Let's Talk About Syndra...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Puppy Fury

09-25-2012

I've been experimenting with Syndra since she's free right now and I think her balls look really cool. I'm not doing great with her, but I don't feel like I'm doing terribly either. I'm looking for any general tips, tricks, and piece of advice anyone can give, but I'll also ask some specific questions:

1. How should I play her in lane? Should I harass or focus on farming? I'm torn on her early kill potential. Otherwise, I'm doing decently with her in lane. I farm well, and I'm not giving up kills. It's post-lane that things start to go down hill.

2. How viable is roaming and ganking on her? How much should I be doing this?

3. Masteries and builds? (I just have a generic AP rune page and can't afford to build another any time soon.) Because she needs CD I've been building an Athene's and DFG on her. Do I need to put some durability on her? Don't know if this is objectively true or not but her range feels smallish to me, particularly on E, and her movement speed is terrible which leads to some positioning issues.

4. What do you do in team fights? As I said above, I'm having positioning issues. I'm especially having difficult adjusting to Syndra compared to playing the highly mobile Fizz.

DinoRawrous

09-25-2012

I have played as Syndra once but have faced her in 11 games so far as Katarina and Teemo and will reply from Kat/Teemos' point of view!

1. Focus on farming. I find her Q very predictable and am only getting hit once every 10th cast or so.

2. Her ganks are horrible ... Scatter the Weak by itself is.. weak. And to proc that stun, you need DS which you cant position well while keeping the element of surprise.
Her slow is also very predictable. She picks up a minnion/DS.. how more obivious can you get! Even if she came out of the bush with a DS in hand with all the intention of landing that slow, it has a horribly low projectile speed and more often than not misses. u_u

3. I dont know much about Masteries and builds as I only played 1 game with her so far. Sorry!

4. Her biggest thing IS positioning. You need to be in position to proc that stun with StW + DS.. which is hard to do because people just back off when they see 3-4 DS or zone you out so its impossible to land that DS + StW.
Her other issue is that she needs to prep for a fight. Her ult has HUGE burst damage if you can get a few DS down first. But again, we just backed out or zoned her out so couldnt use it on our carry.

I guess the best way to go about team fights would be to DS around yourself and then ult someone in their team... then use StW to hit whoever you can and hope your team can utilize it.. but a stun isnt worth much if you push them back also :/

my 2 pennies for what they are worth! Thanks for reading ^__^

Lethadind

09-25-2012

In my opinion she's one of the worst champions Riot has released. I'm not saying this to be negative, but the stats speak for themselves. 30% win-rate even in platinum matches is just ridiculous. Once the win-rate gets beyond 5-10% on average either way is when Riot buffs/nerfs them, she's 20% below average.

Just reading up on her kit I was put off. She seemed like way too high maintenance for her to actually be viable. You'd have to practice with her for months to get her positioning down and to figure out how to make the best use of her spheres. Against a static target she would pwn, but against dynamic targets - such as any normal teamfight, her kit is completely countered.

My advice (I know this is somewhat trolly but I'm serious) is just not to play her, and find a different champ. Riot usually does a great job with their champion design, but this one I think sorta failed.

TheOneMillion

09-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethadind View Post
In my opinion she's one of the worst champions Riot has released. I'm not saying this to be negative, but the stats speak for themselves. 30% win-rate even in platinum matches is just ridiculous. Once the win-rate gets beyond 5-10% on average either way is when Riot buffs/nerfs them, she's 20% below average.

Just reading up on her kit I was put off. She seemed like way too high maintenance for her to actually be viable. You'd have to practice with her for months to get her positioning down and to figure out how to make the best use of her spheres. Against a static target she would pwn, but against dynamic targets - such as any normal teamfight, her kit is completely countered.

My advice (I know this is somewhat trolly but I'm serious) is just not to play her, and find a different champ. Riot usually does a great job with their champion design, but this one I think sorta failed.
Nicely said.

