Vladimir vs. Riven top lane matchup? Is it winnable for Vlad?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

If I was Mid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-28-2012

I have repeatedly seen and fought this matchup on both sides, and Riven seems to always come out on top.
One game, our Vladimir was 2/0 and up 20 cs against a Riven, and then still died to her in a 1v1, and I was forced to repeatedly gank top lane to keep her from zoning him, despite the earlier kills I helped him get on her.

I picked Vladimir and then the enemy picked Riven last game, and I ran a +26 armor at level 1 rune page. I started boots 3 pots and did alright for the first few levels. After level 6, she waited in a bush while I tried to farm, and used her ultimate, and proceeded to take me from full to 0 hp with her Ignite>Q+Q+Q+AAs+W+R Combo.

At a second fight that was much less one sided, my client disconnected, and then crashed on reconnect, despite my internet working and my skype being connected to my friend as well.
She killed me again, and proceeded to roam around the map and snowball, ending with a 10/0/10 score because of me.

I've seen even Dyrus lose the lane to Riven.
Is there anything that can be done to win this matchup?

Thane Soren

Recruiter

06-28-2012

She counters him pretty hard.

Maybe if his Q had pre-nerf range, but that's just a dream

Xahoida

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-28-2012

Use your range to farm, if you're jungler is coming to gank keep your Tides stacked up. Save the pool

If I was Mid

06-28-2012

Yep, I tried farming from my maximum range, but Riven can E+Q to close the 500 range gap and proceed to damage me while she shields my Q, and I wind up taking more damage if I stop to attack her.
Her E is on such a short cooldown early game that I can't even harass her with my Q transfusion while still farming.

I have to try the matchup again with a different rune page, and hopefully not disconnect due to a client error that is beyond my control in ranked...
I'll try a +40 armor page with 21/9/0 masteries next time.

EnderForHegemon

06-28-2012

rush dorans shield > chain vest, then finish revolver/ralys/hourglass as needed. This will give you a fighting chance.

Aishi

06-28-2012

It's really hard for Vlad against anyone with an execution-ultimate because of his HP % drop from pool. I would suggest popping pool ASAP when running or to dodge stun.

But otherwise, good luck. Stack armor, DO NOT TRADE and hope to sustain through it.

Ergheis

06-28-2012

Vlad vs Riven is a poke game. If you ever want to fully trade or just take her down (this applies to any other high damage potential person as Vlad, too), make sure you have a very large enemy minion pool to spellvamp W and E off of while you fight.

DNAye

06-28-2012

Vlad is on a Nasus, Akali, or Talon level for Riven. Its incredibly easy if you can mitigate his poke with her shield. Try and bait out the shield and then go in for harass. Also, its pretty much impossible to beat her 1v1 without a rather large advantage. It's very hard to beat a good Riven with vlad. Best luck is to get a jungler to help camp top and hopefully get a sizeable early advantage and use pool to avoid her ult. Pooling before her ult means you are basically dead.

Doxkid

06-28-2012

Start with Doran shield. When she moves up to CS, Q and auto attack her. Continue auto attacking her until you need to CS, then pause, CS, and continue auto-ing. If/When she moves to retaliate, start walking back, then q and auto attack her.

Never. Stop.

Take the both-2 damage masteries and you will safely ignore minions. Proceed with your build normally, and sell the Doran shield when you no longer have trouble with her.
----
Use this with every non ranged SoloTop. If you notice you are getting pushed, speed clear the lane and B.

ElfeNS0uL

06-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbalicious View Post
rush dorans shield > chain vest, then finish revolver/ralys/hourglass as needed. This will give you a fighting chance.
^
This.