Would you like an unofficial Dominion ELO?

Yes 61 70.11%
No 26 29.89%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Would You Like An Unofficial ELO?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DiscworldDeath

06-26-2012

You care enough to make this post, and that's another way of saying "No".

larkhill

06-26-2012

honestly, id rather see a boycott or all the high elo players simply die. im tired of dominate dominion picking up riot's mess. every time you guys do something, riot stops it. theres no reason to think riot wont stop this too.

now this might be great for a while but look at it from another perspective. when this new system dies too, the backlash would be huge. a gradual decrease in players wont be too bad if we do nothing. if we do something and it fails/gets broken. the risk is too high.

DiscworldDeath

06-26-2012

O.o

Larkhill, two things:
1. lolmatches wasn't done by DominateDominion.
2. What Feedski is suggesting is completely, well, independent. It's not one's official Elo, so even if he goes through with it, not only will Riot not take it down because it won't make any claim to (or be) correct, but how can they stop an excel spread-sheet? It'd be like what lolcave did.

irott

06-26-2012

I thought it was already decided that a ranking system based solely off Win/Loss would lead to discrepancies. You need another variable or else the data would not be accurate at all. (ie. the 5 man premade stuff you were talking about before).

The difficulty is finding a constant to be used in the equations to determine the difference between how you did in one game versus the one prior. Most systems use a Ranking Deviation equation first and then plug that into the actual equation to determine ranking (which win/loss is a variable in).

The idea of a psuedo ranking is great for us players but I don't think you could implement it at all.

FOODFOOD

06-26-2012

I upvoted before I saw that it would be based on Win/Loss. I want to retract now.

DG TheFeedski

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscworldDeath View Post
There is. After JabeBot died, I looked at my w/l change from when JabeBot died, and others', and could usually figure out Elos pretty accurately, which could be seen when lolnotes came out.
Well, there really isn't. Even if you found one that may have been close to your's, that one formula wouldn't be as accurate for everyone else. The main problem is not being able to determine whether someone soloed or played with a whole group of 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscworldDeath View Post
You care enough to make this post, and that's another way of saying "No".
Eh?

DiscworldDeath

06-26-2012

Well, you can't guarantee whether people duo or solo queued, but using the Elo someone actually had as a basis is going to be a lot more useful than not using it as a basis. Also, no matter which guesstimate system you use you have to account for multi-queue. Maybe people will multi-queue less

The second quote is a response to Rebel Dragon, saying the poll needs a third option titled "Don't care".

Psi21

06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFeedski View Post
My idea is to create an algorithm that would give an unofficial ELO based off win/losses. Now keep in mind, this can't get completely accurate because we only have access to two numbers. It would not look at if you are solo queueing or duoing queuing, etc. unfortunately. So there are potentially a lot of flaws, but I am trying to bring something to the table that will hold us over until ranked Dominion comes.
http://lolcave.com/ec/

larkhill

06-26-2012

we already have pseudo-ranking in lolcave and its useless.

the reason i say it'll be shut down is that the dominion community has a way of going overboard with elo every time we get access to it. with no dodge penalty, as soon as u have a quantifiable number to attach to someone and say "he's unskilled because his elo is X and mine is X+100", we'll be back to square 1 with dodgers and the whole 9 yards.

maybe when we finally get a dodge penalty this will be possible but until then, any sort of elo system in a mode without a normal and a ranked mode to separate casuals from hardcore players is toxic to the community.

Helixes

06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by onisnake View Post
I think elo is not needed. At this time it would be better if people play to play, rather then to get a number. until ranked is out I would like to see more draft, more actual team play, or even new meta or champions. The number gets in the way
It's like you can read my mind...

Wait I got an idea, tell me what I am think as I write this post, TELL ME GREAT SAGE.

On a serious note, I agree very much with the quoted person. It's nice to know for your own sake, but in the end if you can't enjoy it for what it is do you really enjoy it at all?