I need help with Maokai

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

flashb00y

06-27-2012

Hi all, I've just bought Maokai. I've played with while he was on champion rotation and I felt in love with him *.*. Now I've restarted my PC so I've lost masteries and runes. Can you help me building him with masteries and runes?
I would play him in 3vs3 and also in 5vs5 (but not as jungler, becouse I suck at jungling ) As laner I used 0/21/9. What do you think? Is it good?
But I don't know about his rune.
Please help me

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-27-2012

Well that is a little tricky. Mao is a great bottom laner in Dominion, and a solid support jungler.

However, as you start getting closer to level 30 you will see that there really isn't much of a place for him otherwise.

Top solo is usually bruisers that have good sustain. Mao can toss saplings like crazy but the Jaxes of the world will jump on your head, autoattack,Q, then run off. If you save your sapling you can toss sapling point blank and root them so they take a good chunk of damage too.

But once they get a vamp scepter and wriggles, they have massive sustain (if they dont already have it). This makes it very hard to play Mao as a top laner.

Mao could go mid I guess but I havent really seen it. Hes more of a tanky support AP, rahter than a true high damage AP so hes a bit mismatched there.

Bottom is the AD carry and a support. Mao isnt really a good support in that sense in that he needs some farm to be effective.

I would encourage you to try him jungling, as he really is pretty good. You can load up the blue buff area with saplings so that at 1:55 they spawn and eat like 3 of em! Even with bad teammates with no leashing, Mao can get off to a very fast, easy jungling start.
Then just walk all the way down, thru wolves, wraiths, 2golem,redbuff, then go gank someone. Obviously lots more advanced ways to go but try it in a custom game.

His combo is pretty nasty...he runs in, Tosses sapling and immediately Root Rushes them so sapling doublehits. Then autoattack and ideally even get in front of them and use Arcane push doodad to push them away from their tower.

Kirielis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-27-2012

You're kidding? Maokai works very well in every single role except AD Carry.

Solo top: he can farm like crazy, get sustain from his passive, etc. He also has ranged harass if you can aim it, which he can farm with later. Good all around.
Mid: Count the ratios. Just count them. He has a bigger AP ratio on his burst damage than ANNIE. And it's all AoE. Granted as a melee he'll be building at least part tanky most of the time, but his AoE burst is nothing to sniff at and he can handle the APC job perfectly well even when doing so. (And on occasion you have enough other tankies to go glass cannon. Dat nuke.)
Support: I don't know where you get the idea that he needs farm to be effective. Every last one of his skills has some utility on it. Rather significant utility too: knockback/slow, snare/gapcloser, vision, % damage reduction AoE. Yes, you read that right. PERCENT DAMAGE REDUCTION IN AN AREA. With attached damage upon detonation, based on damage taken in said area. Damage and (even more) tankiness are just the icing on the cake that Maokai gets with farm. He's a highly effective support, especially in a kill lane, although he won't get to main-tank status without farm the way Alistar can for 7 seconds.

Maokai's most common jungle route is wraiths blue, because his 3 saplings can instakill the wraith camp, given AP quints. And yes, he is real terror as a jungler, as his snare + knockback can lock people in place for ages so the laners can beat on them...oh, did I mention his crazy burst yet? It does fall off if you're building full tank, but early levels his burst is just fine.

An anecdote. Going up against Leblanc in mid lane, I chose MR items: start null, rush abyssal. Then I realised I didn't really need them, because I could jump her and take half her HP in a burst combo, starting from level 3 and never falling off. In addition to pushing her to tower half the time and then making her dodge saplings...don't worry, I warded, and anyway snare and knockback were plenty enough to get away from the few attempted ganks. (Protip: you can snare someone and then walk away. Even level 1 snare will get you out of a sticky situation, putting approximately 1 flash's worth of distance between you and your pursuer.) Carried that game too, with Maokai's epic initiate, team utility, much tankiness (passive gives amazing +HP in a fight) and amazing AoE burst damage. Yes, this was tanky-AP Midkai.

flashb00y

06-28-2012

Thanks for infos guys
Could you tell me which kind of runes should I use on him and also what about masteries??

Warrrrax

06-28-2012

Well, instead of listening to the scrubs (myself included), see what the pros have to say about it:

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?champ=maokai

You can see 3 jungle guides and even 1 solo mid guide(though not featured), though the author admits that people accuse him of trolling when he lanes. So that shows that Mao isn't really thought of as a laning champ, though he is workable.

Kirielis

06-28-2012

True, he is not often thought of as one, but that's more a problem with people's perception than with his actual laning. See also: Poppy, Kayle, Lanewick, top Corki/Graves, support Blitzcrank, etc. All of which have gone from "you're trolling us, right?" to acceptable or even recommended, just within the past few months alone. And might I remind you that, before chu8, the Maokai pick itself was considered trolling.

Basically yeah, just because people don't know he mids, doesn't mean he isn't an exceptional mid.

AWESOME SUPREME

11-03-2012

Warrrrax

Quote:
Well that is a little tricky. Mao is a great bottom laner in Dominion, and a solid support jungler.

