Is my main suitable for Dominion?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sir Baggington

08-28-2012

I mainly play Katarina, but I have heard that she is not exactly optimal for Dominion. I also play Garen and Master Yi a lot, would either of them be better suited for Dominion? Or does it not matter that much at all? I am very new to this game (been playing a week) so please give a reasonable, helpful tip/explanation.

Thanks in advance, Sir Baggington

ShawNuff

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-28-2012

Kat and Garen are viable picks for dominion. You have to know how to play them, and they might have a different playstyle than classic but they are good picks. Master Yi is really weird in dominion because he generally plays botlane with an AP build... Basically since those three champs fulfill different roles, its hard to say which is better, since you probably need to be able to play all 3.

Out of those 3, none of them are super OP at the moment. Since you are a lv 10 account, I'm going to assume (I might be wrong) that you asked about those champs because they are ones you own right now. However, there are a number of very very strong champions for 1350 or less. You might want to consider:

Poppy
Nunu
Ryze (need to learn to smartcast to get full value out of him... if you don't know what it is, look it up)
Malphite
Jax
Warwick
Alistar
Teemo
Janna
Amumu

Those are the champions I consider pretty strong that are cheap (besides what you mentioned). However, some of them require that teammates know how to follow up your abilities, so they might not be the best picks yet. The ones I suggest you look at (obviously look at what seems fun to play... don't get suckered into playing a champ you don't enjoy just because it will help you win a small % more)

Poppy or Jax for Tanky Damage dealer
Malphite or Amumu for a more Tanky character (Alistar is also really good, but has a rather high skillcap, so if you are up for the challenge, he is actually free if you do something with LoL's youtube channel)
Ryze is a pretty easy Mage to learn. Again, Smartcasting is necessary.
I don't suggest learning a Ranged Carry yet because they are a bit more difficult to play effectively, but Kayle and Ashe can both be played in that role (for not much IP) if you like their kits.

Does that answer your question at all?

Kiddalee

08-29-2012

I know Katarina can work. It's Katarina players that I can't stand. Too many lack a team mentality and go to incredible lengths to chase a kill. They abandon points and get themselves bushwhacked. When you pick Kat your team needs you to stay with them, because you are vulnerable, and they need your damage — they probably picked less damagey champs to protect you. If you're bot (I've seen her burst down zoners), then ask for a switch or cover if you want to leave; you don't want the wrong person covering, or for too long, or worse, nobody. I don't know how good any of these Kat players are on Summoner's Rift, but on Dominion there are more ways to bushwhack and more varied spawn timers, so the game mode is no reason to be less team oriented.

Garen is an early game champ. Once you have the early game, you have to keep the game in your favor so it ends before the money-dependent champs start killing you. One way to do this is for the four of you to catch the enemy off guard when they're weak or careless. If you're extended to pressure, watch the spawn timers and back off when they recover teammates. Deaths stop affecting the enemy Nexus when it falls to 100 health. Then, don't make great sacrifices to bushwhack or die for a small delay that your team can't use on time, unless you intend to be low yourselves and use the spawn timers (might be a bit risky to try). I see your Garen builds have an even mix of health and damage. Good. Keep being flexible with your build.

Nekrogen plays AP Yi bot. You can watch him on Tuesday afternoons/evenings at the Dominate Dominion stream. The most intriguing thing I've noticed is that tankiness and CDR are just as important as AP on him; AP Yi counts on two of his four spells and needs them up all the time. I've seen AD Yi work top but most people prefer bruisers to Yi.

psychorave

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-29-2012

My friend plays Kat with me in Dom
He dominates with her now with the updates to her.

DaRatmastah

08-29-2012

I've seen Katarina rip whole teams faces off on Dom. I've also seen them fail miserably. Kiddalee's right in saying you need to stick with your team, it makes all the difference in the world. Alistar and Leona are great combos with Kat, they can keep people off of you and in one place while you tear stuff up with your ult.

