My AP Mid Lux (c&c welcome)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Uiraya

06-24-2012

I am currently Lv. 24 (112/107 w/l) and have been playing AP Mid Lux for the vast majority of that time. (Free Week Ashe -> IP Janna -> IP Lux -> Brief failed dalliance w/ RP Irelia -> Lux.) I have read a few guides and noticed that what they discuss is fairly different from what I do, though this is possibly due to old information. And occasionally, teammates question my build. So I thought I'd throw it all up on the board and see what people think.

Playstyle: I want to harass the hell out of my lane opponent- deny farm and either force him/her out or kill them, and prefer to aim my E so that it weakens minions as well, getting the last hit on most of them (most opponents stand with the minions so this is easy) and sometimes taking out a bunch of previously weakened minions. Around Lv. 6 an E + 1 AA will kill a mage minion so I start doing that when my opponent is away, getting lots of gold. I'll push right to the tower but only with wards up and an eye on the map. Once the first mid tower is down and laning phase is over, I want to group up and shoot lasers, while shielding and snaring as appropriate. I am perfectly happy ending a game with two kills and 20 assists.

Item build: Meki Pendent + 2 sodas, Chalice of Harmony + boots + 2 wards on first back. Ideally, Athene's Unholy Grail on second back, then start Morello's. Upgrade boots to Sorc for the MPen. I used to get Deathcap at this point but recently have been getting Crystal Scepter first for the health+slow (500 HP is a lot). Whenever I have change I grab a few more wards. If a game actually lasts this long, I've just been getting another spellcap. Certainly open to suggestions with the scepter and items afterward.

Spells: Flash and Clarity. I'm still learning Flash (used Teleport and Clarity for the longest time) but Clarity really helps keeping up the harass and staying in lane. I'm doing pretty well if my first retreat is for mana.

Runes: I have the Lv. 30 runeset bought, but am obviously still working on it. MPen marks, MReg seals, and AP quints and glyphs.

Masteries: Mostly themed around murdering minions faster. 23/0/1; all full: Brute Force, Mental Force, Butcher, Sorcery, Demolitionist, Arcane Knowledge, Vampirism, Archmage, Executioner, and Summoner's Insight for Clarity/Flash. I know 3% lifesteal isn't much but it's a lot more than 0%. I'll probably put my last six points in Expanded Mind and Meditation.

Skills: First three levels EQW, then R>E>Q>W.

My priorities are mana regen, cooldown, and then ap, which is why I've built this way. I want to use E all the time during laning phase, and after Chalice I'm pretty comfortable with my mana consumption. And then there's the remaining runes and masteries to make it even better. Grail+Morello's+Sorcery is 39% CDR and on a good day I have it and boots by Lv. 14, saving blue for the jungler/support. Clarity does get less useful as the game goes on, but I think doing really well in the earlygame will make the lategame easier as a matter of course (and it does occasionally get me kills after extended teamfights). This is also why my runes are all flats; I want the additional power to do better in lane right away. Once we get to grouped up teamfighting time I don't think the scaling runes are going to matter much anyway.

I am curious about how exactly MPen works, and if I'm going overboard with it. I know some people like the 15% CDR shoes with Lux, and that would free up the Grail item, but what else will give such glorious MReg?

Thoughts?
~Uiru

sugarcrotch

06-24-2012

seems fine, the only thing id suggest is taking ignite instead of clarity it helps to secure a kill in lane. when you are lvl 30 having mana regen seals are better and clarity isnt the way to go for lane sustain try picking up 1 mana pot 2 healths and boots,since lux isnt that strong till she gets some ap and shouldnt really have to spam her spells too much, since early game she has some what high cd's

runes i use flat regen seals, mpen reds/attack dmg for last hitting, ap/lvl glpys and ms quints or ap quints also you should try revolver ive done it a few times and throwing an e on a large minion wave can return a good amount of health also mejais is nice on lux if you are doing well and out playing your lane opponent greatly, but i normally go for a sheen into lich bane for the proc and the ms

as for the harass and farming sounds good i do the same but i get q first.

Fat Bellsprout

06-24-2012

I would start boots + 3 pots instead of a meki pendant. Also, I would get dorans instead of the chalice UNLESS you have severe mana issues. Instead, you should rush a Deathcap. Don't get Rylai's -- Lux's two main damaging spells are a snare (which stops them anyways) and a slow that has a bigger slow than Rylai's. After you rush a Deathcap, you can start building other things such as Void Staff (if they're stacking MR), Deathfire Grasp (if they're stacking health), possibly Athene's (don't get Athene before the Deathcap however), Zhonya's (if you're getting focused), etc. Some people get Lich Bane but it's really risky as Lux has very poor base stats and her auto attack range is only 550, so you run the risk of absolutely exploding. Morello's is just not a very good item in general, and its active is useless for Lux. And it's great that you're saving your blue for your jungler/support, but in all honesty you should be the one taking it. It's not worth getting some subpar, inefficient items to give blue elsewhere as it gimps your damage greatly.

Go 21-0-9, not 23-0-1.

This guide should help you a lot. http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=20762

XCodes

06-24-2012

Start either Boots 3 or Cloak 2. Not much of a reason for that Meki Pendant early.

Every time you go back, pick up a couple wards.

Early in lane phase you're going to want a Kage's Lucky Pick, 2 Doran's Rings, Sorc Boots, and a Sheen. This is typical for any burst AP carry.

First item you want to get after this is a Deathcap. Lux has great AP ratios, so you want to capitalize on that.

Next item is a Lich Bane. Time to put all that AP you just built with Deathcap to some extra work.

If the game is still going, turn your Pick into a Deathfire Grasp. Put the DFG activation into your rotation after the root hits, but before your ult (so you make sure you don't waste it).

EDIT: Also, it's good to throw your E into the mage minions. It forces your enemy to move away from the creeps, making them an easier target for your Q->R combo past 6.

Uiraya

06-25-2012

So I tried getting Deathcap before Grail and Morello's and the difference in cooldowns was agonizing, and I didn't really notice the increased AP. :/ Now, it was just some random pickups so I didn't really have any junglers to fetch me blue. That probably would have made a difference. While team support is always fantastic, I'm used to being on my own to an extent (for better and for worse).
~Uiru

Call Mee Maybee

06-25-2012

Lux sucks D's.. find a new champ