Malphite, The Overlord of the jungle

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Alamander

08-29-2010

Just to let you know, malphite is considered widely underpowered and ergo you are underestimated. This guide will show you how to jungle, grab a kill around level 4 and ultimately how to run a game as Malphite.

PreGame

I run my masteries 0/9/21, although anything with at least 9 in utility for the buff duration will suffice. The mastery of quickness stacks with my Movement Speed Quintessences , giving me a bit of command when I'm ganking early. I also have Armor Penetration and Dodge %.

I use Ghost and Smite, and as a jungling malphite i really cant suggest anything outside of this. Maybe flash if you are dead set on avoiding Ghost.

Item Build

1. Cloth Armor 3 Hp potions and 1 Mana Pot
2. Upgrade to Ninja Tabi
3. Heart of Gold
4. Heart of Gold
5. Heart of Gold
6. Heart of Gold
7. Heart of Gold or Force of Nature
8. Randuins Omen
9. Sell Heart of Gold, Guardian Angel
10. Sell Heart of Gold, Sunfire Cape
11. Sell Heart of Gold, Any item to fit the game. I'll grab Frozen Heart if they have DPS or Banshees Veil if they are magic based. ThornMail is always a good choice as well.

The theory behind this build is that you are in the jungle already. You should get a kill around level 6 which will spring your first and second Heart of Gold. The extra gold and armor you get from this item both improves your E, gives you HP, and allows you to have in fact more gold than most laning characters.

Strategy and Game BreakDown

your skill order till level 6 is as follows - E,W,E,Q,E,R and afterwards you will want to max your E, then your Q, then your W.

Early Game
You jungle. Hit the Wraiths, Smite the large Wraith, then finish the rest up with E. Then once your shield regenerates you hit the Golems. They will require you to use a Hp potion and spam your E every time it comes up. Directly after this use your final Hp potion while running over to the wolves. Use your E , then Smite the Large Wolf, then devouring the remaining two wolves.

At this point you are level 3, You probably can afford Boots of Speed and a Hp potion on your trip back. at this point you jump on the blue buff, Spamming your E to reduce the amount of damage you take. Smite him, it saves mana. You might need to recall for another Hp potion to nail the red buff. You can spam every move you have against him, as the blue buff will keep your mana high.

After you Attain both buffs you gank the side thats most pushy. Use Ghost to get a hit on someone, the red buff slows him, and if they focus you, which they will you throw your W, then your E. The Q should be used if they get out of striking range to keep them slowed with your red buff. You should be able to at least get one kill out of this, if not a double.

Mid Game

Repeat the earlier process. Keep both buffs on you at all times, and if you know where the other team is take their buffs. It is risky but it pays off when they can't have them. Getting the dragon is a good idea as well. Also cover any lanes that your team dies in and/or recalls. You will probably get underestimated so use that to your advantage. Abuse your buffs and gank when your Ulti is up.

Late Game
Bring the game to a close. You should be able to initiate , debuff and focus at least one of them down before you need to retreat. Just make sure that your team is behind you - If you initiate, debuff and die while having guardian angel your team WILL mop the floor with them. You should be able to survive it even without guardian angel if you play your cards right.

Always Remember
- If you can help it, always have your shield up. Its pretty epic to have a 300-400 damage buffer between you and that nasty high damage nuke that will almost always be heading toward you.
-You can use your Ulti to escape if you need to.
-The new buff on W increases your Armor, so it causes you to deal more damage on your E.
-Spam ALOT with the blue buff. It's gonna regenerate anyway.
-If you have both buffs, you can beat most champions in a 1v1, and even take a kill in a 2v1. Do so with caution.

Anyway i hope this guide can help some of you guys dethrone the previous Kings of the jungle, making you the Overlord. Have fun with it and post any questions or comments and i will get back to you =)

This Guide is Courtesy of the Union of Assassins - check us out at www.UoA.enjin.com

Vijelle26

08-30-2010

Solid build. The Hp /armor you have with your hearts gets pretty good and helps you jungle very fast.

