Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Good Champion for Starter?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tasay

08-28-2010

I've been playing Soraka a lot. But I don't think she is my Character. What would be a good Champion for a Starter, I've only been playing for 2 days.

And the only 2 Champions I've bought are Nunu and Tryndamere, which i suck a both.
I don't know who I'm going to play as once Soraka is out of the Free week thing.

Thanks,
Tasay

Mentono

08-28-2010

ashe is pretty straighforward to play. let loose with volley to harass the enemy, until they're low enough HP that ur arrow will hit them OR like arrow plus two auto attacks. she is squishy though so be careful if ur giving chase.

Leib Olmai

08-28-2010

What role do you think you will prefer ?
And are you looking for to try the more you can or wait ? (Kinda tell if you want a low IP or you don't matter, so poeple can give higher IP hero)

JezdziecBezNicka

08-28-2010

Imo, garen is the easiest champion you'll ever see. No mana, no energy, tanky and deals a lot of damage.

Kharibou

08-28-2010

Just try the weekly freebies, sooner or later you're bound to find some nice ones.

Gum Pack

08-28-2010

As nunu, you are a support/tank or support/mage.

His consume is a very easy way to heal him, in case you get harassed in your lane. Level it up if you need more heals. 1 ap will give it an extra 1 hp healed.

Blood boil is extremely good. Cast it on a teammate, and both of you get the benefit. The speed boost will help your chasing and getting away immensely. The attack speed ain't that bad either. Give it to a dps champion like tryndamere or ashe, and they'll do a lot more damage.

Ice ball or whatever it's called. It slows attack speed and movement speed. If an enemy is chasing you or running away, the slow will help you catch up. The attack speed will weaken the enemy if the enemy is a dps. A mage won't be affected as much, so judge your target. 1 ap will give it 1 damage and that is a very good scaling compared to other abilities.

Absolute zero is a channeling spell. That means that silences, and stuns will stop it when you are standing there waiting for your bar to deplete, and let the damage happen. You might want to wait for the enemy to waste all their stuns and silences, before you used this ability. It does a huge amount of damage and scales with a 1:2.5 ap ratio. Which means 1 ap gives 2.5 damage. Best ratio in the game.

You lane by using your ice ball to harass the enemy in the low hp, and then finish them off by blood boiling and chasing them. Watch out for turret though. Heal with consume, if needed. Remember to take your ultimate at level 6, and you can use it to do devastating damage to the enemy.

I think he would be a good starter for you. Decent harassment, a heal, good support for your team, and an ultimate that cannot be ignored.

fredyybob

08-29-2010

Masta Yi (i sometime call him yingleschwartz) he is cheap and can destroy, good easy minion farm (alpha strike) which is good for new players, start with meki pendant and just spam it on creeps, you will hit the champs dont worry, when you hit six and get your ult (highlander) hopefully one of them is low and you can alpha strike him/her ult, wuju syle and get a kill, then just get ninji tabi or mercury treads if they have alot of stuns, Infinity edge, then phantom dancer, then blood thirster and its gg

SparrowMaxx

08-29-2010

Any champion costing 450 to about 1350 are basic champs. Play a lot of them, if you can, and find your niche- we can help you best when we know your playstyle.

Fluked Panda

08-29-2010

As someone said just keep trying the new freebies. Don't worry if you suck, we all have to start somewhere. When I first started playing, like most people who didn't play Dota, I sucked the phat one!

What you need to do is make sure your having Fun. If your having fun you will find a toon that suits you.

Having a think about how you want to play can really help too, i mean does the idea of tanking or support sound appealing to you? Melee damage in the face of the enemy or shooting from afar?

Once you have a rough idea where you want to go aim for those freebies. If yo thought tanking would be fun but afterwards you don't find it so much fun, try some DPS. Mix it up!

Also don't just play a toon once, play at least 5 games (if not more) with them. For me i find 2 - 3 games with a toon lets me get a feel for them and see if i will like them.

Fluked Panda

iP1ayJarvan

08-29-2010

u wont find ur champ immedietely

e.g: 1st time i played, freebies were tryndamere, olaf, sion, gragas, shaco, tristana and a few i can remember. i can say, i sucked at tryn, although i thought i was 'pro' at him at that time and even bought him, using ashe as my temporary character. after trying many many champs (bought shen, chogath) coz i thought i was a tank person and eventually i found my main (cheap old soraka :&gt

keep trying them till u find 1 that u r good at, i've been using soraka ever since and have a decent 2/1 win/lose with my usual premade friend group.

edit: and if u like soraka, she is one of the cheap ones. i can suggest a few starter cheapos~~

Ashe:
easy use, good farm+carry, and one of the much in demand 'midders'. use if u intend to go down the dps+squishy road, kills very well, and can kite. if u played PotM or Traxex in dota, this is the champ for u

Nunu:
if u want something tanky and half mage, this one is for u. very painful ulti, good harassing and tough laner who doesnt really need to B very often due to his Q

Master Yi:
Squishy, melee dps. can be a carry but much care when using, coz if game goes bad, u are potentially the focused one a.k.a feeder. but fed yi's are feared even by ppl using those expensive 6300 ip champs. farms decently esp with a babysitter coz smart ppl wouldnt let u farm. bonus: makes ppl go into nerd rage when u kill someone, pop ur ult and run away

Kayle:
nothing too outstanding about her, except she's hot behind her helm
though, nothing to just ignore, all builds can be a pain in the butt to the opponent
very versatile if u dont know what u want, go AP and beat the hell outta them with Q, physical owns turrets like paper, and support kinda makes ur team unkillable though inferior to soraka in that sense
cheap, versatile and overall interesting with many purposes (nerfs made her no longer a tank though)

Soraka:
I LOVE THIS CHAMP, SERIOUSLY I DO (my main, DUH)
-one of the things i enjoy most: pissing off the enemy
-take up a mejai and watch it fill up really really quick using ur ulti correctly
-lane with a semi dps tank, and watch him get a 2x kill or babysit a squishy and powerfeed him when possible
-zone ur enemies, gimp them while ur partner feeds off minions (or stupid ppl trying to play hero)
-bait them, make them fall for it, and get ur allies to get an ace or maybe trade ur life for the lives of 3-5 enemies =P
-so many many things u can do with soraka, and the most interesting one is watching them go into nerd rage and focus u (and fail when u flash)
-well i am biased coz i like this champ but if u like supporting ur team to victory, this is the champ for u, even better than kayle actually for this purpose
(p.s, she used to be banned, not sure bout now but if ur a starter dontworry about bans yet, thats for ranked)

Annie:
NOTE: not sure bout this but she used to cost 450 ip but there are rumours that it increased to 1350
very good nuke, want a kill? go for it, u'll usually get it (except maybe tower diving)
lotsa CC, very valuable to the team
this is a good starter mage for anyone, u could proceed to ryze once u got enough ip
quite easy to use (my friend went 12/8 on his first try)

well thats the generalization of the cheap champs