Are you stuck in Elo Hell?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Simply Chaotic

06-23-2012

Do you long to be with your own kind, the good players? Well, my friend, you are doing it all wrong.

I bet you are concerned with such pro strategies like: balanced teams, tanking/supports, strong mids, and jungler ganks.
Those are all good strategies, and definitely worth worrying about, but don't. While in elo hell (ranges around 700-1200, specifically. Any lower and you are hopeless) the concept of team play tends to fail.

What do I mean by this? Balanced teams are important to ensure all roles are present and damage type is spread out. It is important to spread out out CC, de/buffs, damage, support, initiating, wtc. However, in Elo Hell, that concept is all wrong. Don't count on most players in Elo Hell picking up a lot of defensive items to counter or properly focusing squishies/team fighting. Team play doesn't really exist all that well in elo hell. Just keep that in mind.

What about ganks? Well, ganks are always important, even in Elo Hell. If you have a good ganker and good laner, then gg, but if you have a bad ganker or a bad laner, then forget about it. Don't ever count on a good gank, unless it's proven. In fact, you should be the jungler. Learn to gank, invade, and generally harass the bad guys. Its the one place you are 100% in control.

Strong mids? Mages and bursty champions are very powerful, and scary, even to a fed bruiser. However, they tend to have a more difficult time carrying their team, since it is almost always easier to kill a mage then a bruiser. If you are good with mages, then try it out (Malzahar actually carried me out, so take that for what it is worth).

So, how do you get out of Elo Hell, then? Simple...just play LoL like a solo game. Pick a bruiser or tanky carry and just practice practice practice with him/her until you get really good. Last shot minions, don't push to enemy turret, get as many kill steals as possible (afterall, its all about you) Only you matter, don't die to save anyone else. Kill as much as possible, help your team when you can, though. Be there for ganks/teamfights/dragon/Baron/blue/red/etc. Be aggressive. B-E Aggressive. Be so aggressive, your palms sweat. BUT, don't be stupid and don't try too hard. Also, map awareness wins games. Wards save lives.
Most important, DO NOT DIE. Only First Blood, breaking Kill Streaks, and killing enemy Carries is worth dying for. Towers and inhibitors are nice targets, but not worth dying for (exception @nexusturret). Decide on a couple bruisers/tanky carries to practice with and play only them. Does your team need a support? Pick a bruiser, need a mid? Pick a bruiser. Etc etc etc.

Lastly, why do I consider myself an expert at this? Well, I don't. But I used to be in Elo Hell...and I'm not anymore. I don't consider myself a great player...at best a little below average (see @1400 elo). So, there you have it...take it for what its worth.

tl;dr
Pick a bruiser, get good, farm, kill steal, be aggressive, buy wards, forget team play, DO NOT DIE.

FactsofLife

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-23-2012

Outstanding advice. I believe I am a 1400+ player stuck in hell. I cannot tell you how many times I tried to treat ranked games like pro games and was disappointed, then when I follow this advice and play a strong bruiser I am good with we win. It is sad but true.

Simply Chaotic

06-23-2012

Well, I'm sitting in 1400 now, and I feel like there's a lot of teamwork and communication. Almost every game the players work out what they will play and the games tend to be played with more strategy, less QQing, and overall better than 1200. There are some bad games, but the majority are good.

So, I don't really know that I'd consider 1300+ to be elo hell, maybe low elo, but not hell.

ProPlayerEd

06-23-2012

If I remember correctly, people under 1300 elo tend to surrender when the odds are against them, meaning it would be best to use a champ that stomps early game like leblanc so the enemy team will QQ about noobs and feeders and will surrender due to "noobs"

themaddscientist

06-23-2012

I've been almost scared to go into elo hell because I was worried about getting out, but I think it shouldn't be so bad now. Draft pick forced me to get good with Malphite, and he's been my main solo top/jungler ever since. I've had many good games with him and I think I could carry with him if I ended up in elo hell. Thanks for posting this.

Aspartamay

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-23-2012

Tip: Try using Renekton. He is a great early game bruiser that can carry games because hes easily fed. Most low elo players do not know how to counter pick him so he's a good pick during the champion select time.

xCry0x

06-23-2012

Yea this is what I realized after my first ranked game.

I was scared to play ranked because I thought everyone would be good, turns out the majority of people you play with at first are dumber than the people you see in normal mode.

Talking about people who don't even know what last hitting is, people who have no idea how to build for their champion (yaa manamune on sivir!!) etc.

I wish I was better at playing mid because like someone else said, in low elo a strong early game can make players on the other team basically go, "oh we are down 5-0 this is over, surrender at 20."

Learning how to play a potentially huge snowball mid or top champ goes a long ways, champions like mordekaiser, sion, tryndamere can walk all over a team and basically win the game by themselves if they get going. You basically have to assume the guy you will lane against is a moron until proven otherwise if you really are a 'good player trapped in elo hell'. On the other hand, if you keep running into even matches then you probably are at your correct elo whether or not you want to admit it.

After my first 10 games I got to 1400 and realized the fighting was a lot more even all of a sudden and in my last game I got zoned pretty hard in lane. Took this as a sign that I needed to learn to play better to keep going otherwise I would most likely sit flat if not drop back down in elo. Those first games at 1200 on the other hand were a lesson in how bad some people are at games.

Kirielis

06-24-2012

Exactly what the first guy said. Pick a bruiser. A lot of bruisers can actually handle mid lane exceptionally well, even if - or particularly if - they're AD bruisers. Quite a few have very strong early games as well. And being bruisers, they're a lot harder to kill than your average snowballing squishy (Leblanc).

blackdeath17

06-24-2012

so early dmg , KS, dont give a fk about your teemates , play only for yourself , be tanky, jungle if possible...

Darius was made to get out of elo hell rigth?

Simply Chaotic

06-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPlayerEd View Post
If I remember correctly, people under 1300 elo tend to surrender when the odds are against them, meaning it would be best to use a champ that stomps early game like leblanc so the enemy team will QQ about noobs and feeders and will surrender due to "noobs"
That is how I got out of elo hell with Malzahar.

But, I don't suggest that, because it relies too heavily on the other team surrendering. If they do not, then (with a mage) you will have a tough time carrying your team to victory. It can be done, of course. It's just more difficult than with Olaf/Ren/etc.