Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Nidalee - Catch, kill and get away

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Folyz

08-28-2010

This guide is easier to read at: http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/guide/7705-nidalee-catch-kill-and-get-away.xhtml (also contains "Draft mode" where I explain about picking nidalee or not picking nidalee in draft mode)

Index

Introduction
Pros / Cons
Skills
Skilling Order
Summoner Abilities
Masteries + Runes
Items
Working in the team
Summary

Introduction

First of all, you probably want to know who is writing this guide and why you should play nidalee (if not skip introduction and pros/cons). I am Folyz and I have played over 100 games with nidalee, and thats all you need to know about me. Nidalee is in my eyes the most fun to play hero. The first thing you should know is this: She is not a killer (with that I mean huge burst/huge auto-attack), she is not a tank, she is not a support. Well then, what is she? She is a hybrid, a scout, a healer, she is the woman that throws the last spear killing little teemo thinking he's safely porting back to base under his tower, she is the one with the ability to know whats inside bushes withouth even coming close. But most of all: she's a beast (a cougar to be exactly), she will not kill you in the first hits, no, she will wound you, and when she gets the chance to kill you she will strike and she will kill you. And when you think you safely escaped you forgot the spear that just entered your back.

Pros / Cons

Pros:

- One of the hardest to hit but very rewarding skillshot
- Able to scout brushes from large distance
- Free mini-wards (if you know how to place them)
- Heal and attack speed buff
- Ability to jump over small walls
- Brushes give movement speed
- Good farming skills
- Very good chaser, escaper
- 6 skills (excluding the ult) makes her very fun to play

Cons:

- Low health
- Disabled cougar usually results in death cougar
- No huge burst damage
- Not good in teamfights
- In cougar form she is a melee
- Auto-attack doesn't do much damage
- Traps are visible for the other team
- Not hard to play her, but very hard to be good

Skills

Prowl

Most people probably don't even know about this skill. But this skill safe's your ass in many situations. When you are chasing/escaping try to use brushes whenever possible. There isn't much else to say about this skill, except that the buff lasts for 2 seconds which means when you go out of the brushes you have 2 seconds extra speed.

Javelin Toss

I think this is the hardest to use skillshot in the game (including the fact that the target needs to be at maximum distance for full damage advantage). This is why I love this skill, I had lots of kills with it from great distance where my opponent thought he wouldn't get hit because he was too far. Why is this skill hard to use? First: the spear has a slow movement speed, second: you have to be at maximum distance to get the best damage advantage, third: the hitbox is very small, fourth: it doesn't go through minions and last: combine all of these arguments together and you got the hardest to land skillshot that cost a lot of mana. At this point you should be desperate (if you are not, please be), so how the hell are you going to land this succesfuly? Well, I got a few tips and advantages that could be usefull:

1. Do not use this skill at all unless you really need to at low levels. This is because it uses a lot of precious mana that you should use to heal and place traps but also because it doesn't do much damage at level 1~3.

2. Instead of aiming this straight at your opponent aim it where he is going. The best time to throw it is when your opponent changes direction.

3. Fleeing people are usually easy to predict, they follow the shortest road back to safety so don't be scared to go out of cougar and throw.

4. Try to be unexpected, if they don't focus on you and your spear it's usually not hard to miss, especially in team fights this could do lots of damage to a carry that is attacking your team.

5. Don't think you should always use this skill from a great distance. It's better to hit 5 spears that do medium damage then one spear that does large damage.

Takedown

There is nothing much to say about this skill, it does more damage when the target has lower health so it't better to use pounce and swipe first before you use takedown. You should also know how long you are going to attack your target, if you got some time try to first hit with pounce, use auto-attack, use swipe, use auto-attack and then use takedown. This way your trinity/sheen/lich bane will give you extra damage and your pounce will probably be ready again. If you wan't to get in and out or when you are chasing a target that nearly outruns you you should just cast takedown before/while the pounce and do pounce, swipe, auto-attack.

