Feedback on WCG Event Coverage

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MattMarcou

eSports Manager

Follow RiotMarcou on Twitter

08-31-2010
1 of 3 Riot Posts

I want to address some of the points posted.

(1) The state of tournament coverage for League of Legends:
When it comes to covering a game, normally the coverage is generated through community sites and other e-sports sites (examples: Runeterra & SK-Gaming). Since the League of Legends competitive scene is still in it's early stages (consider that Season One launched on July 13th), there hasn't really been an entity that has stepped up it's coverage.

We noticed this early on in the tournament and we are rolling out several plans to better cover the US National Finals, WCG Grand Finals, and future events such as the Alienware Arena event. They include:

--Tournament sites
--Personalized event sites for major events
--Working with existing eSports media for coverage/streaming
--Promoting and highlighting community initiatives

Unfortunately, these things weren't ready for the start of the event, but I am pleased to say that they are developing well and I hope that the community will trust that we are working hard to make sure that these events are well covered as Season One progresses to the $100,000 finals.

(2) Timing of the event as it relates to coverage:
The event was admittedly very compact. Much more compact than the TTT event. This came about for 2 reasons:

(A) The timing of the WCG US and GF
Unlike the TTT this event had a very specific end date that needed to be met in order to work with the WCG. The matches were run at an ambitious pace. Because of this there was a delicate balance of giving teams a firm deadline to play their matches in order to advance the tournament and give players the flexibility to participate in other events such as the Alienware Extreme PvP event as well as be cognizant of the strains placed against them.

Some matches were played very late at night or needed to be adjusted for the sake of the player's schedules. In the future, I am definitely planning to have tournaments operate at a more relaxed pace and feature the top matches in some sort of a "Match of the Week" format.

(B) Larger Participation
We took the community's feedback into consideration for this event and opened the window for participation. This was done via the ladder qualification system as well as opening the tournament pool to upwards of 128 teams.

The focus on participation had a direct impact on the schedule and opportunities for coverage as well.

(3) WCG Information Hub:

There was an information hub created for North America & Europe that provide brackets and aggregated all official tournament posts for the WCG.

You can find them here:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...75#post2315075
http://eu.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ad.php?t=26757

One of the things that felt was a better service to the community was the inclusion of visual bracket instead of posting scores in random threads. Unfortunately, it appeared that the NA posts were not stickied and as well managed as their European counterparts. In the future, if there is not a results area, then we will continue to at least posts results in a highlighted forum thread.

I'll continue to add a few more thoughts to this post as I read on.

Rancid Sac

08-31-2010

It's really unfortunate that information regarding a tournament with a $100,000 grand prize was not covered in 'News' or even general discussion.

I understand that the third party streaming and replays are not yet in the game, but to keep all of the information in a sub-forum which common players do not frequent was a poor decision.

Najster

08-31-2010

here is my feedback, more fleshed out than my post in the general discussions thread:

1. Dedicated Tournament Portal. Make a dedicated WCG tournament page with a link on the FRONT PAGE. Your "information hubs" are okay but right now require one to scroll down and find the WCG forum, which is buried on the forums page, then click through several different threads to get all the information. This tournament page will include:
-- A bracket for all regions that is continuously updated. Right now, you have to search through a very bare bones WCG forum and open up 5 different threads to get all the bracket information compiled in one place.
-- Rosters for each team with player profiles accessible.
-- RULES AND REGULATIONS.

2. Battle Reports. Require the winning team to submit a one paragraph write up of how the match went and what they felt were the key moments and keys to success. Simply logging on and seeing that "Team X beat Team Y" is bland and boring. At the very least, just post something stating what players played on which team, who the picks and bans were, and what the scoreboard looked like at the end. Have a link from the brackets to each battle report.

3. Video Footage. I know you are expecting the community to "step up" and do this, which seems like too passive an approach. Work with people to stream and/or fraps their matches. For those that have been kind enough to post videos, make sure that your WCG front page portal also includes LINKS for where to access these videos.

4. Locked in rules and settings. Mandate that no new heroes can be introduced after the tournament is underway, otherwise the tournament risks being spoiled by a gamebreaking issue that has yet to be hotpatched. Example A: Xin Zhao upon release was broken, this was addressed in a future patch, but the in between time was damaging for real competitive play.

5. Team Profiles. Ask the top seeded teams to profile each player, explain how they got together and make predictions for where they think the tournament will go.
Below is a link to a really a top notch Competitive Play portal. Many good ideas to use in here, if LoL is serious about being on the competitive scene, much of what you see here needs to be implemented.
http://www.guildwars.com/competitive/

6. Leave Past Tournament Results up on a Dedicated Hall of Fame Page. Give the winning teams permanent bragging rights. Make a hall of fame of past tournament winners.

I think a great great example of a great "Competitive Gaming Portal" is here:
http://www.guildwars.com/competitive/
If Riot is serious about making LoL a competitive game, the features implemented on this example page need to be implemented (with Riot's own flair of course).

Sample battle reports:
http://www.guildwars.com/competitive...-tibovsluv.php
http://www.guildwars.com/competitive...evilvsreno.php

Sample team profiles:
http://www.guildwars.com/competitive...turnofevil.php
http://www.guildwars.com/competitive...ebelrising.php

Luchen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

08-31-2010

My feedback on the whole coverage fiasco is detailed in this thread:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=228413

TL;DR: The only acutal coverage you guyd did was two sitckies with no text or ocntent besides two poorly done attached files that made it all more confusing. Why not name them Winners/Losers BRackets? Why is not the information hub on this forum?

