Approach to Increasing Elo?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

M4ster J0e

11-04-2012

Hello fellow summoners! In anticipation for the elo reset on Nov.6th, I'm seeking advice on how to increase my elo. I'm currently 1257, and I would like to reach at least gold by the end of Nov.

I feel like I sometimes play well, and sometimes I do very poorly (especially when I jungle). I typically lane solo top with characters like Olaf, Darius, etc. I can trade hits decently against most melee champs. Some range champs harass me quite a bit, so when I play Olaf, how do I respond? I really want to master one champ as I play ranked, and Olaf has been my #1 guy in normal games. Do I need to worry about being counterpicked as I play thru 1200's to 1500's elo, and maybe pick up other champs whom I may not play as well with? Or do I stick to what works for me and learn to cope with my matchups?

Should I be a more aggressive top laner and push my lane in order to give me opportunities to roam, or should I just play safe and try to freeze minions in my favor if possible (which feels impossible for me when my top lane opponent is ranged, since they will most likely push minions to my tower)? I'm sure a lot of my answer would come from examining the junglers on each team, seeing which one clears jungle faster, has better ganks, etc. Is there some quick reference online for information on how to play solo top in ranked based on your and the enemy team's composition?

I want to develop better habits mechanically. I feel like a huge part of playing LoL is just to react as quickly as possible to situations, as well as moving in lane and farming minions efficiently. As Olaf, how should my laning phase play out? What's the most effective way to farm minions and harass/keep my top lane opponent in check? Again, I feel like I need a lot of improving when it comes to keyboard input. Is there an LoL training regiment to master APM, or is this something you master as you keep playing pvp matches?

I've watched many professional LoL matches to have a general sense of "phases" of a game. Generally, you start with jungle protects/invades, followed by a laning phase. When a tower falls, typically one lane starts roaming in an attempt to pressure the next mid tower. As mid towers fall, the towers identical in tier to the fallen mid tower is focused on next. As towers keep falling, jungle objectives become easier to control (if you're the team destroying towers.) So during this whole mid phase, a team ideally moves together around the map to either split push (a 3-4 man tower pressure while 1-2 teammates farm and push other lanes), or to answer against opponents pushing. As a team gains jungle control, either by clearing enough wards and/or destroying towers and pushing waves, objectives like Baron become feasible, and in some cases a necessity, in order to push inhibitor turrets and end the game. Usually at least a series of pick-offs or a favorable team fight is required for the stronger team to successfully push down to the nexus.

This is how I think an LoL match generally plays out. I feel like I need to have this in the back of my mind every time I'm playing in order to have SOMETHING to do during mid game. I feel like mid game is my weakest point, because sometimes I lose sight of jungle objectives or tower pressure, meanwhile being too worried about an enemy team ambushing me if I roam around too much, even if I have my team with me. As a top laner who's most likely going to play Olaf (or if I play Olaf jungle, because that's the only jungler I feel comfortable with), what is my role in and out of team fights. And is there any real way to practice this game theory efficiently on my own, or do I need to play pvp matches just to get the feel of it?

I got into LoL in April, and I think I played about 1200+ pvp matches, 48 of them being ranked. I don't know if I've developed bad habits while playing, but I do know that I sometimes get easily kited in team fight situations, or champions like Lee Sin run circles around me all day. I feel like I want to find someone really good to duo queue who would most likely carry me to some higher elo, but I want to find a relatively quick way to play LoL at a higher elo level through my own merit.

I guess my main question is: what is your approach when playing in LoL solo ranked queue? As a relatively noobish player, do I generally play safely in my games and let other players make plays which will carry or lose the game for me, or do I try to make plays for my team in order to maybe help other teammates who are struggling in-game? I ask this question because I know of players that play well individually (micro?), but in team related situations, will always play safely and almost always choose to not risk their own score by making any big plays that may help the team. Do I take this approach, or do I always try to be a play maker, even if I put my own score and ranked stats in jeopardy?

And I would like to hear your feedback/experiences on how you've made it past 1200-1500 elo or higher. Do you feel like elo's under 2k and be considered elo hell, like if you feel that some professional players don't play all that much better than you, but somehow they're above 2k elo?

