Just a few quick questions!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

install

06-26-2012

Should I be a little worried that I'm level 19 and I don't see much improvement with myself? My matches lately have been pretty down in the dumps, although I do get paired up with some pretty interesting team members that are a bit harder to deal with at times. But poor teammates and bad team compositions can't be the major reason why I keep on getting into matches that end up in defeats, right? It's a tad disheartening.

Also, is getting a Rylai's actually a good option for AP Teemo? I often go with Frozen Mallet but I don't know if that's better than Rylai's since I usually already have Nashor's and Malady before it.

And how should I go about learning how to jungle? I know how it works on a few champs in theory, and I watch a lot of streams from TheOddOne, so I've picked up a few tips and tricks there, but at level 19, is this a safe time to learn how to jungle?

Athorith

06-26-2012

Hello install! Don't worry about progress you'll get there when you get there the elo system should (try) and keep you with people around your level. I can't comment on AP Teemo because I never play

him AP. And I didn't jungle until I began getting tier 3 runes. Without tier 3 runes (purchasable with ip at level 20) jungling with most champions is quite difficult however. Some of the easier junglers are

quite easy to pick up and have plenty of guides out there for them ex. Warwick and Udyr

DemonicUtensil

06-26-2012

Quote:
Should I be a little worried that I'm level 19 and I don't see much improvement with myself? My matches lately have been pretty down in the dumps, although I do get paired up with some pretty interesting team members that are a bit harder to deal with at times. But poor teammates and bad team compositions can't be the major reason why I keep on getting into matches that end up in defeats, right? It's a tad disheartening.
Because of how the ranking system works you will always lose about half your matches. In the short term you can lose games because of bad teammates, but in the long term your rank (and thus which matches you're placed in) is determined by individual skill.

Quote:
Also, is getting a Rylai's actually a good option for AP Teemo? I often go with Frozen Mallet but I don't know if that's better than Rylai's since I usually already have Nashor's and Malady before it.
That depends on how AP teemo works. I do not believe that Rylai's procs off of poison dart, and if so, then no, a mallet would be better.
Quote:
And how should I go about learning how to jungle? I know how it works on a few champs in theory, and I watch a lot of streams from TheOddOne, so I've picked up a few tips and tricks there, but at level 19, is this a safe time to learn how to jungle?
As said above, many champs have a hard time jungling without runes. Warwick, Udyr, Fiddle, and certainly more that I'm forgetting can jungle without runes without issue (though Fiddle is a slow jungler with no AP)

install

06-26-2012

Thanks for the helpful replies, guys!

I'm at about 60/51 as far as my win/loss ratio goes—it's give or take, a little over a half, I guess. And I had a pretty big losing streak today, so I guess the game tries to even everyone out or something...? The people that I play with are supposedly "near my level" but it's unbelievable how many mistakes occur and how many people refuse to accept help... So it's frustrating being constantly teamed up with these people when it seems like the opposing team just communicates a lot better. Poor luck, maybe?

I mainly go about building Teemo as AP/AS, if that makes sense... So if I don't use my Q as much, there's really no point in a Rylai's, huh?

I hear Udyr's a pretty difficult champ to grasp at first, but I'll try to see if I can jungle with him or Warwick when they're free some time. I'm really interested in Nautilus, Olaf, Alistar, and Maokai jungle, do you think that some of these champs can also fare well in the jungle despite the lack of runes?

DemonicUtensil

06-26-2012

Quote:
I'm at about 60/51 as far as my win/loss ratio goes—it's give or take, a little over a half, I guess. And I had a pretty big losing streak today, so I guess the game tries to even everyone out or something...? The people that I play with are supposedly "near my level" but it's unbelievable how many mistakes occur and how many people refuse to accept help... So it's frustrating being constantly teamed up with these people when it seems like the opposing team just communicates a lot better. Poor luck, maybe?
Some people just aren't useful or communicative. It happens.

You have a hidden ELO which is used to match you...So yes, in the long term you will always have about an even win/loss.

Quote:
I mainly go about building Teemo as AP/AS, if that makes sense... So if I don't use my Q as much, there's really no point in a Rylai's, huh?
I don't know if Rylai's procs on your poison dart, I only -think- it doesn't.

I don't really know how those champs would jungle without runes. Maybe Olaf and Alistair could?

Athorith

06-26-2012

Udyr, imo, is very easy to grasp... he was the first champion I jungled with and I found http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=10962
extremely helpful

Ask Nidalee

06-26-2012

For Teemo, I go onhit effects and grab a frozen mallet because it's cheaper. But yes, one time a game dragged on too long and I replaced my frozen with a rylai's, and it worked with poison and Q. It's just too expensive to be worth it unless you're really fed.

xmashimarox

06-26-2012

I dont think ppl show a lot of improvement until ~300+ games

just keep at it

GON the Mage Guy

06-26-2012

I personally play Teemo as AP/On Hit. I build things like Hextech Gunblade, Wit's End, and Madred's Bloodrazors. AP Teemo can be mean with mushrooms and Blind Dart. Frozen Mallet is a better choice for slowing, though.

install

06-26-2012

I'll give Alistar a shot next time I am up for some jungling! And after reading that guide, it seems like Udyr will really be interesting to look into as well. I hope I get to try him out soon, although as I recall, he was free a couple of weeks ago...

Well, I guess I just broke through my first ~100 or so...? Granted a lot of those were co-op ai games because I was scared I'd drag my teammates down in normal matches... Either way it sounds like I still have a long while to go.

And I was considering gunblade/wit's end too! Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. While I don't think I'm getting better, at least I feel like I'm learning something!

Which brings me to another question: after a defeat, is there a way I can determine if there's something I should change about my strategy or gameplay in general? Like... I'd like to know what I did wrong, what I did right, etc. but asking this in the post-game chat usually results in "LOL NUB" or "GG NOOB" so... I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible.