Draven late game

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

franshu

06-26-2012

So Draven is free this week and I've just tried a couple game with it.
Catching spinning axe is really a big part of this champion but after building up tons of damage. I'm not sure whether I should still stick with spinning axes because I've got high attack speed and I can't help but think that maybe with normal attacks I might actually deal more damage than getting the axes.
Of course I don't mean ignoring the skill altogether, I simply mean that I should just use it then not caring if I catch the axe or not. If I catch it it's good, if I don't I won't worry about it.

Thoughts?
I have no idea how to play this champ well so just..be gentle if you find this thread ridiculous.

AxeRaider

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by franshu View Post
Catching spinning axe is really a big part of this champion but after building up tons of damage. I'm not sure whether I should still stick with spinning axes because I've got high attack speed and I can't help but think that maybe with normal attacks I might actually deal more damage than getting the axes.
Of course I don't mean ignoring the skill altogether, I simply mean that I should just use it then not caring if I catch the axe or not. If I catch it it's good, if I don't I won't worry about it.

Thoughts?
I have no idea how to play this champ well so just..be gentle if you find this thread ridiculous.
well it depends how attached you are to the as and ms boost. but in general don't compromise positioning for the sake of an ax catch. The 85% bonus dmg and passive proc on the axes is useful if you aren't running crit or as.

franshu

06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeRaider View Post
well it depends how attached you are to the as and ms boost. but in general don't compromise positioning for the sake of an ax catch. The 85% bonus dmg and passive proc on the axes is useful if you aren't running crit or as.
yeah after typing this I realized I've left out the steroid on him which relies on catching the axes..
But is it that if i build enough attack speed I can pretty much leave out the boost?
And I know positioning is important for an ad carry so...yeah in team fights I rarely get off position for the axe.

OJ191

06-26-2012

Q is his main steroid treat it like you would tristana's Q - don't blow it just because you can get off an attack (unless it will result in a kill), wait until you will likely be able to catch it again or you lose a lot of damage.

Use W instead when skirmishing then as soon as you are able to Q you will get W back.

His Q is VERY strong because it procs full lifesteal, so you heal nearly twice as much (because you are dealing nearly twice as much) as if you weren't using Q.

Ult can be very strong if used correctly.

E (stand aside) breaks quite a few gap closers, I know for sure it can break zenith blade, leap strike, resonating strike, sometimes blade waltz if aimed perfectly, rocket jump... It just sort of cancels them when it hits and knocks them aside, you don't take damage from them either because they didn't reach you. Unsure if it does anything to bandage toss.

lightning87

06-26-2012

In late game catching the axes is more of a plus accidental thing, you can use it like an on next hit ability that, unless your chasing or kiting, is not needed to be caught, if you happen to catch it great! Otherwise its ok, you should still be on par with most other ad carries damage wise if you miss the catches. If you get good enough at micromanaging the axes go for it, but not neccesarry really.

b4shR

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-26-2012

try not building pd, go for big ad with ie, bt, lw and keep catching your axes, it works on him.
85% more dmg is big if you can keep it up you crit for 3 billions dmg.

OJ191

06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning87 View Post
In late game catching the axes is more of a plus accidental thing, you can use it like an on next hit ability that, unless your chasing or kiting, is not needed to be caught, if you happen to catch it great! Otherwise its ok, you should still be on par with most other ad carries damage wise if you miss the catches. If you get good enough at micromanaging the axes go for it, but not neccesarry really.
Even after IE and assuming you crit every attack, Q is still a full 25% of his damage output (so if you aren't using Q you are only dealing 75% of your potential max damage). Obviously with more attack speed if you can't get 2 axes going at once this will be a lesser portion because of attacking between axe catches, but it is still a lot of potential damage.

The damage boost is HUGE and if you really want to win teamfights you need to position to be able to use it.

It is in fact possible to ignore PD for BT after IE (or vice versa) and sometimes even last whisper because of Q + W, but it is generally advisable to get at least a zeal after your first big AD item.

My generic build is double doran, zerkers, vamp sceptre in varying order; into IE then zeal then change it up depending on the game - if I need more sustain I might get BT, if they are stacking tons of armour I will probably get LW then finish PD before getting BT; if I need survivability I will usually finish PD then get GA, or get LW then GA (depending on armour stack or not).

Buttocks Daddy

06-26-2012

Focus on learning to catch axes in battle rather than just playing him like any other carry, if you learn how to make them land in good spots you'll do so much more damage.

mtKhaos

06-26-2012

Just need to learn how to control where the axes fall, even in end game fights its possible to keep two axes going without sacrificing yourself or DPS. Just remember they fall in the direction where you move after the first attack along with how fast you are moving it will be closer or further. In team fights try to position so you don't have to move, proc your w, hell sometimes when an axe falls to the side it grabbing it can can improve your positioning.

Another benefit to his stand aside is that when a champion revives from guardian angel you can time it right so that they are stunned for about .5 seconds before they can flash, move, even kill you, but alow you to get off that one critical strike to finish them.

My preference with global ults is to fire them off when the fight is engaged, aim for the squishes and return while you reposition.

Passive is relatively useless except for those when it manages to kill them, granting them rage and you a wide smile.

Draven is a lot of fun to play, but one of the champs you have to stay practiced with. Oh and play aggressive, he hits like a truck and can chace down nearly any champion when his axes are spinning.

Wu1fy54

06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by franshu View Post

Thoughts?
Graves is considered Free Elo right? Since his gameplay is very consistent and strong. Draven is the one carry that I can use to beat him, especially early game.

Draven has a relatively long range, especially with his Q. So what I do, while the first waves come up is to catch and throw an axe or two at the carry, typically (esecially if you start blade) they are a good 1/3 down already.

When you stand still, he catches the blade automatically 90% of the time, and when you chase, they put the blade to where you are going to be if you moved in that same constant direction based upon your MS.

Use the stand aside while the blade is in the air to stop gap closers or interupt their moves. W to escape or chase hard and hit faster.

Dont really spam two blades if you can, its hard, but it helps to get baron faster, I don't know if both blades he catches automatically while chasing.

But he has crazy high scaling. With just an IE and PD he gets 255 ad where most carries float around 200-230.