What is the difference?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tunks

06-26-2012

Hello LoL Community,

I am pretty straightforward, so, could someone describe me what roles there are? (Like AP-MID, Supportive Jungler, Jungler etc.)? I am trying to get deeper into lol, and wish to understand the game more. Also, which role is Tristana? Or which role can tristana play?
Thank you.

Sevgz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-26-2012

Welcome to the League's forum, Tunks! I hope you are enjoying the game so far.

There are 5 big categories nowadays:

Top laners
Junglers
AP carries
AD carries
Supports

Those are the main roles. However, there are some 'subgenres' if you like to call them that way. For example:

Support junglers (CC directed junglers, instead of damage oriented junglers)
Counterjungling junglers (fast clearers that can go through the jungle quickly enough)
Utility carries (AP or AD carries that bring some utility) like Ashe, AP Lulu and so on.

There are many more you could think of but they're all inside those big 5 roles actually.

Tristana can be played both, AP mid and AD bottom (she is more effective as an attack damage carry)

Athorith

06-26-2012

Top Laners go... top
Junglers go a junglin'
AP carries (mages) typically go mid
AD carries go bot
Supports go bot

R00ler

06-26-2012

Google it. Look at the guides on www.solomid.net. In the time it took you to ask the question you could've found the answer.

DemonicUtensil

06-26-2012

I think the above poster is confusing locations with role. Malphite and Wukong can both play in the top lane, but one's generally a tank whereas the other is generally a bruiser. Yi is a melee carry, but he can jungle just like a tanky Alistair. Galio and LeBlanc are both usually in the mid lane, but one's a tank and the other's an AP carry.

The actual roles are basically:
-Carry (AD/AP). They are generally squishy and do a ton of damage. Because damage is extremely item dependent, they generally farm a lot and try to get a bunch of kills so they can carry the team. AD carries tend to do more damage per second, whereas AP carries tend to do more burst (upfront damage). Tristana is an AD carry. Annie would be an AP carry.
-Bruiser. Much like a carry, except not made of paper...tend to do less damage, though. Wukong and Darius are examples
-Tank. Extremely tanky, exists to run at the enemy team and disrupt them so that the rest of your team can safely get in and kill stuff. They're initiators...Galio and Malphite are examples
-Support. They exist to support the team in more or less every way that doesn't include dealing a ton of damage. Since they often don't get very much farm (especially in the early game, where they usually go in the bottom lane and let the AD carry get all the minion kills) they generally buy gold per ten seconds items to fund their later items.

NecessaryWeevil

06-26-2012

Keep in mind that (in my experience) few players care about the top/bottom etc thing in bot games and normal blind pick ranked games.

TwistWrist

06-26-2012

Malphite really isn't a tank. Everything that makes him unique can be done just as well or better as a tanky DPS. His peeling is just too useless to be called a tank.

Krazlam

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-26-2012

I would argue that Riot has more or less removed the "Tank" role, and instead lumped them with bruisers, AKA Tanky dps.

You're typical tank champions like Rammus, Galio, Leona, Shen, Malphite, Amumu, Singed, Alistar, Nautilus, etc. are optimally played as a tanky dps. While able to soak damage, they're also able to dish out enough damage to be threatening. Case in point, the Shen rework changed him from a relatively speaking full tank into a bruiser.

I would further argue that "Carry" shouldn't really be separated into AD/AP, but instead burst versus dps. Most casters are burst casters, but in the case of champions like Swain, Fiddlesticks, Ryze, Vladimir, Cassiopeia, etc, they're mainly magic damage but they are able to sustain damage over time, or apply DoT's. At the same time, while most AD champions are DPS characters, champions like Talon and Darius have a very high amount of burst and relatively low dps, compared to other AD champions.

Separating it into "Solo Top" "Mid" "Jungle" and "bottom" is very very stereotypical and conforms to the current meta. This wasn't always true, and isn't by design. For instance, the top laner is typically a bruiser, but many have played AP champions or even ranged AD top lane. I've seen many good AD champions mid, for instance Pantheon and Talon are hard counters to many casters. You also can't discount the double support bottom, until they made Soraka unable to supply herself with infinite mana, a Soraka + Taric bottom lane was one of the most annoying lanes to face.

In the end, the different roles are generalizations. There is nothing that says any specific champion has to be built a certain way. I've even played Tank Support Tristana to a relatively good amount of success. I would still argue that she is best played as an AD auto attacker, given that she has among the longest auto attack ranges late game, and comes with an attack speed steroid and an escape/initiation mechanism.

TwistWrist

06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazlam View Post
I would argue that Riot has more or less removed the "Tank" role, and instead lumped them with bruisers, AKA Tanky dps.
This is probably true. Really, it comes to team composition. Does your team have enough peels and does your team have an initiation.

My issue with Malphite is that he really does not fit the definition of tank. Such worthless peels.