Riot, let us zoom the camera out already!

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 15
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CanAPanda

08-31-2010

I've started a new thread and poll that is focused on changing the camera angle rather than allowing the camera to zoom out more because of my opinion change concerning how the imbalance between purple and blue teams should be fixed. Here's the link to the new thread.
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=301448

It's been asked for, for a long time now, people have complained games have been lost, and it even causes people to quit games because they die due to the fact that they couldn't see their attacker!

What is this infamous problem? Purple team has an extreme disadvantage to the other team due to the fact that the camera does not even come close to showing the full portion of what you're lighted area is. I've been skill shot and hit by other skills and attacks from enemies I couldn't even see!

I do understand that the camera can unlock yet probably half of the players in this game can't or don't do that for many reasons (myself I cant tell which champion is myself in big fights)

So here I am begging that riot allows the camera to zoom out enough to show the full light radius and at least 100 distance past it's edges.

Also here's a picture I took to show how this affects game play. Arrow #1 shows bushes just as close to myself as the bushes depicted by Arrow #2 yet for some reason my light radius covers both, yet I lack the ability to see bushes depicted by Arrow #2...
http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/a...Panda/img1.jpg

And a video I made to support the movement =D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYLp9AXNuis

Thanks for listening,
CanAPanda
(yes they can!)

EDIT 1: After deep consideration on the subject and taking in account many people's opinions positive and negative, I've decided to change my opinion on what should be done to fix this problem that obviously still stands.

I believe that instead of allowing everyone to zoom their camera out 2-4 clicks (please understand when I say zoom out I don't mean to see the entire map nor do I mean to say that the champion's light radius would be increased in any way), I think it would make things much easier if there was a keybinding that when pressed would completely flip your view around 180 degrees. This means that no matter what team you are on blue or purple you will be able to view the field from which ever side you prefer. I'm sure most people would pick the blue team view because it allows a much wider view of your enemy and you are actually able to see who is attacking you...

Sadly there still is the problem we face regarding the 3v3 map as blue team defending your top turret. The problem is that due to the angles involved when you are defending your turret, your map lines up directly with the lane preventing you from seeing anything past auto attack range, meaning your enemy can easily skill-shot you, gank you, or simply auto attack in and out of range.

Edit 2: Please let me clarify, many people are speculating that having the ability to zoom out more would empower people with larger monitors, or people who play on large TVs, when in fact it will not. To put it in 3 year old terms, you look at a picture, then you look at the same picture under a magnifying glass(large screen) you still see the same picture, just its bigger! Please stop posting comments that make little to no sense.

CanAPanda

08-31-2010

I neglected to mention this also applies to 3v3 as well, say you are the left team (west, I'm not sure on team colors) and you are in the top lane, if you are next to your turret in the middle of the field your map blocks your view of the lane to your bottom right.

Randomtasks

08-31-2010

Still haven't made it to 30 yet but I learned at summoner level 1 how to unlock the camera.

Lootsweeper

08-31-2010

I completely agree with Panda, I have this issue when defending top, left turret in TT. If i could just simply zoom about a bit, I would be able to keep my focus on my character yet be able to place my AoE abilities much easier and keep track of enemies pushing in.

Fruitstrike

Software Engineer

08-31-2010
1 of 1 Riot Posts

This is already possible from a tech perspective, but is likely never to be allowed for reasons of game balance. The camera distance was specifically selected to show you a portion of the battlefield, and it is part of the learning curve of skills you pick up to be able to watch the battlefield with both your view and the mini map. If we let you zoom out, it would change the skill requirements for various tiers of play dramatically.

Ponies Gonna Pwn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

08-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAPanda View Post
It's been asked for, for a long time now, people have complained games have been lost, and it even causes people to quit games because they die due to the fact that they couldn't see their attacker!

What is this infamous problem? Purple team has an extreme disadvantage to the other team due to the fact that the camera does not even come close to showing the full portion of what you're lighted area is. I've been skill shot and hit by other skills and attacks from enemies I couldn't even see!

I do understand that the camera can unlock yet probably half of the players in this game can't or don't do that for many reasons that are bull**** and make no sense (myself I cant tell which champion is myself in big fights)

So here I am begging that riot allows the camera to zoom out enough to show the full light radius and at least 100 distance past it's edges.

Thanks for listening,
CanAPanda
(yes they can!)
Fixed that up a bit for you.

I fail to see how zooming out more affects game balance, Fruitstrike. It's extremely easy to see everything in a fight as is, so keeping the OMFG SO CLOSE zoomed camera is complexity without difficulty.

Robbynn

08-31-2010

I only need to zoom out once more and then allow me to flip my on-screen blockers (I like seeing my powers bar) and mini-map to top when playing then I likely will not have a problem. It is one reason that I wish I was better with melee champs as then I would not need longer vision.

Have to say that my worse champ is Kog to play when on purple side as trying to move and position camera for shots has gotten me to click and move many times that I wished I hadn't. I know that is skill and practice but just a little lag there (which happens at unpredictable times) can cause that to happen. I still remember that happening one game where sitting at bottom tower and dropping ooze on bushes and suddenly I have a lag spike and when over I had run into the bushes and was almost dead when I caught up. I tried to run but was thrown off as my camera had moved all the way left and I forgot to hit space bar. This was from just a couple of seconds of a lag spike and I had double clicked (at least only thing I could think of) because I was having to position camera to see bottom edge of my attack range where I have no issues with the top. I would even be happy if camera placement was slightly below me so that I lost some of the top but had better view of the bottom.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

08-31-2010

For big team fights, if you're having issues following your champion, hold in the space bar and it will 'temporarily lock' your camera, while you're holding it in. Having your camera unlocked allows you to look at other teammates (since the health bars are unreliable at best) or enemies, and see who might be in trouble, open for a gank, etc. Also, skill shots won't show the champion if they're shooting from fog/brush, so unless you want to remove fog and brush altogether...

P S Y

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

08-31-2010

I support this movement.

EFG

08-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitstrike View Post
This is already possible from a tech perspective, but is likely never to be allowed for reasons of game balance. The camera distance was specifically selected to show you a portion of the battlefield, and it is part of the learning curve of skills you pick up to be able to watch the battlefield with both your view and the mini map. If we let you zoom out, it would change the skill requirements for various tiers of play dramatically.
Lolwut?. EVERYONE would be able to zoom out more so how would that affect balance?.

1234511 ... 15