Bushwhack

Bushwhack has three effects: you can see whats inside brushes for a milisecond, when an enemie steps on a trap you can see him for twelve seconds and it reduces the magic resistance and armor for twelve seconds to the same enemie. A nice fact is that bushwhack has a very very small AoE, however it's very rare to get the AoE effect on two or more people because usually they don't walk near each other that close. You usually use bushwhack for two things: map awareness and throwing it into a teamfight hoping someone is dumb enough to walk over it before the fight is over. As you may have guessed you primary focus on the first. You should also know that the enemie is also able to see your traps, that means it could be easily avoided if you just place them randomly. Good thing that humans got brains (hopefully you have one of them too) so you can put these trap at places where they are still usefull. Here are some tips:

1. Try to have bushwhack as much on cooldown as you can, by placing many traps you increase the chance of someone stepping on which is especially nice lategame when you sometimes have no idea where the enemie is.

2. Put bushwhack as much into brushes, enemies can't see the traps unless they are inside the brush (still hard to spot them though) and they usually already stepped on it when they see them.

3. Place your traps at usefull places like the very small brushes at the mid (both sides), dragon, nash, golem/lizard brushes (only your own side early game) and especially the brushes at the side lanes in the river. You are easily able to prevent a gank on you with this skill.

4. When you (+your team) are walking around try to use bushwhack to see into burshes before you go into them. The best is to stand behind a little wall so people inside the brush cant see you. This will reveal the dangers that lie into the brush waiting for you to go in.

5. Always try to throw a bushwhack in before going into a teamfight. You wont waste any time with it and it does some damage plus it gives a devestating debuff for tanks.

6. Traps are a great counter for champions with invisibility (now thats a lot of i's in one word) skill. However, people that posses these awesome skills aren't just going to step on your traps so you still be prepared whenever they are missing.

Pounce

This skill is awesome. You use this to walk somewhere, you use this to jump over small walls, you use this to deal the first bit of damage when you are using the combo pounce, swipe and takedown, you use this to chase, you use this to flee and you use this to dodge skillshots or AoE's. You probably already realise it, you should use this skill a lot. Try to practise jumping over small walls in a practise game, you'd be supprised how many escaping/chasing routes you can create with this skill. However, usually when you are chasing or fleeing you got this skill on cooldown (if not you are probably death) which means you can't jump over a wall yet. Don't be afraid to wait in this kind of situations, use the very little cooldown time to make sure you are in the right position and when it's off cooldown you should immediatly jump over it. This will take a lot of practise because you jump to the side you are facing, but once you master it, it will be very hard to catch you or escape from you. Another note: think before you jump, when you jump to an enemie you can't jump back for three seconds (if you are harrasing walking back is an option).

Primal Surge

A heal with an attack speed buff. Most people will probably only use it for healing, and this skill should be used mostly for healing. But the attack speed buff is nice too. In some situations you want to use it to push towers or on the lifesteal turtled udyr that needs to farm early game. When you are using this skill for the attack speed buff always use it on the AD carry if he is close. Yes, he'll get more kills then you and yes he'll also get more gold, no that is not a bad thing because we want to win the game, not get the most kills. If there is no carry feel free to use it on yourself and whipe towers down, however, if you think that you'll kill minions faster with it after level six, you are wrong. Use the cougar skills for that instead. Also your skills are very good for backdooring, this is a legal tactic and you wont get banned for it. That doesn't mean that you should backdoor. It is better to win a teamfight and break two turrets then lose a teamfight, lose two turrets and break one turret. And for those that already forgot it: healing is more important then attack speed buff.

Swipe

Nothing special about this skill. It deals damage, so is good for farming and damaging. Use this after pounce as I explained before (Skills->Takedown).

Aspect of the Cougar

You should use this skill a lot because you are usually moving around with pounce as cougar while placing traps as human. It gives 20 movement speed and 10% dodge so when you are attacked you usually want to be a cougar as much as possible. This skill is also nice to keep eight stacks from Guinsoo's Rageblade.

Skilling Order

This is the skilling order I usually use:

1. Primal Surge / Swipe
2. Bushwhack / Pounce
3. Primal Surge / Swipe
4. Javelin Toss / Takedown
5. Primal Surge / Swipe
6. Aspect of the Cougar
7. Primal Surge / Swipe
8. Javelin Toss / Takedown
9. Primal Surge / Swipe
10. Javelin Toss / Takedown
11. Aspect of the Cougar
12. Javelin Toss / Takedown
13. Javelin Toss / Takedown
14. Bushwhack / Pounce
15. Bushwhack / Pounce
16. Aspect of the Cougar
17. Bushwhack / Pounce
18. Bushwhack / Pounce

Cougar > Heal > Spear > Bushwhack

Some people get a trap at level one and heal at level two instead, this usually depends on the situation. If you got a jungler or if you didnt entered the brushes yet at the side lanes you could (and sometimes should) get brushwhack first.

