How To Build Items

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AnonymousBanana

Recruiter

06-25-2012

I'm still pretty new to the game but I think i'm doing fairly well (or at least that's what i'd like to think). The only problem i'm having at this point is when I am building items at the shop, I just don't know what items to get based on team composition, like how to buy based on my team and how to counter the other team. Any advice on how to optimize my shopping strategy.

Z The Slayer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-25-2012

Sure. I'd love to help.

Unfortunately, you will just have to learn what items do what, and how champions are built. But I'll give you a rundown of pretty much everything you will need to know.

Enemies are broken down into 3 different types of damage: AP, AD, and Tanks. I say tanks are a source, because it will be easier to classify them. Just ignore anyone that is a tank. Then count up the remaining champs. If they are balanced (2 AP or 2 AD) then focus on either your own damage type or getting both kinds of resistances. Guardian Angel is a decent item in this scenario.

If you are Ability Power
If the enemy is heavily magic damage (2 AP + 1 AD, or something similar) and you are also magic damage, you will want items like Abyssal Scepter or Lich Bane, items that give you magic resist while still improving your own damage output. Banshee's Veil is also an extremely good choice.

However, if the enemy has high Attack Power champs, you will want to think about Frozen Heart
or Zonya's Hourglass, which will improve your spellcasting, but still give you high armor. If you need an extreme armor item to counter a very high AD team, think about getting Thornmail.

In the event where the enemy team is tanky, you will probably have to counter by becoming tanky yourself. As an ability power champion, your damage comes from bursting down the enemy, but that's not a very good option if the enemy team can't be bursted, so you have to try to outlive them while shredding their resistances. Void Staff removes 40% of their magic resistance, which makes it a good choice against a tanky team, but don't get it if they only have one tank, and they aren't getting a lot of Magic Resist (hold Tab to look at their items).

Some rules of thumb:
Rabadon's Deathcap is very good for almost any AP champion.
Abyssal Scepter is most effective with close range AP champions (Annie, Veigar, Kassadin). Don't get it for long range champions (Ziggs, Lux)
Rod of Ages is a very good item that adds both damage and survivability, but you will want to complete it by the 20 minute mark, or you might not get the full use out of it.
Archangel's Staff and Tear of the Goddess are only good if you are constantly casting spells. Otherwise, you won't max them out quickly enough for them to be worth it.

Z The Slayer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-25-2012

If you are Attack Damage
Your type of attack is very important as an attack damage character. As a melee fighter, you have to go decently tanky, but with enough damage to cause a threat. As a ranged, you will want to output as much damage as possible, and have your defensive items scale with your damage.

Ranged AD
More than likely, this will be your standard ranged AD build:
Berserker's Greaves
Infinity Edge (High crit damage)
Phantom Dancer (crit chance and attack speed)
Bloodthirster (High damage and lifesteal)
Either a Phantom Dancer, Bloodthirster, or Black Cleaver
and a tanky item of your choice.

Some may replace the tanky item with a Phantom Dancer or Bloodthirster (while you may have two of both, you should never have 3 of one kind) if they are doing extremely well.
As for a tanky item, that may be Banshee's Veil, Guardian Angel or Warmog's Armor
If the enemy is building lots of armor, get a Last Whisper, and make all of that armor they're stacking completely futile. If the enemy has a lot of magic damage, you may want a Wit's End or a Maw of Malmordius. If the enemy team has a lot of life, think about getting Madred's Bloodrazor

Z The Slayer

06-25-2012

Melee AD
As a melee, your job is slightly different, as you are supposed to be an off-tank, but still dishing out surprising amount of damage. While it varies from champion to champion, here are some items to think about:
Frozen Mallet (high life, decent damage, slows on melee hit)
Warmog's Armor (Extreme life and health regen)
Atma's Impaler (Gives damage based upon how high your life is, great when combined with Warmog's. This combo has even been called "Atmog's", due to it's popularity)
Force of Nature (High life regen, movement speed, and magic resist)
Black Cleaver (Extreme damage)
Bloodthirster (High Damage, Lifesteal)
Maw of Malmordius (Magic Resist, gives damage per health lost)
Randuin's Omen (Life, Armor, and slows enemies when they hit you)
Count how many "squishies" you have compared to your "tankies". You should have at least two "tankies" on your team, so build your items accordingly. And, of course, build items that counter the enemy's team.

If you choose a squishier build, you can choose the aforementioned Ranged AD items. Just keep in mind, you have to get a lot closer to dish out the same amount of damage.

Z The Slayer

06-25-2012

If you are Tanking
Tanks are odd, as they all have the same goal, but are often built differently. Rammus, for example, does more damage when he has higher armor, but Galio deals more damage the higher his magic resist is.
Jarvan is a tank that deals high damage, so he syngergizes well with a balance of damage and tankiness.Leona is designed to disable and stun an entire enemy team before they can react, so cooldown reduction is a must. So just remember this when you are building items. Here's a list of items you might want to think about:

Sunfire Cape (armor, health, and deals magic damage to enemies touching you at all times)
Warmog's Armor
Frozen Heart (armor, mana, and cooldown reduction. Also weakens enemy AD damage)
Force of Nature
Randuin's Omen
Thornmail (Gives extreme armor, returns magic damage when someone attacks you with a basic attack)
Abyssal Scepter (Magic Resistance, and reduces the resistance of nearby enemies)

Z The Slayer

06-25-2012

Well, I hope that answers most of your questions. The site has an item list, so you can check out specific numbers, but these are most of what people use.