7Envy

08-30-2010

Try using full armor runes.
Its funny. I have them

Alamander

08-30-2010

Hahah yeah full armor runes help jungling quite a bit =) also lets you're slam work a little better. Still i prefer the MS quints with dodge and armor pen just because it is effective for doing the most dmg when you gank with the red buff early game.

SilentWhisper

08-30-2010

it's possible to take down the golum first if you have smite, makes jungling after that a breeze. only risk is enemy ganks.

after level 6 jungling anything but the dragon is a breeze, you wont even lose your granit shield to normal creeps. Smite makes things easier early on but is really unneccessary later, you kill creeps so fast with you passive aoe attack and slam that it becomes largely useless except for possible stealing enemy buffs (always funny to steal baron with a well placed smite).

Also, 4 HoG is really a bit of overkill, 1 or 2 is more than enough (I just take one personally to turn into omen). malph can farm fast enough to get his neccessary items quickly.

also, it isnt bad taking at least 1 damage item, he can buff himself 40% more damage, so if he's doing 200 damage, you just gained an extra 80 damage. The more damage you do the more the buff increases it. It's not bad building him as a tank but if you make him more of a tanky DPS'r he can both soak up damage AND deal it out at the same time.

Items that work well on him IMO are:
chalice (lets you spam your spells all day long, very fun even if it sets you back in money).
merc treads or tabi (he prefers tabi but if they are caster/cc heavy merc treads are the way to go)
omen (perfect synergy with his abilities. cooldown reduc, armor, health and 2 types of movementa and attack speed slows)
frozen heart (lots of armor, mana, CDR and enemy attack speed debuff)
banshees veil (speaks for itself, good on any tank)
guardian angle (more armor, MR and rez, pretty much a must for any tank/initiator)
sunfire cape (armor, health and damage)

situational items:
thornmail: the armor is sexy and so is the damage it does but i only take it against teams with 3+ melee dps.
ghost blade: Actually very good on malph, your 40% damage buff + the 50% attack speed activation from this will blast your target apart, not to mention your attacks are still doing AOE damage. CDR and armor pen are also nice for your attacks.
Frozen mallet: More health is nice for him and after you initiate it ensures your enemies dont get away. I rarely take it however as his Q ability is normally enough.
bloodthirster: Malph's damage buff and ability to farm lots of enemies very quickly make this a very good damage item. even if you die you can quickly farm up some more minion kills to get its damage up.

i have always dreamed of facing an all AD dps team, that way i can get omen and frozen heart and watch them cry as their attack speed slows to almost nothing when combined with the slam debuff. sadly it has not happened yet.

Teabag Terror

08-30-2010

I second the idea that four HoGs is a bit much, though I'll try this out now that Malphite is free.

Also:
WE REQUIRE MORE OVERLORDS.

SilentWhisper

08-30-2010

im trying to find a good balance between DPS and Tank malphite. I just did a game where i went full tank (merc treads, omen, banshee, guardian angle, sunfire). I was pretty much unkillable but my damage was pretty awful (after my initial charge, buff and smash). I'm gonna try adding some more AD items so that my auto attacks can do at least a noticable amount of damage. was embaressing that it was taking like 20 secs to kill golum at level 18.

Alamander

08-30-2010

You'd be suprised what HoGs can do for him. I get around 2600 hp just from that, not to mention my armor sky rockets with them. Also it makes you get whatever your next item is very quickly. Each one of them exceeds their worth for sure. Resale Value too =) just try it out and see how it feels. Thanks for Critiquing hahah XD

Alamander

08-30-2010

Also i find with the red buff and your W, your damage is pretty high - I find that getting a little more attack speed in there if you want dps (I've tested Starks for the team Aura, Phantom Dancer etc). He hits pretty hard with his W and red buffed either way.