You also see some people max spear first. In my opinion this isn't very good. With heal you can farm minions easier and get to level six faster. Also with heal you don't need to leave your lane in a long time, while your enemies might do so you get a little advantage there.

Two final notes, you can't use a cougar skill if you don't have a level in the human skill. So if you don't have bushwhack you can't pounce when you are using the cougar skills. And upgrading your human skills doesn't upgrade your cougar. Your cougar skills depend on the level of your ultimate.

Summoner Abilities

When I'm playing nidalee I use the spells ghost and clairvoyance. This is just a personal taste so feel free to use other spells. I will give some short information about the other skills.

Good

Ghost: With this spell, there are nearly no champions that are able to chase you.

Clairvoyance: Very usefull, this has a very low cooldown. This in combination with your traps give you a lot of map control.

Ignite: Deals damage, usefull for any champion.

Exhaust: Slows and blinds, usefull for any champion.

Cleanse: Very usefull for nidalee, you usually die because you are disabled.

Clarity: If you don't solve your mana problem with runes/masteries clarity is a nice skill to get.

Flash: Nice to get out of bad situations, has a long cooldown tough.

Not good

Teleport: You already got great mobility.

Heal: You already got heal, I see no reason why you need another one.

Rally: I don't see any use in it for nidalee.

Smite: Yes, you might dislike minions very much and the caster minion is very op, but you should focus on the champions.

Fortify: If you where a tank you could use this skill, too bad for you, you are not a tank.

Pro-Only

Revive: Yeah, you only use this if you are very pro. Because this skill will make sure you won't miss a minut of your game.

Masteries and Runes

Masteries

I usually go 9/0/21 taking ability power and magic penetration in the offence tree and generation, haste, increased experience, mana regen, buff lenght increase, movement speed, cooldown reduction, mystical vision and reduced recharge time of summoner abilities in the utility tree. You could also go 0/9/21 for more deffence instead of offence.

How about 21/9/0 or 21/0/9 you might ask, well, if you go that way you get more armor penetration, attack, critical attack and damage overal which isnt as good as what you get into the utility tree. So I wouldn't advice this.

Runes

Yes it's good to get runes. The ones I am using are: Greater Quintessence of Fortitude (plain health), Greater Mark of Insight (magic penetration, Greater Seal of Clarity (mana regen/5 per level), Greater Glyph of Celerity (cooldown reduction per level).

Marks:

There is only one option, which is magic penetration: Greater Mark of Insight.

Seals:

I suggest mana regen/5 per level: Greater Seal of Clarity or dodge: Greater Seal of Evasion.

Glyphs:

With six skills affected by cooldown I don't think you have a lot of options: Greater Glyph of Focus (cooldown reduction) or Greater Glyph of Celerity (cooldown reduction per level).

Quintessence:

I highly suggest you take hp, you already lack three skills until level six so a bit of hp will do magic: Greater Quintessence of Fortitude (plain health).

Items

Now we have reached the fun part of the guide. The best way to build nidalee is as hybrid or pure ap, both need hp. You have five skills affected by ap, yes the rates may not be high but combined they are still more then most other champions. On the other side, you have one skill affected by damage. You might think, yes but I got sweet attack speed skill. In that case you should read the skill part again, especially primal surge. Now that we agree attack damage sucks on nidalee lets continue. The build I am using is this:

1. Doran's Ring & Health Potion
2. Boots of Speed
3. Sheen
4. Mercury's Treads or Ninja Tabi or Sorcerer's Shoes
5. Guinsoo's Rageblade
6. Giant's Belt
7. Lich Bane
8. Rylai's Scepter

Usually the game ends here. In most situations you pick mercury's treads, sometimes you pick ninja tabi but you should take sorcerer's shoes only when you know you don't need one of the other two. After boots of speeds or sheen you could also go for a mejai. Since you are good at escaping it's not very hard to get stacks on it. However you should know that when you've bought one you place a mark (here I am, a squishy with a mejai and lots of stacks) on you which isn't very good. After building this and selling your doran's ring you got two spots left. Fill these spots by looking at the enemie's item build and setup. If they don't got a lot of damage feel free to go for zhonya's ring, if they got lots of spells go for banshee's veil or if they got lots of attack damage go for a thornail.