You made it impossible to find essential information about the coverage. For example these are the attached files you guys posted and still haven't updated:

Winners Bracket (named Double elimination for some reason) :http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...6&d=1282431888
Losers Bracke (named lower backet): http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...6&d=1282527886

If i were to interpret those images i would imagine that the grand finals would be between CLG and Haters and that for some reason HawkshotGG doesn't appear anywhere after their loss to CLG. But that's not the case, apparently somewhere sometime HawkshotGG beat Hater's and now they're gonna face CLG in the NA grand finals. And for some reason just today it was sticked in a thread called "championship brackets" which is still a misleading name.

Machinima

08-31-2010

Hey Marcou thanks for the post,

I'd like to reemphasize what rancid said: the tournament results should be easy to find and accessible from the home page. When I go to www.leagueoflegends.com, I want to be able to see right away who is playing next or who won the tournament.

When the NA tournament finished I spent a good 15 minutes looking for the results and could not find them anywhere, even in the tournament sub-forum.

edit: lol? so I guess it isn't finished?

In your post you said that you opened it more to the community by increasing the number of teams to 128. I think this is great but I'd like to point out that this is not exactly the right direction. As another poster said in the General forum post, the tournament should be enjoyable to spectators. Opening the field helps participants, but I think you will find that a good competitve game should have fans and spectators that love to follow great teams, not just compete themselves. I have been a long time fan of competitive starcraft in korea. I watch the streams, read about the players and follow their careers. I know all the top player's names, what they are good at, the relationships between players, etc.

Anyway just my 2 cents.

MattMarcou

eSports Manager

08-31-2010
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Sac View Post
It's really unfortunate that information regarding a tournament with a $100,000 grand prize was not covered in 'News' or even general discussion.

I understand that the third party streaming and replays are not yet in the game, but to keep all of the information in a sub-forum which common players do not frequent was a poor decision.
Rancid, that's completely untrue on 2 points

(1) There were numerous posts made in announcements, general discussion, and in this very thread. You are posting in the very sub forum that was created ...

(2) This isn't the $100k tournament.

With that said, I am not disregarding any constructive feedback regarding the coverage. Improvements will be made as we always do.

MattMarcou

eSports Manager

08-31-2010
3 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchen View Post
My feedback on the whole coverage fiasco is detailed in this thread:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=228413

TL;DR: The only acutal coverage you guyd did was two sitckies with no text or ocntent besides two poorly done attached files that made it all more confusing. Why not name them Winners/Losers BRackets? Why is not the information hub on this forum?

You made it impossible to find essential information about the coverage. For example these are the attached files you guys posted and still haven't updated:

Winners Bracket (named Double elimination for some reason) :http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...6&d=1282431888
Losers Bracke (named lower backet): http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...6&d=1282527886

If i were to interpret those images i would imagine that the grand finals would be between CLG and Haters and that for some reason HawkshotGG doesn't appear anywhere after their loss to CLG. But that's not the case, apparently somewhere sometime HawkshotGG beat Hater's and now they're gonna face CLG in the NA grand finals. And for some reason just today it was sticked in a thread called "championship brackets" which is still a misleading name.
Luchen,

There were several forum posts made, but unfortunately I think the lack of stickies made for a harder experience than most people wanted. You can see all of the coverage stickied and posted.

Razeluxe

08-31-2010

Honestly Marcou if youre reading this, not to be rude but this tournament was handled very poorly for anyone not in it (and in some peoples opinions the ones who were actually in it but thats for another day).
- Nobody understood how the teams were seeded.
- Nobody understood how the brackets were set up, the double elimination was very confusing. (You cant just post pictures of a bracket and randomly update and say that you informed us)
- Nobody understood when the match times were.
- Nobody was able to watch the games, except maybe a couple crappy Fraps' recordings.

Here are my suggestions:
- Less teams, there was no reason for 128 teams or even 64 probably, the final 4 teams were guess who: 1, 2, 3, and 4.
- Show us an all inclusive bracket that we can follow, not separate ones we have to piece together mentally
- I'd get rid of the double elimination, but if you want to keep it make that bracket all inclusive too
- As far as scheduling, put on the bracket when the matches must be played by so we can follow. Make stricter deadlines for matches. This is no longer "its a video game i have real life things to do get over it", this is a sponsored competition for thousands of dollars, if you arent committed you dont belong there.
- And finally find a way for us to watch the matches. Players within the game dont really want to record because of the loss of FPS.

Hopefully you guys learned from this and can do better next time, because a tournament is supposed to be a spectacle and to draw others into the game, which this did not.

MulletPower

08-31-2010

Yeah sure you made a couple of forum posts and a bracket graphic. That's fine when hosting a small fan run tournament, but for a big company trying to put their game into the WCG, having that kind of coverage is pretty bad.

There was no game coverage. I understand that there is no replays or observer mode, but even just getting the players to submit a short description of the game and screenshots of the picks/bans/scores would have been a good start.

Hell we didn't even get any round results coverage. All we could do is check the single post threads to see if you updated the bracket graphic. It would have at least been nice to post the results in the thread as each round finishes.

Basically what it all boils down to is that this tournament happened way to early in the game's lifetime. Entering into this years WCG with none of the essential features for covering a tournament was just silly. You really have no one to blame but yourselves for that one.

gunsharp

08-31-2010

There was coverage for this event?