Update on League of Legends service in NA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

daviddelgado

06-22-2012

wtf??? 2 hours!!! mmm I dont know what the risk truly is!!! is hope u can solve this problem!! =S

Arekanderia

06-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSturm View Post
Your support and encouragement is touching and is what motivates us here. We've been working extremely long hours trying to un...wind this.
The problem with a revert is that the content database has been changed--it's past the "revert" the code and would require "rollback" the database content/progress, etc. Here's the truth of where we're at: Trying to find the "least bad" choice. But, our absolute priority (and was talking with Marc specifically on this last evening at 2AM) is restoration, restoration, restoration of the service.

Wow, thanks--I mean that. Tell you what, I'll take the team members that survive out for a nice dinner...after we're done and good. In the meantime, we'll keep a barrel of coffee ready to go.
Now, regardless of my 'pain in the a**' comments, I deeply appreciate the work that has gone into the latest patches as well as the work ethic and the effort RIOT has put into public opinion. What I'm curious about however, as well as annoyed with, is what the exact problem is?
Just lay it out for all to see, the programming code, the server issues, heck even the power fluctuations, so that we can understand a bit more of where you guys are coming from.
I'm saying this to prevent more a**hats like myself that get here angry, comment, then read.

Anyway, if you guys could give the technical specifications of the problems for those of us who can understand, and the 'layman' version of the same problems, I'd bet a lot of people on here would slow down and come to understand your point(s) of view.

Just a thought.

On another note, freaking awesome what you guys have done with the mini-map. xD

Zaresin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSturm View Post
Summoners,

Lance, aka CaptSturm here. For those of you who dont know me, Im charged with maintaining the health of the League of Legends live service around the world. As you know, its been a rough week here in North America.

We are painfully aware of the problems many of you have been experiencing:

- Extended outages: The North American service has been unavailable for significant stretches of time
- Long queue times: Weve had to throttle logins and concurrent players due to these issues
- Weve also confirmed that some players are missing content: runes, rune pages, champions, etc.

This is frustrating for you, and we feel that frustration deeply. This isnt the service youve come to expect and it isnt what we want to deliver. Its been code red for engineering and support Rioters, and weve been working literally around the clock to identify and resolve these problems.

Many of you have asked for more information on whats causing these problems, and we understand that desire Im going to try my best to give you some insight into what were working on, but please understand that our first priority is to put out the fire rather than exhaustively document it.

- This patch is like an iceberg what you see on the surface is small in comparison to the behind-the-scenes infrastructure changes it includes.
- The problems were experiencing are database-related specifically, its a data throughput issue. Our infrastructure handles a massive volume of data and requests every day, and the backend changes in this patch introduced a new bottleneck.
- We put every patch through the wringer including load testing and PBE player testing, and this patch passed those tests. The problems didnt crop up until we pushed it to live. This has exposed some load testing gaps that were going to address (simulating millions of concurrent players is truly challenging).
- Over the last 48 hours, weve made substantial hardware configuration changes that we believe will address the problems. Were actively monitoring the service, but were still not out of the woods.

I know the thing you want to hear most is when everythings going to be back to normal. Id love to give you a timeframe, but we want to be absolutely confident in our solution before signaling the all-clear. Our number one priority is restoration of a stable game experience.

Thanks for your patience. Im going to continue keeping you guys up-to-date as we work to fully restore League of Legends to the service youve come to expect.

Salute,
'Sturm
fool(fl)
n.
1. One who is deficient in judgment, sense, or understanding.

You would think the first time this patch caused the servers to crash would have been a huge neon sign saying SOMETHING IS SERIOUSLY WRONG HERE.

xHurogx

06-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by richman16 View Post
Lol. Thanks

Your first priority should be to get everyones stuff back, because (including me) we have payed for that stuff and we want to use it. Also the game is unplayable for me in ranked or even draft because i dont have enough champions anymore. SO quite a bit of people cant even play your game enjoyable or at all anymore....
You bring up moot points that have been clearly addressed. Go QQ somewhere else. They know what is going on...he just said so.

räen bøw

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-22-2012

How can I have a stable game experience with all of my runes being completely erased from my account? Do you understand that my entire experience has been to build up enough IP to buy these runes, and then suddenly, you're telling me that HARDWARE ISSUES are going to take away hundreds, maybe THOUSANDS, of hours of gameplay that were spent to buy them? You better bring them back, Riot.

Merp Island

06-22-2012

Dude.. I don't know about you guys, but all things considered, I would MUCH rather be waiting 2 hours to play LoL than the servers be down all weekend and not able to play at all.. I see there are lots of spoiled little brats out there though that need their diapers changed because they have nothing better than /rage on the forums... HEY CHILDREN.... WE ALL HAVE TO WAIT IN QUEUE.... so put a lid on it and do something else just for this tiny inconvenient portion of your life.

Trilobite

06-22-2012

GUESS WHOS PAST THE OVER 20k FINALLY? spoiler alert: its me

Stormxgg

06-22-2012

Will we be recieving any compensation. Because the 10 win ip boost wont do it...
I'd be appreciated on a reply.

Knicknevin

06-22-2012

Personally if there is going to be downtime needed to fix this, I'd say the sooner the better. Rather lose Friday night or Saturday morning, rather than Saturday night. And of course, the sooner lost content is restored the sooner I can start buying runes again Since for some reason, though I'm not missing any content, the client seems to think I'm level 1 and won't let me buy runes above tier 1.

And of course, the sooner peoples accounts are back in order, the sooner the game can be fair/playable again.

Taintless J

Recruiter

06-22-2012

There usually is a patch every 2 weeks so I was wondering while the servers are being fixed is the future patch being pushed back as well? or are you guys going to put more time into making sure any further patches don't break the servers again?