Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@Riot, let's face it... Unpopular summoner spells are useless...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Drastone

Recruiter

06-24-2012

there's more at work here, don't forget in lower ELO games where it's more about "me" and less about "team" ignite and exhaust are very popular because they help you get kills. Also the utility of some of these spells just drastically outweighs the benefits of the other one. For example surge: When if ever are you going to have a situation where you can FULLY use that aspd/AP? Compared to ignite which will always have the full effect when used. As was said revive is kind of a big deal in dominion. As for promote, if split pushing becomes a thing again you'll see it.

GalaxyHeroRumble

06-24-2012

Quote:
Insanitiee:
Ignite if anything should be removed. Really idiotic spell.

Hi, I'm guessing you main Tryndamere xD

GalaxyHeroRumble

06-24-2012

Quote:
Drastone:
there's more at work here, don't forget in lower ELO games where it's more about "me" and less about "team" ignite and exhaust are very popular because they help you get kills. Also the utility of some of these spells just drastically outweighs the benefits of the other one. For example surge: When if ever are you going to have a situation where you can FULLY use that aspd/AP? Compared to ignite which will always have the full effect when used. As was said revive is kind of a big deal in dominion. As for promote, if split pushing becomes a thing again you'll see it.

Actually, I think Twitch can make good use of Surge. Until he gets to the att spd cap.

Crafter of Stars

06-24-2012

I like surge on Voli...combined with his ULT, and some other Attack speed items, the damage melts anything not stacking MR. Problem with Surge is in non mandatory team fight situations, certain champions can just disengage and wait for it to go on CD, which is stupid long time.

jamesraynor1

06-24-2012

I kinda think it need to work like rally did, where it affects allied units around your champion as well, like an aura item. Then it would actually be useful. On the other hand they might need to nerf the stats slightly because giving 70 AP to you AND champs around you would be a little much. I think the attack speed might have to go down like 5% as well to compensate for the aura effect.

Krufix

06-24-2012

Promote offers so much when you have one on your team. Instant super minion on a super low cooldown is nothing to scoff at. It blocks enemy pushes, split pushes and helps push.
I don't think you've tried it before...

Also Surge is usually bad yes. But 80AP is a huge boost at level 18 so it's viable on a few rare champions (Basically only Heimerdinger who gets to keep the AP boost indefinately thanks to his turrets never increasing or decreasing his AP until they're redeployed)

Revive is the worst. Needs so much done to it. Lower the coooldown to 7-9 times your current death timer.

Soft Aunt Hugs

06-24-2012

I definitely think they need some buffs, but only so people will start picking them.

Heal wasn't picked for the longest time and was considered a noob spell, until it was buffed and suddenly became a very powerful bait. Subsequent nerfs later, people are still using Heal.

I think Promote and Revive offer a very unique play style and I would like to see them used more frequently. Some buffs would be cool.

Amelie

06-24-2012

You do realize people play the game before level 30 right? And not every summoner spell is available from level 1? So all of those "bad" spells are really not all that bad when you're new, low level, and don't have any runes or masteries.

Cuberino

06-24-2012

Promote is generally worthless.

Revive is required in serious Dominion play.

Clarity is there as a crutch for newer players who have trouble managing mana.

CV is still used in high level SR tournament games.

Surge is used by some people on champions like Tristana that scale well with AP and AS (early game anyway).

Cleanse is used all the time on hypercarries like Vayne whose priority is not to get kills in lane but rather to live late game.

The only spell that probably needs some buff is Promote - it's not used in SR and it's not used on Dominion because Garrison is superior in every way.

XVIII The Moon

06-24-2012

how about we just remove flash?

That in turn opens up a summoner slot that a lot of people don't take. due to flash.

It isn't just the fact that the other summoners are under 2%, it's also the problem that flash is 44%, one third of the usage.