How To Abuse The Current System And Get Away With It

1234511 ... 14
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeathCrunch

06-29-2012

Warning: Please do not take this post literally or actually try any of this in-game. I am trying to make a point about the current state of the Tribunal.

Step 1: Find a vulnerable target, preferably someone with a low KDA or someone violating the metagame (i.e. a non-traditional support, Eve/Mordekaiser/Sion, etc).

Step 2: Pretend like you are horribly offended by this person's words and behavior (suppress the fact that you're a mature adult and don't really care what others are doing in an online game.)

Step 3: Always strike first. As soon as your target makes the tiniest Summoner's Code violation, start making up fake things in chat to make him look bad (i.e. /all Shen is AFK at base...). Be sure to start your accusations as early as possible. Don't worry - you cannot, under any circumstances, be punished for making up lies about somebody in chat.

Step 4: Make friends with the enemy team so you can expand your report pool by a factor of 2. Say things like, "Sorry about our Mordekaiser." Remember: If he gets mass reported, his counter-report against you is devalued.

Step 5: Artificially boost your KDA ratios. Never initiate fights. Always stay behind the guy you're trying to troll. Let him initiate fights then run away. Use your abilities to KS. Make sure your "target" has the lowest KDA possible. Make your actions subtle - popular opinion will swing against you if it's too obvious.

Step 6: Grief said player as much as you can in-game. Steal his blue buff then accuse him of trying to steal it from you, etc. etc. If you're playing Anivia, drop your wall so he's stuck near the opposing team (again, be subtle - no more than once or twice in a game, and always apologize if they complain)

Step 7: When the guy has had ENOUGH and starts raging, let him blow completely up and "hang himself". When people read his Tribunal case, they will see his "negative attitude" in purple text, resulting in a high probability of punish.

Step 8: Deny all surrender votes, especially if the game is irritatingly hopeless. When you've got your target where you want him, you've got to drag out the punishment. The longer the game goes on, the more your "target" is going to rage, feed, AFK, and do things to exacerbate his future Tribunal case. Not only can you drag the the verbal abuse out for an extra 20 minutes, you can turn a minor ragefest into an explosive career-ending permaban for the poor guy.

Step 9: Visit forums and harass people who claim they were unjustly banned. Accuse them of being "toxic" and reassure them that they can "reform".

Step 10: Profit.

Some Q&A

Q: Can this backfire on the person trying to use it? Won't they have a high report:game ratio?
A: Trolls play to troll, not to win games. First, by getting the target 9-reported, they are devaluing the target's counter-report. Second, sophisticated trolls will focus their efforts on the 1-out-5 players who are most bothered by being reported and most likely have low report credibility to begin with.

Q: Does this happen often enough to warrant Riot's attention?
A: Only a small minority of the playerbase actually gets suspended/banned. But what about the larger percentage of the playerbase who are constantly threatened by reports and live in a state of fear about being suspended? The Tribunal is like chemotherapy - it kills the cancer cells that are killing you, but it also kills WAY more healthy cells than cancerous ones. In fact, chemotherapy literally kills you to rid you of cancer. The Tribunal has solved one major problem (cancerous players) and created a larger problem that affects the population in a far worse manner (report abuse).

Q: Can't you just remain silent, report the report-abuser, and have faith that the Tribunal will punish him?
A: Sophisticated trolls will convince your team that you're one of those "toxic players" in need of report/suspension. Because you are outnumbered 9:1, they are free to verbally abuse you as much as they like without fear of triggering a Tribunal. "Majority rules", as the majority's perception is what creates the reality in the Tribunal case. This strategy is effective because it exploits the Tribunals tendency to punish those who are "deemed toxic by the greater community at-large." If 9 people are yelling at you, you are automatically considered "toxic" whether you have done anything to deserve it or not.

Q: Have you ever done this to a person in-game?
A: No, I have not. It's been done to me countless times. I was permabanned because of it. I find behavior like this morally repugnant.

Q: Why on God's Green Earth would anybody do this to another person?
A: When you turn your entire team against a person on your team, you get to verbally abuse him as much as you want to without much fear of reprisal. You can say things like, "omg report this feeder", "why weren't you at that teamfight?", "stop crying", etc. You can get a pretty big reaction out of the person and pin him into a "helpless" position. If he threatens to report you, it'll just infuriate the team even more. "Toxic" players have learned to game the system to their advantage - instead of running down mid 20x, they use their verbal skills to turn people against each other.

Q: Won't people just see through the act and turn on you? Won't the Tribunal punish you for abusing the report system?
A: It does require a good deal of sophistication and moderation to be successful. You can't just start harassing people blindly and win. Here's the trick: People are so hysterical about "removing toxic players" from the "community" that once you've got your team convinced you've "found one", you've prettymuch won the troll game at that point.

0ddzilla

06-29-2012

Not sure who's downvoting, this is perfectly valid as a list of ways to troll and get away with it. I've had people attempt to do some of these to me. Though in my case it didn't amount to anything, perhaps because I play very few ranked games.

Is it bad that I have used Anivia's wall to.. er, make life difficult for hateful, and offensive players on my team?

Philanthropist

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathCrunch View Post
[B][I]start making up fake things in chat to make him look bad (i.e. /all Shen is AFK at base...). Be sure to start your accusations as early as possible. Don't worry - you cannot, under any circumstances, be punished for making up lies about somebody in chat.
Ohhhh, yes you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Summoner's Code
Enjoy Yourself, but not at Anyone Else’s Expense
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Summoner's Code
Support Your Team

I hope I get these cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ddzilla View Post
Is it bad that I have used Anivia's wall to.. er, make life difficult for hateful, and offensive players on my team?
Yeah, dude, it is.

DeathCrunch

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philanthropist View Post
I hope I get these cases.
If the guy knows what he's doing, you'll never see him in a Tribunal.

DeathCrunch

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philanthropist View Post
Ohhhh, yes you can.
It's never happened in the history of the Tribunal, bud.

800eloPubtrash

06-29-2012

I think this abuse could backfire but if someone only did it when they're butthurt it probably works. I doubt the person they target often, or even usually gets banned for it, but it sure would make them upset.

SimplyAlive

06-29-2012

And yet again, now show us that this is an actual problem within the current state of the Tribunal.

This could 'work' in theory, but I doubt it happens often enough to warrant special attention.

800eloPubtrash

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyAlive View Post
And yet again, now show us that this is an actual problem within the current state of the Tribunal.

This could 'work' in theory, but I doubt it happens often enough to warrant special attention.
This is done to a lesser extent quite often. "omg noob feeder report" All the time.

Philanthropist

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathCrunch View Post
It's never happened in the history of the Tribunal, bud.
You... assume?

I posed in another thread about the walling Anivia being otherwise civil. Doing it for 3 games, and I punished her.

SimplyAlive

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 800eloPubtrash View Post
This is done to a lesser extent quite often. "omg noob feeder report" All the time.
But do these cases get punished or pardoned?
If they get pardoned, it actually shows the Tribunal is working. If they get punished, there might be a problem.

I have no reason to believe these cases get punished, due to personal experience while voting and the information provided to us by Riot.

1234511 ... 14