Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@Riot, let's face it... Unpopular summoner spells are useless...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Electronic Ice

06-24-2012

Thanks to Lolking.net I could see the graphs showing how much is each summoner spell used..
See Here to check (http://www.lolking.net/charts?region=all&league=ranked&type=spell-popularity)

Surge, Clarity, Clairvoyance, Promote, Cleanse and Revive share a 2% of spell popularity.. So they are almost never used...(I belive the majority of that 2% goes to Clairvoyance, Cleanse and Clarity)

What are the problems with these spells? Why aren't they as popular as Flash, Ignite or Exhaust?

Surge

Surge increases your ability power by 10-78 (depending on level) and attack speed by 35% for 12 seconds and has a cooldown of 180 seconds.
So what's the main purpose of this spell? A- Do more damage B- Help push and finish towers

About the ability Power

The amount of ability Power given is just too little to help you do more damage, I mean at level 6 you get 30 more AP and for a 0.6 AP ratio skill you only do 18 more dmg before MR...
While Ignite deals 170 True Dmg over time reducing healing effects (again, at level 6), To deal that damage with surge you would need to do a combo of at least 5.66 AP ratio that's impossible AND it would be Magic Damage so you still get less damage due to magic resistance...

About the attack speed
Everything depends on the amount of damage you are doing and the items you have, if you have too much attack speed you will be capped at 2.5 attack speed limit and render the spell useless, if you have little damage you won't do more damage that with ignite or in a 1v1 if the enemy uses exhaust you get owned anyway...

Suggestion on fixing Surge
1- Make it give you some armor and magic resistance (a little, it also goes well with the big size animation)
2- Make it deal you 30% more damage instead of giving AP and AS
3- Reduce Cooldown

Promote

Metamorphoses the nearest allied siege minion into an anti-turret cannon, healing it, granting bonus stats, and causing it to grant the caster gold for its kills.

In Classic mode it does not heal completely the minion so you can't actually save an almost dieing siege minion.
Once you get the inhibitors you can't use this spell anymore cause superminions are unpromotable.
If an enemy kills your promoted minion they get 60 gold, so you make them get more money if they killed it fast...

Suggestion on fixin Promote
1- Make it work on minions after inhibitors are taken
2- Reduce cooldown

Revive
If you select this spell you are expecting to die.. You are either Karthus or are not confident enough. It has a very long cooldown

What do you think?

SupremeDeity

06-24-2012

Surge needs to be made to affect all people around the champ using it as well as provding more useful statistics

RedSoloCup24

06-24-2012

Just because they aren't as used, doesn't mean they should get rid of them. They are just extremely niched. For example, I was watching the stream of 2500+ ELO on the homepage, and somebody promoted a sole siege minion and took down the base turret, which he couldn't have tanked himself.

Nomercy Elder

06-24-2012

flash-ignite/exhaust will remainthe top pick

no point on wasting time on another spells

Kythers

06-24-2012

clarity could give some CDR somehow

Lyanna Stark

06-24-2012

Revive has a place on dominion, but surge and promote most definitely need help.

Sorakabanana

06-24-2012

Ah, how I miss the days back when Riot was young and naive and believed it could nerf flash so we wouldn't have ten people taking flash every game.

Tyler Perry

Recruiter

06-24-2012

Quote:
SupremeDeity:
Surge needs to be made to affect all people around the champ using it as well as provding more useful statistics

It used to do that
on PBE when it was unveiled

Dog and Cow

Recruiter

06-24-2012

Let Clarity detect stealth, that would make bot lane a bit more interesting.

Lyanna Stark

06-24-2012

Quote:
Sorakabanana:
Ah, how I miss the days back when Riot was young and naive and believed it could nerf flash so we wouldn't have ten people taking flash every game.

I wonder if Riot will ever man up and remove flash. Probably not.

I'd argue that balancing it is pretty much impossible. Can it take you over walls? Too good. If not, almost pointless.