you feel great for being the hero. Nothing wrong with it. I wish every skill was like this, on every champion.
Thank you =)

and Thank you for your feedback.

Hephaestus2

07-03-2012

He's a definite tank and I love the way the whole thing is set out. As for the choice between leash or stuck....Definite leash cuz if you get stuck to an idiot that decides to run into the entire enemy team than you die as well and you can't do anything about it. The ult is great if you have him on your team. And with the bulwark active in terms of jungle paths, could it cover the whole thing and does it grow at all? This is the newest one so go ahead and have a look.http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...4#post26487824

Yahtz

07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hephaestus2 View Post
He's a definite tank and I love the way the whole thing is set out.
Thank you =D

Quote:
As for the choice between leash or stuck....Definite leash cuz if you get stuck to an idiot that decides to run into the entire enemy team than you die as well and you can't do anything about it.
Thank you for choosing, (I did have one preventative measure for United Defense [VERSION ONE] that during the duration you could reactive the ability to end it early, allowing you to "abandon ship" if your teammate was going suicidal.

Hephaestus2

07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahtz View Post
Thank you =D

Thank you for choosing, (I did have one preventative measure for United Defense [VERSION ONE] that during the duration you could reactive the ability to end it early, allowing you to "abandon ship" if your teammate was going suicidal.
Soooo.....he's a sailor now O.o? And even with that I would still prefer the leash cuz than I wouldn't forget to deactivate it I swear I would too.

Yahtz

07-03-2012

Quote:
Soooo.....he's a sailor now O.o? And even with that I would still prefer the leash cuz than I wouldn't forget to deactivate it I swear I would too.
Using abandon ship as its figurative definition: "to leave a failing enterprise."

The enterprise in this case is trying to keep a teammate alive, but since he is putting himself (and you as well as a result of W - United Defense [VERSION 1]) into a bad place where he runs into the entire enemy team, you can reactivate the ability to end W - United Defense [VERSION 1] early.

I hope this clears up any confusion you had =)

Hephaestus2

07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahtz View Post
Using abandon ship as its figurative definition: "to leave a failing enterprise."

The enterprise in this case is trying to keep a teammate alive, but since he is putting himself (and you as well as a result of W - United Defense [VERSION 1]) into a bad place where he runs into the entire enemy team, you can reactivate the ability to end W - United Defense [VERSION 1] early.

I hope this clears up any confusion you had =)
I's was jokin lol.

Hephaestus2

07-03-2012

No problem and go ahead and look at mine whenever.

khanih

07-04-2012

He seems balanced enough but his ult with a thornmail.... Also I like the different shields me mechanic

Can you review mine? Not sure what to say anymore other than what's been said
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2317869

12345 ... 6