Dealing with 'new improved' summons controls.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-25-2012

I noticed that Riot screwed up the summon controls for all champs that have shades and other critters that are controllable.

Before you could hold ALT, then give them commands. Now, as per the patch notes something else wierd happens.

So the result was that my shade winds up just STANDING THERE LIKE AN IDIOT.

I use ALT key for smart-selfcasting, so I will hold ALT, W,E to smartcast yorick's stuff for example, but I don't have smartcasting permanently enabled.
Maybe that is messing it up somehow.

Any assistance on dealing with this and making my shade actually DO stuff if I don't want to explicitly control it?

FlavenMan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-25-2012

Press R again.

Warrrrax

06-26-2012

Anyone offer a more in depth explanation?

Does it default to you having full control over the summon, then press R to make it auto-controlled?

Why the hell did they change this? Holding ALT to give orders and releasing to control your champ seemed way more intuitive. The summon would foloow your orders until it went out of range or the order was completed then went back to auto-control.

How is this new system any better? Heck, I still don't understand exactly what they did or why they did it.

arcticnerd

06-26-2012

I’ve always found controlling the pets in lol difficult simply because the alt key on my laptop isn’t all that accessible. Maybe I should explain more. I play on a duel booted Apple laptop and so my alt key is also my apple key meaning that for me to use alt I have to hold the function key and then press the apple key. This pretty much makes it impossible for me to accurately control my pets. It is a serious problem epically because I enjoy playing Yorick. I haven’t had a chance to try out the new pet commands but moving the pet control key to R is already a great boon to me.

I am sure there are other players who have had difficulties controlling their pets and this qol change will make it easier of them as well.

As far as the actually command goes they say that controlling the pet is “similar” to using the alt key. That wording seems suspicious to me and I wish Riot would avoid using ambiguous terms. If something is similar then it isn’t the same and a quick explanation of the differences is warranted. It also doesn’t say that the alt key controls have been removed. Have they in fact been removed? In their quest to dumb down their patch notes they frequently leave these important tidbits out.

Like I said I haven’t gotten a chance to play recently but I suspect that they controls can be quite easily figured out with a bit of experimentation. Perhaps an AI match would be a good place to start.

Warrrrax

06-26-2012

Their explanation was garbage.

Heres what I saw:

Id play Yorick, use my Ult and it would just stand there doing absolutely nothing. I would hold ALT and tell it to go attack something and I believe it did move to engage but then would stand there again.

I think what they did was change it so that it no longer seems to have any default-intelligence of its own. But I am really not sure. Didnt have time to fiddle with it and try to figure out what the hell they did.

I'm not sure why everyone has to set up AI matches just to figure out a control change. Geez.