How I play early game Ryze

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brother Of Dux

06-26-2012

I take sapphire and 4 hp pots, and I play real aggressive in lane.
then when I have my 600g I sneak b, take the tear and then tele back.

The 4 pots let me stay in until I farm enough for tear-my goal however is to use it all before I b, so sometimes if I have a passive opponent I might play more recklessly to force them to trade, or I might stay in for a bit longer so I can come back with boots or wards.

Pretty decent? Please leave advice, criticism as well as alternative strategies =)

solcroft

06-26-2012

Because it's possible to buy sapphire + 4pot at the start. Okay.

Strill

06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Of Dux View Post
I take sapphire and 4 hp pots, and I play real aggressive in lane.
then when I have my 600g I sneak b, take the tear and then tele back.

The 4 pots let me stay in until I farm enough for tear-my goal however is to use it all before I b, so sometimes if I have a passive opponent I might play more recklessly to force them to trade, or I might stay in for a bit longer so I can come back with boots or wards.

Pretty decent? Please leave advice, criticism as well as alternative strategies =)
I think you mean 3 pots.

Personally though, I tried going crystal first in mid and got absolutely slaughtered by a ziggs. I couldn't dodge his skillshots or catch up to him to harass, so I got totally wrecked over and over again. Also, level 1 overload seems extremely weak for its mana cost IMO, so I try not to do much more than auto-attack the enemy champ at the start, and only really try to harass starting at level 3. Regardless, I know for sure that whenever I'm going mid I'm going to be getting boots every time as Ryze from now on. If you go with Defense/Utility masteries, and a set of movespeed quints, you can effectively have a boots of swiftness at level 1!

As a side note I find this makes Fizz extremely easy to counter, since your snare can't whiff from his playful trickster. Essentially, all he can do is dash to you, and after that he can't catch up because he's so much slower and you've snared him.

Brother Of Dux

06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strill View Post
I think you mean 3 pots.

Personally though, I tried going crystal first in mid and got absolutely slaughtered by a ziggs. I couldn't dodge his skillshots or catch up to him to harass, so I got totally wrecked over and over again. Also, level 1 overload seems extremely weak for its mana cost IMO, so I try not to do much more than auto-attack the enemy champ at the start. Regardless, I know for sure that whenever I'm going mid I'm going to be getting boots every time as Ryze from now on. If you go with Defense/Utility masteries, and a set of movespeed quints, you can effectively have a boots of swiftness at level 1!
Boots first all the time? meh I would only consider boots if I was playing against a good Ahri or like you said, Ziggs.
Btw one of the reasons I start with sapphire is not only does it giv your Q more damage but it also speeds up your tear, so I can afford to get wittled down to 50% hp and 10%mana as I'm planning to b early anyways, and if the enemy doesnt back in time or if he doesnt have tele then thats gona give me the lane advantage that will eventually lead to a kill

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-26-2012

Usually a Ryze will take boots+3 pots (4 if you took 21 utility for some reason). Ryze has CRAPPY range and winds up playing 1-sided dodgeball vs the large majority of enemy mids.

Hence boots will do a lot better than more mana, because it is HARD to land your nukes vs the enemy when they outrange you by 200....

You just have to farm, get MS quints, boots, and take opportunities to Q,W,E,Q the enemy when you get a chance. Try not to use Q to farm.