Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

LoL vs Dota 2

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SmokingJoeNL

06-22-2012

Good point. I also find the itemchoice in lol rather lackluster. It's gotten to the point where I can play tons of chars with the same rune page and masteries and build the same items every game.

YourMummu

06-22-2012

-1, you suck at comparing ****s.

lightmagician60

06-22-2012

Quote:
a4mad:
have different itemization based on who they are and what the enemy has. itemization is way better in dota. There are like, what 5 active items in lol?

thats my point

lightmagician60

06-22-2012

Quote:
Loafers4Gophers:
LoL created their 99 champs, Valve imported theirs. Trust me, if they had had to design them from scratch with a decent lore (Dota 2 Lore is trash, sorry) it would have taken them way way way longer and they'd be far from 108

also my point LoL has done a better job with their characters but Dota has done a better job on their items. i'm just saying i wish LoL would spend more time on their items as well

ChoppazAndDakka

06-22-2012

Quote:
lightmagician60:
also my point LoL has done a better job with their characters but Dota has done a better job on their items. i'm just saying i wish LoL would spend more time on their items as well

See, when I look at "champ originality", I look at the design of the hero and what they bring to the game, not something as trivial as their name. And Dota completely wins here. LoL almost never has champions that do anything different. Riot is so scared of hurting people's brains that they don't do anything that might actual take some time to master. The champions feel homogenous, with many champions filling the same role. Dota heroes are all varied and very few have any real overlap. They all bring something unique to the table. So I really don't see how you can claim LoL champs have any more originality than Dota. Even if you want to go by something as trivial as names and personality, you are still wrong. Every Dota champ has a name. Look at the lore sometime. Some characters even mention them in-game (Windrunner killing Drow Ranger for example, "Ah Traxxex, why so gloomy?&quot. They also have WAY more personality in Dota 2. They have the same style of affirmations to movement and attack commands, but in Dota they have SO MUCH MORE DIALOGUE. It doesn't even compare. They have lines when they die, lines when they get a kill, lines when they kill specific characters, lines when they get items, lines when they level up, lines when they get last hits and denies. In LoL heroes probably have less than a minute of lines, in Dota 2 each hero has several minutes. To say Dota champs lack names and personality is flat out, demonstratively wrong.

Elementalos

06-22-2012

Quote:
Lug:
Dota on the other hand is way more intricate

My Ogre Magi plays are very very skillful and require a great deal of intricate planning and decision making ahead of time to execute.

Momento Morì

06-22-2012

Quote:
ActionButlerGO:
Does Dota even have lore? Honestly, that is my biggest complaint about the game.

There isn't much.. and it's downplayed. But the huge amount of character interaction dialog in the game is still a big one up over what Riot does with their lore.

Quote:
I have no idea why these characters are fighting or why Zeus is somehow involved in the same struggle as Generic Skeletons 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Why even complain about the lore if you don't even read the stuff explicitly stated?

Rebel Of Babylon

06-22-2012

I have not played DOTA 2, but I did play DOTA 1 for a little while years ago. I did not enjoy DOTA. I don't have the time (or the desire) to dedicate a ton of time to the intricacies of a certain playstyle with a certain hero. I associate the DOTA community with being very unforgiving, much like the WC3 community it spawned from.

League of Legends is accessible. It runs well on my laptop as well as my desktop. It's a game that is designed to appeal, where as I feel like DOTA 2 is designed to appease hardcore DOTA fans. In a lot of ways, League of Legends is most comparable to World of Warcraft.

It's bright, it's colorful, strategies are frequently limited, it's not as complex or "Rewarding" as some of it's competition... but it has a style/build/design that will lead to longevity and sustained popularity.

I'm sure DOTA 2 will be a great game, but, judging by the things I've read, I think it is designed for a community and a gamer that is far more dedicated to competitive gaming than I care to be.

In short, I'm a Casual, I'm a Carebear, that's all right - LoL.

lightmagician60

06-22-2012

Quote:
ChoppazAndDakka:
See, when I look at "champ originality", I look at the design of the hero and what they bring to the game, not something as trivial as their name. And Dota completely wins here. LoL almost never has champions that do anything different. Riot is so scared of hurting people's brains that they don't do anything that might actual take some time to master. The champions feel homogenous, with many champions filling the same role. Dota heroes are all varied and very few have any real overlap. They all bring something unique to the table. So I really don't see how you can claim LoL champs have any more originality than Dota. Even if you want to go by something as trivial as names and personality, you are still wrong. Every Dota champ has a name. Look at the lore sometime. Some characters even mention them in-game (Windrunner killing Drow Ranger for example, "Ah Traxxex, why so gloomy?&quot. They also have WAY more personality in Dota 2. They have the same style of affirmations to movement and attack commands, but in Dota they have SO MUCH MORE DIALOGUE. It doesn't even compare. They have lines when they die, lines when they get a kill, lines when they kill specific characters, lines when they get items, lines when they level up, lines when they get last hits and denies. In LoL heroes probably have less than a minute of lines, in Dota 2 each hero has several minutes. To say Dota champs lack names and personality is flat out, demonstratively wrong.

i'm sorry, this makes it worst, with that LoL has nothing over Dota, pretty bad when a something that started as a mod, is better then a game the had funding form the start.

Remz

06-22-2012

Dota 2 heroes have names too, read their lore.