AP yi bot is also way more fun than he has any right being, you should definitely look into him =)

AlphaFerric

08-29-2012

Katarina is really about knowing when to show up for an assassination and when to use your ult. I've done fine with her in game where there was a jarvan alistar vayne brand at top (only reason I remember is reading in all chat "Team has a million cc, uses them all on olaf and katarina gets triple kill"), you just have to watch for when which cooldowns are blown by the enemies. Which means knowing the cc abilities of several champions.

FOODFOOD

08-29-2012

I was going to say that you shouldn't have only 2 people that you can play well, but then you said you've only played for a week! Good on you for already having the IP for both of those champs!

Both Garen and Kat are great in Dominion, but you have to be experienced with them, and you have to blind pick into the correct comp. For instance:

If you pick Garen and the other team has Lulu, Ezreal, other various kiters, your Q just won't be off cooldown enough to get rid of all the crazy slows and escape you'll encounter. Garen has a somewhat predictable playstyle, and though it's a little better than it was before his recent changes, he can still be countered decently.

If you pick Kat and they have insane CC, it's going to be a little difficult to get a good ult off (though not as difficult as it used to be a few weeks ago). She is, however, a high mobility champ, and those CD refreshes are going to be VERY useful in a map like this.

In short, those are good characters to have for someone that's only played a week. You should pubstomp the heck out of other newbies, but you may have issues once you start playing with experienced players.

MyDeadGrandma

08-29-2012

The important thing to have with kat is good team awareness.

Pick Kat if you have one of these heroes on your team:
Malphite
Amumu
Lulu
Nocturne
Wukong
Zyra
Chogath
i.e. anybody who can create an aoe cluster**** of CC/disruption so you can get in and do some damage without getting interrupted.

Consider someone else if your team looks like:
Teemo
Akali
Diana
Ezreal

Infirc

08-29-2012

KAtarina is somewhat viable after her remake she now dishes more constant damage instead of relying more than she should on her ultimate (as she used to be), but you shouldn't pick her when your team alcks cc or tankiness jsut because you are an assassin is enough reason to focus you on teamfights.

Yi is a coin toss and a pubstomper when building AD meaning that he is very effective on the lower levels/elos but as you progress through levels and elo more and more people will easily counter you i'd still suggest running Ad over AP at your level since AP is more reliable but way harder to play.

Garen is kitable- Even if he is hard to kill he is easy to kite and that reduces your damage output by a whole lot and being kitable is often a really bad move in Dominion, i'm not saying "don't pick Garen he bad" i'm saying Pick him when you know you won't be kited (your team has a Lulu, someone with a really nice stun, knock up or a really f'ed up slow)

DECIMALDECADENCE

08-29-2012

Well just about everyone has stated that they are good champs. I'll offer my opinion.

No, not really good Dominion champions. They can do great, but in my opinion what makes a great Dominion champion is a champion who can be consistently good without the optimal team composition / enemy team composition.

Katarina and Yi are too team dependent for the most part, and not only dependent on your team setup, but also the enemy team. Katarina is too easily disrupted, especially in a game in which most teams have lots of CC to stop your ult. AD Master Yi is really difficult to play at high ELO, seeing as he offers no crowd control and really has to build glass cannon as his only utility for the most part is burning people down by auto-attacking. The problem with that is something as simple as building armor shuts him down relatively easily, or even hard CC.

Garen is a bad Dominion champion. Any way you slice it, he just is not good when you compare the other options available. The recent changes to him made him perhaps a bit more viable in Dominion, but as always was the problem with him he falls off late-game.

But let me clarify - again, someone can do great with these champions occasionally. But this fact does not make them great Dominion champions. They are not exactly consistent Dominion terrors, and are too dependent on the right conditions to excel. That said, they are pubstompers, and at your level you can likely do great with them if you're a skilled player. My guess is you've already had some great success with each of these champs, but you want to know if they hold up at high level play. That's why I'm here saying "No".

Look into the other champs that the good people above me have recommended. They're all good champions and more viable at the high level play. Or look up Sauron's Dominion guide. That'll put you a few steps above the rest of the playing field by simply reading and studying it a little.

HOWEVER! With all that said, the most important thing is for you to enjoy the game. If you love these champions, master them to the utmost and show the Dominion world that there is some life in them for the high ELO world to see.