However, as you start getting closer to level 30 you will see that there really isn't much of a place for him otherwise.

Top solo is usually bruisers that have good sustain. Mao can toss saplings like crazy but the Jaxes of the world will jump on your head, autoattack,Q, then run off. If you save your sapling you can toss sapling point blank and root them so they take a good chunk of damage too.

But once they get a vamp scepter and wriggles, they have massive sustain (if they dont already have it). This makes it very hard to play Mao as a top laner.

Mao could go mid I guess but I havent really seen it. Hes more of a tanky support AP, rahter than a true high damage AP so hes a bit mismatched there.

Bottom is the AD carry and a support. Mao isnt really a good support in that sense in that he needs some farm to be effective.

I would encourage you to try him jungling, as he really is pretty good. You can load up the blue buff area with saplings so that at 1:55 they spawn and eat like 3 of em! Even with bad teammates with no leashing, Mao can get off to a very fast, easy jungling start.
Then just walk all the way down, thru wolves, wraiths, 2golem,redbuff, then go gank someone. Obviously lots more advanced ways to go but try it in a custom game.

His combo is pretty nasty...he runs in, Tosses sapling and immediately Root Rushes them so sapling doublehits. Then autoattack and ideally even get in front of them and use Arcane push doodad to push them away from their tower.
Kirielis
Quote:
You're kidding? Maokai works very well in every single role except AD Carry.

Solo top: he can farm like crazy, get sustain from his passive, etc. He also has ranged harass if you can aim it, which he can farm with later. Good all around.
Mid: Count the ratios. Just count them. He has a bigger AP ratio on his burst damage than ANNIE. And it's all AoE. Granted as a melee he'll be building at least part tanky most of the time, but his AoE burst is nothing to sniff at and he can handle the APC job perfectly well even when doing so. (And on occasion you have enough other tankies to go glass cannon. Dat nuke.)
Support: I don't know where you get the idea that he needs farm to be effective. Every last one of his skills has some utility on it. Rather significant utility too: knockback/slow, snare/gapcloser, vision, % damage reduction AoE. Yes, you read that right. PERCENT DAMAGE REDUCTION IN AN AREA. With attached damage upon detonation, based on damage taken in said area. Damage and (even more) tankiness are just the icing on the cake that Maokai gets with farm. He's a highly effective support, especially in a kill lane, although he won't get to main-tank status without farm the way Alistar can for 7 seconds.

Maokai's most common jungle route is wraiths blue, because his 3 saplings can instakill the wraith camp, given AP quints. And yes, he is real terror as a jungler, as his snare + knockback can lock people in place for ages so the laners can beat on them...oh, did I mention his crazy burst yet? It does fall off if you're building full tank, but early levels his burst is just fine.

An anecdote. Going up against Leblanc in mid lane, I chose MR items: start null, rush abyssal. Then I realised I didn't really need them, because I could jump her and take half her HP in a burst combo, starting from level 3 and never falling off. In addition to pushing her to tower half the time and then making her dodge saplings...don't worry, I warded, and anyway snare and knockback were plenty enough to get away from the few attempted ganks. (Protip: you can snare someone and then walk away. Even level 1 snare will get you out of a sticky situation, putting approximately 1 flash's worth of distance between you and your pursuer.) Carried that game too, with Maokai's epic initiate, team utility, much tankiness (passive gives amazing +HP in a fight) and amazing AoE burst damage. Yes, this was tanky-AP Midkai.
well, that's a big **** you to Warrrrax

MaximusEvil

11-03-2012

I've played mao in every lane, and yes he sucks in all of them, especially support.

As mid, I ran 9/12/9. and for runes I used Armor/Mr-lvl/MS, for supra tanky. his saplings are good, but max those last as they cost way to much mana. Max q like usual, and just Q farm away.

Kcr‚sh

11-07-2012

Come Learn to Jungle
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2767615

Lethadind

11-07-2012

Mao was originally a mid-laner before he was a jungler. He excels in all lanes, though his strongest is jungle and mid. Most top-laners are tanky and require sustain, which he has in his passive, especially if they are a skill-happy champ like Jax, he can just sit there and heal 7% of his health back over and over and over and over, making him deceptively tanky.

His burst is fantastic for mid-lane - his saplings (when both the drop and the explosion hit) have the highest base damage in the game and scale at a 1.0 AP ratio. His snare is perfect for your jungler, along with a knockback slow.

And he excels at support too, as he has his own tanky sustain so he can feel confident in initiating for the carry, he can port to them, snare them, and knock them a short distance to the carry as well.

In short, Maokai is an incredibly versatile champ, and depending on what role he needs to take (tank, APC, Tank) is what his rune/mastery setup should be. He can go 21/9/0, 21/0/9, 0/21/9, 0/9/21, and benefits greatly from all four combinations. Mid lane should be more offensive, jungle can be offensive or defensive, and support should be defensive or support-based. Another reason he's great in mid-lane is his roaming and ganking potential is so great. His snare + knockback slow combo is evil.