Could Ryze's Scroll be Karthus's Song?

123456 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lewpaka

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormNehalem View Post
You also have to look at the fact that Karthus eschews all tenure he gets from The League of Legends. He clearly isn't working there for the benefits, nor is he there to just blow it up, or he would have sung already and everyone would have died. You can't kill him either, and I'd imagine that sealing him in a prison somewhere would just cause him to sing himself out of it.

So, why is he at the League of Legends?
There's a lot we don't know about Karthus, but I was thinking that perhaps he IS indeed a neutral force. As he is a lich, he does possess immortality as well as a lot of power. This means that he has been around for a while and will be around for quite a while to come, even thousands of years.

In many cultures' (real and fictional) beliefs, there is usually some kind of "end" or "renewal" of the world. I would posit that, assuming he is morally neutral, Karthus is the bringer of that end. When the appropriate time has come, he will do his duty and sing of the end. Not before with any malicious intent, but when the time is right.

Now, that being said (sorry if this is a little long winded), I think it's fair to say that the League of Legends is the center and focal point of the major conflicts of Valoran. There is no better place for Karthus to observe the state of the continent and events on Valoran than right in the League!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobat View Post
Ryze has it wrapped up in all kinds of a lock and packet, magically sealed and the like. The actual scroll itself isn't visible. Karthus couldn't possible recognize it, he could be suspicious maybe? But doubtful he would instantly recognize it.

This idea is mind blowing by the way.
Thanks man!

In response to the invisibility of the scroll and all of the protection Ryze has placed on it, I do agree that Karthus may not know for sure that the scroll is there. However, could it be possible that sometime prior to joining the League, Karthus found out that his (assuming it's his) scroll had been stolen, and maybe managed to track down Lilith (the thorn mage who gave Ryze his tattoos). Seeing as she didn't have it anymore, and that thorn magic is very rare and seems to be isolated to the Howling Marshes, that Karthus highly suspects that Ryze has it.

I don't know if Karthus has the magical prowess to see through Ryze's illusions or not, but that's possible as well. Whether he knows the scroll is there or not, I personally don't think that he is a malevolent being who would attack Ryze to try and get it. I suspect that IF he knows Ryze has it, he trusts him to protect it, and if he doesn't know, he is seeking to find out.

Lewpaka

06-29-2012

Also I do want to encourage people to post their opinions on this/poke holes in the theory if they find them!

Quiksilvur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-29-2012

One thing is that he likes playing up his evilness, coming from his quotes. He sounds almost cynical and sarcastic in certain lines. Pentakill is also a factor we have to take in. It IS canon, but I don't think he's got a sinister plan behind it. Frankly, call it silly, but I do think that Mordekaiser, Yorick, and Karthus genuinely enjoy being in Pentakill. Mordekaiser seems to have some sort of affinity with music, and Yorick and Karthus, being veteran undead, might not have heard music in so long that they've forgotten what it's like until reintroduced by Sona.

Not even sure if that said anything worthwhile, looking back on it...

PlatinumOtter

06-29-2012

It's almost as if Lewpaka is in a country where he can't play LoL, so instead, he is coming up with some of the most brilliant lore theories I have ever seen.

SentinelOfPain

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-30-2012

I'm sure it doesn't mean much, but when you view Karthus using requiem under the abilities section of selecting his character, he's using it on Ryze.

LordHippoman

06-30-2012

I don't think Karthus is really a villain or has malicious intent, because Lorewise his Requiem may very well be the strongest ability possessed by anyone in Valoran, and he is immortal, so if he wanted to he could easily take over all of Valoran. It's not like he's being secretive about it either, he's a public figure in the League. The most evidence we have for Karthus being evil is how defensive he is of the Howling Marshes, to the point of slaying those who try to enter it. But why? There's something in there that Karthus wants to protect. It's not himself, he's immortal. But could it be more of the same apocalyptic magic that Ryze recovered from inside? It makes sense, as if someone with malicious intent (Like Malzahar, who Karthus helped Kassadin battle near his home) claimed it, they would be absolutely unstoppable, and he cannot take chances. Imagine magic like what Ryze has in his scroll in the hands of someone like Nocturne, Malzahar, or Shaco!

Also notable is the title of the ability, "Requiem". Requiem for what? In one of the JoJ's, Karthus states:
“In life, there was one worth singing for forever. I have kept my promise, though to some now the song is not as lovely as it was once meant to be.”

Call this crazy, but maybe Karthus and Lillith were romantically involved. Why else would he visit the Howling Marshes while still alive? His song was written for her, which is why she had it when Ryze encountered her and stole it. He died withing the marshes, which leads me to believe one of a few things:

1. Karthus, upon discovering Lillith's true nature and desire to destroy the world, was forced to kill her, and then killed himself.

2. Lillith killed Karthus, but his spirit remained as a Lich so that he wouldn't have to leave her, but he now realizes how foolish that was.

Razie

07-01-2012

Maybe karthus's phylactery is under the marsh?

jdc09

07-01-2012

I don't think the scroll destroys everything with a giant blast...but it opens the void upon all of Valoran.

So it could be possible Karthus trusted Lillith to take the Scroll and keep it secret and defend it. while he went off and raised an army of undead by killing anyone who went into the swamp, which would be used to further protect the Scroll. But one day Kassadin came to Karthus warning him of the Void and Malzahar's coming. Karthus and Kassidin fight off Malzahar ,but Malzahar knows where the scroll is since he is the Prophet of the Void and is able to infect the mind of lillith, making her crazy and want to use the scroll. Ryze seeing this takes the scroll and flees locking it away with his magic. He ends up at the League of legends Where Malzahar has tracked him to. While Karthus and Kassadin have gone to the league to make sure Malzahar doesn't get it. But Malzahar has Cho' Gath there. Possibly Malzahar even Made Shaco twisted and may use him to assasinate ryze so the scroll can finally be used to to open the Void.

Maybe?
If I had to guess this is what it would be...This explains how a lot of people got into the league who say they came in for no reasons(don't judge/hate/bash me I don't know anything...beleive what you want to beleive.)

Jaykoboy

07-01-2012

I don't think anyone knows what's on the scroll, but it supposedly has great power, so that's why they're not messing with it.

I love how everyone assumes it's a scroll that will bring about an end of the world, but that makes no sense. Every spell needs to be tested; you can't just say 'oh, this combination of words makes this happen no matter what,' because then it wouldn't really be...magic, would it? So, the words on that scroll, while definitely very very powerful, will not end the world, because then the world would have ended. Maybe it would give the power TO end the world.

We already see an example of it when Ryze uses his ultimate, because his ultimate's name is 'Forbidden Power,' which hints that he's using the scroll to cast it, or at least part of it. So, in small doses, it causes one's spells to heal oneself and destroy everything around what they hit...in full quantities, it would probably cause the AoE of the spells to become massive, maybe even the size of a city, and anyone that would try to kill the mage would have a very hard time, because they would heal themselves completely by casting a simple fireball.

jdc09

07-01-2012

His Ultimate's name is Desperate Power...:O

123456 ... 7