Timammoth

11-04-2012

Well u have a lot here. But generally speaking if you want to increase your elo in solo que. Then you have to be better then your opponents. If you think you are better. Then you will play as well as you can. So finding a champion that you feel you can almost always do good with is key. I believe you have this, as you mentioned you like olaf. If you feel you can get higher elo (1500) then you should dominate your lane almost every game. Once you have killed your laning opponent a couple of times he will probley be whingeing to his jungler that he hasn't got any ganks. The jungler or mid laner will start ganking top and if u can escape ganks or kill the jungler or top lane or both. This is going to put the jungler and the top laner severely behind. Once you take his tower down u should start counter jungling and making plays on mid . By then you should have effected 3 of there players severely the jungler, mid and top laner. From here you should be able to carry out the game with the rest of your team. As they ride out on the advantage that you have created.(3 players on opposing team put behind, less kills,less cs, less exp). This doesn't always work and it is easy to make mistakes and it will happen. And sometimes your team will just be completely retarded and the game is uncarryable. But thats all part of solo que.

You mentioned you sometimes have trouble with ranged champs in top lane. You could go armour 5hp 1st and carefully farming under tower and with your q, just waiting for your jungler to make a gank to score a kill. rush ninja tabi then grabbing a chain vest. This should give u around 130 armour which should supress your opponents damge enough. You could now buy a vamperic scepter for life steal.

This is perfect against any ranged ad as you should have enough sustain and armour to do well in lane.

From here you should easily be able to out trade the ranged champ in a 1 v 1. If your playing olaf try to catch them out by hitting them with undertow, slowing them, Then following up and auto attacking then undertow again once the cd has reset. You should also buy a phage to slow them even more if it procs with your auto attack.

M4ster J0e

11-04-2012

Ok, I'll stack defense and farm closer to my tower against ranged opponents. How do I approach the rest of the team, like in a teamfight, with Olaf in ranked games? Would I be able to initiate a good number of teamfights, or does it really depend on the two team comps in the match? I'm just concerned that, even if I do "win my lane", I may not use that advantage well, or perhaps my mid or bot might lose their lane more than I won my lane.

My question also applies to jungle Olaf, which wouldn't be as strong as top lane Olaf. Are there differences for each of these roles (top laner vs jungler) when it comes to Olaf's job in a teamfight? Do I build more defensively as a jungler to support my team, or do I stick to my main Olaf build when I solo top?

LvL100 Milotic

11-04-2012

master 3 champions, and try to play in the jungle most

M4ster J0e

11-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSqu1shy View Post
master 3 champions, and try to play in the jungle most
So always try to play jungler, even if some games have solo top available?

And for someone who plays Olaf, who should my other champs be? I figure I should pick up champs that counter my Olaf counters. Which champs counter Olaf the hardest, and what should I use to counter those Olaf counters?

After some quick research, Olaf gets countered in lane by champs with poke harass and fast pushing. So champs like Jayce, Nidalee, Yorick, etc, give Olaf a hard time. It seems that, in order to counter these champs, you have to play someone who has high mobility, gap closers, and burst damage. That pretty much screams "Akali" to me, so I guess she's the next champ I'll try to play (I'll also try to have teammates play her when I play Olaf.) I have also played other champs like Renekton in the past, and he also has the counter mechanics of Akali, so I'll try to buy him the next chance I get.

M4ster J0e

11-05-2012

Still though, I'm a little unsure about my overall approach to the game. I feel like mid game, I make poor decisions because I don't make the optimal use of my time or I try to rush towers/objectives. I'm really curious as to how some good players approach the mid and late game, when the laning phase is over.

KillSwitch427

11-05-2012

Joe, I'm kind of in the same situation as you are. My max elo is 1333 and I'm sitting right under there right now. Anyway, I'm convinced that part of raising your elo is just playing games, keeping a good attitude, and not playing on tilt. Beyond that, do as much to help your teammates as possible. Recently my play has improved because instead of worrying about getting kills, I worry a lot more about surviving and protecting teammates.

Take it or leave it, but mid game you should really focus on not getting caught, and trying to catch out opponents in places where your team has wards. Sneaking a dragon, stealing a red, killing the mid (and then taking their tower) are all ways to get small advantages that snowball. Getting good engagements where your team is with you is the key imo. Good luck, hope to see you on ladder.

Timammoth

11-05-2012

You don't have to play olaf jungle if u want to carry. to be honest i find it easier to carry top lane. but thats just me. There is no real hard counters to olaf but i would suggest learning his match ups. But this is pretty much just experience. And imaging how u would play in different match ups. Olaf is one of the strongest top champs and no one counters him that hard.

M4ster J0e

11-06-2012

What about Olaf's teamfight mechanics? How much initiation power do I have, especially if I build items like Shurelya's Reverie? Should I let me team initiate into the enemy and flank from behind or the sides? If I can't focus the AD and AP carries, do I pop my ult and run in after them, or do I save my ult and fight the front line first, relying on my AD and AP carries to reach the enemy carries? Which occasions do I focus on protecting my carries vs destroying the enemy carries?