Just wondering.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mr Knifey

06-25-2012

sorry if this has been asked before.

Who goes top, mid, bot?
and why is that?

Regards.

Anonymys

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-25-2012

You mean which champions? Or how do players decide? I'm not sure what you're asking.

Eythen

06-25-2012

there is no serious answer to that. every champion can go to any lane they so please but the current meta in ranked games determines where some champions go generally
in ranked:
top is solo with a champ you can sustain with ( live 20 minutes aleast with farming)
mid is generally ap (magic champs) or range ad's
bot is the ad/ap carry with a support
then there is a jungle

Normal
2 top - any champion is fine
mid- genearlly a ap or range but champs like talon and fizz are good too
2bot - any champion is fine
if there is a jungler, then its solo top

and the eaiset of alllllll
bots games (5 people vs computers)

lanes = anything goes. no one cares or should care at all.

Edits: this is just what i've seen, a more pro player might have a different way of wording it.

MoreMedz

06-25-2012

It’s a good question. Basically, it takes an understanding of the map layout.

Mid lane has a shorter distance from base. It allows for faster levelling. When you are in the middle lane, you are vulnerable to gank from two sides, but at the same time, you are able to respond quicker if you need to assist the other lanes or your jungler.

In the current meta, mid lane is generally reserved for an AP champion because they need to level their skills faster.

Top lane and bottom lane are similar. The difference being: one, due to the camera angle, observing incoming gank is easier when you are in the top lane; two, bottom lane is close to the dragon, so you will need to be prepared to assist your jungler to steal it every now and then.

In the current meta, one player will be by himself in the top lane, which means that having hp and damage will help you to control the lane better. Bottom lane is reserved for two players: an AD carry who needs to farm, and a support who helps the carry to farm by supporting the carry or zoning/harassing the enemy champ.

The remaining player will jungle and gank when necessary to disrupt the enemy’s gameplay.

This is the starting point. From here, a lot of things can change. For example, in some games, an AD carry is placed in the middle. Also, keep in mind that some champions can counter other champions, so you might be forced to switch lane.

Solomid.net has more guides on this, may I suggest that you do some research there too?

Mr Knifey

06-26-2012

Thanks for explaining this as sometimes i wonder why people are like "you MUST go here etc"

like if I'm new to a character that supposed to go mid but I feel as though I will do badly there shouldn't I go with a friend bot or top?

Thanks though for giving me the info as I was thinking "why?" to that question.

Cheers

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

06-26-2012

For low level/Elo games... to be fair it really doesn't matter who goes where. The lack of fundamental skills (last hitting, map awareness, etc) alongside the typical lack of jungler make things a lot more flexible. That isn't to say you can't try for 'the meta,' but you don't want to force it; you're better playing a champion you're skilled at in a lane someone might not think ideal than playing a champion you've never played before (or are horrible at).