Lord Puppy Fury

09-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethadind View Post

I do think your point has merit. I did feel kinda goofy in team fights like, "Now y'all just stand there while I prep for 10 seconds, okay?"

Thanks for all the replies!

sayguh

09-26-2012

I bought her right away because the mechanics looked fun and challenging and i like the way her ultimate used the orbs. However, in the first game i realized how weak she was. In late game teamfights all you can hope for is some KS's to make it looked like you did something. Her mana cost early game is way to high for the amount of dmg Q and W do. I suggest keeping her on the bench until a buff comes out, which it will since RIOT is good about balance.

kenoin

09-26-2012

. How should I play her in lane? Should I harass or focus on farming? I'm torn on her early kill potential. Otherwise, I'm doing decently with her in lane. I farm well, and I'm not giving up kills. It's post-lane that things start to go down hill.
You should play her fairly aggressive in lane, make sure that your jungle does not need blue buff cause you will need it by lv 5. if you can get an early one that'll help even more. Her mp5/ Cost to use her spells are both horrible. You want to focus and farming over harass but if the enemy champion is next to a creep that you can last hit... Go for the Q. She's pretty useless until she hits lv 6 to be honest.
2. How viable is roaming and ganking on her? How much should I be doing this?
Roaming on her is pretty viable over the level of 8 if you're fed. i would say every chance you get after the level of 6... the more you get fed the more power to you. Make sure you'll be able to kill them and that the enemy lane you're going into is below the amount of 65% though. or that you'll be able to burst them down.
3. Masteries and builds? (I just have a generic AP rune page and can't afford to build another any time soon.) Because she needs CD I've been building an Athene's and DFG on her. Do I need to put some durability on her? Don't know if this is objectively true or not but her range feels smallish to me, particularly on E, and her movement speed is terrible which leads to some positioning issues.
I would say you build AP Quints, MP Reds , Either ability per level blues, or Magic Res per level, or just normal MR runes. Yellow would have to be mana per five.... No matter what. You'll have to go 21/0/9 granted no way around it... you need the extra mp5 and the extended blue buff.
4. What do you do in team fights? As I said above, I'm having positioning issues. I'm especially having difficult adjusting to Syndra compared to playing the highly mobile Fizz.
What do you want to do in team fights? you'll want to adjust yourself behind the tank, since you float you'll stick out you don't want to get in mele range of anyone, poking down your enemy's before a teamfight is very important. You'll need to try to do as much AoE damage as possible; make sure to stun at the start of the fight so you have the fighting advantage. You'll want to focus the ADC, or the other ap carry, or if there's a bigger threat focus them... make sure that you have someone peeling for you or else you'll be screwed, when that stun goes off cd your only way to escape would be flash... i'd Run flash ignite and she's only good mid so far and can be countered by alot of other mids. If you start to feed mid... ask for a lane switch top... you'll want to keep your farm you cannot let this happen, if you fall behind on syndra it's pretty much gg for you... you'll need very good farm and try to get as much assits/ kills possible.

desolation0

09-26-2012

Compare her to other mages in the game right now. She needs setup for 3 of her abilities to get the most out of them, and that setup often requires using Q suboptimally. Her hard cc is tied to an effect you don't want 3/4ths of the time, pushing your enemy away is great defensively but terrible when trying to kill short of setting up behind them in a bush/on a gank so you can push them into an ally. The range on her E is terrible even if you DID want to push them away. You'll have to drop an orb, pick it up, then toss it at them, none of which can be done in a hurry, to use W as an escape tool. Her ult has nice power, but have fun setting up to use it to secure a kill with the rest of her kit. To top it all off, all her base abilities have AP ratios, slowing effects, and spell vamp tied to the fact that they are AOE abilities. I think she might be awesome duo-lane with a Heimer packing a mana manipulator. You can toss his turrets to put them right on their champs, and slow them to boot, push them back into the turrets with an added stun and other hijinks. Well, good luck and have fun.