What to do about toxic players?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Learn 2 Riven

03-23-2014

When I finally won my promos for plat, I got that message saying: You have been promoted to Karthus' Dragons, Platinum Division V. Best of luck in the Fields of Justice! What the message should have said was: You have been promoted to Karthus' Dragons, Platinum Division V. You will now be matched up with at least one toxic player every single game that will chew and call you out on every mistake you make until you reach Diamond V. Best of luck in the Fields of Justice!

Seriously, about every single game I've played in plat I have gotten that one guy who seems fine in champion select but then when it comes to in-game he will bash you over and over again for every little mistake you make. If I didn't want to try and reach Diamond, I honestly would want to drop myself on purpose to Gold 2 or 3 and fail my promos every time so I never climb back up to that horrible place they call Platinum.

It's not me that is being affected by that one guy it's my team I'm worried about. I hit the ignore button. Hell I don't even hit the ignore button because his toxicness doesn't even faze me I just ignore them. It's my team that I'm worried about. That guy's mean comments doesn't make me play worse but it probably does to my teammates. They play really good until they make that one mistake and get chewed out for it and they make more and more mistakes.

So my question is, what do I do? Do I try to stand up and defend my team from the toxic player? Do I suggest to them to hit the ignore button? Do I even say anything the whole game to anyone? I've tried to defend them and say, "hey, leave him alone. He made a mistake. We all do." Then when my teammates start fighting back I try to tell my teammates, "just ignore him he's not worth your time. He's probably just having a bad day."

What do in this situation?

ZachTheApathetic

03-23-2014

Personally what I like to do personally is respond with absurdly kind, care-free statements. If one player starts bashing someone like crazy, just responde with something like "Player 1(the rager) I love you, carry me! <3". It's usually quite weird to get that kind of comment when they're flaming someone/everyone. And more often than not they calm down quite a bit. Simply using calming words helps soothe tensions.

Alas, I don't think there's any fool proof way to deal with people that are just plain angry. Statistically speaking, you get one of these kinds of people slightly less than the other team will, since there are 4 potential ragers on your team and 5 potential ragers on the other. You will simply have to play through scenarios like that, and only encourage people who are doing bad.

Learn 2 Riven

03-23-2014

Wierd strategy but... I like it! I'll try it next game. Thanks for the help and yes those statistics are correct.

DreadPirateChris

03-23-2014

Try not to mute people until they've said something worth reporting. Then mute them, then at the end of the game, report them. Unmute them if you think they are affecting other player's performance, for long enough to verify they are saying reportable things, and then you can remute them and later report them. (Reportable doesn't mean cussing. 'this team so bad', 'gg surrender at 20', 'omg u so dumb' are all reportable harassment. Well, -anything- negative is -reportable-, but only repeated negative comments or cussing are likely to get punished. Derogatory references to race/mental illness/sexual orientation may or may not get punished depending on the judges, although -personally- I consider those -more- punishable then a simple cuss word.)

Every day they get banned for is a day you won't queue with them.

It -is- true that the tribunal is not great, but it's -totally- ineffective if players mute instead of reporting.

(And you can try to calm them down and -still- report them. What you say in chat is unrelated to whether you file a report - really you -should- do both, and you definitely -shouldn't- use report as a threat. That only makes things worse and might get you reported.)

lening

03-23-2014

To be fair, most of those guys do so because they really, really want to win, and that clouds their judgment/sense of courtesy. I generally give them the benefit of the doubt - it's pretty uncommon to find a serious troll up in plat/diamond.

Just play it through and understand that these guys are on both teams - not just yours - so ultimately it doesn't really have a major impact on your overall w/l ratio unless you're letting them get to you personally. Just keep focusing on improving your own stuff, just as you should in any other tier, and you'll keep scooting on upward.

GundayMonday

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by lening View Post
it's pretty uncommon to find a serious troll up in plat/diamond.
LOL. We're playing different games then.

lening

03-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundayMonday View Post
LOL. We're playing different games then.
I dunno, I've been up through plat/diamond on more than a few accounts, and unless some ridiculously heated argument broke out, it was rare to see anyone clearly throwing on purpose.

Irri le Sanguine

03-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by lening View Post
I dunno, I've been up through plat/diamond on more than a few accounts, and unless some ridiculously heated argument broke out, it was rare to see anyone clearly throwing on purpose.
Well I can't say I've played any ranked thus far, but out of my 250 or so games in PvP, I'd say only 5% of the population is willing to throw at best, and of that only 5% or so does so without feeling justified by other trolls/ragers. The rage aspect is pretty common, but if an obviously more talented player steps in and says "shut up, play, we got this" or something to that effect I've noticed the game goes smoother instantly.

MorikTheMad

03-24-2014

I generally respond with something along the lines of:
"Thank you for your polite & constructive criticism."
Often, they will chill out a bit and actually offer constructive criticism.

E.g. (made up example):

I am jungling & gank their lane. They die, I get out, but without getting a kill.
Them: "WTF idiot!? Uninstall!"
Me: "Thanks for the kind words, friend."
Them: "Don't gank when I'm under half health, he bursts too hard."

Or they just don't say anything else & stop flaming.
(Sometimes it doesn't work, if they keep flaming I'll hit ignore.)