Another option is going ap/hp, I used it but it's not as good as the build above.

1. Doran's Ring & Health Potion
2. Boots of Speed
3. Sheen
4. Rod of Ages
5. Mercury's Treads or Ninja Tabi or Sorcerer's Shoes
6. Lich Bane
7. Rylai's Scepter
8. Zhonya's Ring

Like the first build you are also able to throw a mejai in after the boots or sheen. When you aren't very experienced with the game I recommend you using boots and trinity force first. After trinity you should get a rylai's scepter and zhonya's ring. For more experienced players I could also recommend trinity's force if your team lacks attack damage, however the items after trinity should probably be guinsoo's rageblade and rylai's scepter (this depends on the situation).

Now I've told what you should get it's time to say what you shouldn't get: critical damage, damage, attack speed, lifesteal, spell vamp and armor penetration. This means you shouldn't get nashor's tooth which some new nidalee players take. The recommended item section of nidalee also tells us we should get a frozen heart, I say: DONT. To explain about the spell vamp: it's very useless for nidalee, because she doesn't deal enough damage and she already got a heal.

One last note: if you play casual or non-high-elo you could try lots of builds, a nice thing about nidalee is that she is able to use a lot of different builds withouth being bad.

Fighting in a team

Here I am going to explain the early game, mid game and late game. If you have picked revive you already know about tactics and you are probably also pro so you could skip this part.

Early game (side lane - 2v2)

Be sure you have almost always have traps placed to prevent ganks on you. You should be carefully farming minions until level six, also if your lane partner doesn't know nidalee very well tell him you are not going to harass or kill anyone until you are able to release the beast inside you. When you have reached level six try to attack from the bushes. Because of your passive you got extra movement speed and with pounce you will be at an enemie in no-time. Also before attacking make sure your lane partner is prepared. Another usefull thing is that you can make the brushes useless for the other two by placing traps, but be carefull, you shouldn't spend too much mana on it (if they step on your traps continiously you should stop placing them because they do too little damage). Also don't forget to flee through the brushes because: 1. the enemie won't see you and 2. you move faster. When you are doing good in your lane feel free to gank mid some times depending on well you are doing and how good the enemie at mid is. You should be carefull when you are initiating because you don't have much health. Also for you there is a difference between the top and bot lane, depending on the team you have an extra escape route through the dragon or nashor so be sure to take advantage of this (every little bit helps).

Early game (mid lane - 1v1)

Try to be deffensive until level six, you got no reason to attack your opponent because you won't do any damage. Also keep putting traps in both brushes to prevent possible ganks. When you did reach level six and you are able to kill or harrass your opponent, feel free to gank a side lane. Because of the brushes and pounce you move fast and sometimes people think you went back with low health but instead you healed up and are ready to charge. When ganking make sure you pick a target and ping it because the tower is usually close. And you really don't want to tower dive unless you got flash.

Mid game

At this point there is usually a tower broken, if your side or yourself broke the tower you should go back, buy items (unless you don't got any gold) and gank or just help the other lanes. Usually you are quick enough to run to an unprotected tower at the side lane or at mid. Try to not initiate unless you are really sure you are able to take the damage. This is also the part where you should start throwing spears when you got enough mana. When you just killed some of your enemies that where protecting a tower you should cast your primal surge on the one with the most damage.

Late game

This is the point where teamfights start. Teamfights are hard for nidalee. When you are in the jungle your spear throws are devestating but you should be aware of creeps there (I actually hit nashor once when we where chasing them, it resulted in death for me and lol for the others). You should also be carefull for their AoE's and skill shots because you are more likely to get hit. Usually you enter a teamfight by placing a trap, throwing a spear, casting a heal and releasing the beast inside you to pounce, swipe, takedown them. Before a teamfight you should throw your spear as much as you can (unless its a gank, because then you will have to enter straight away). This was all easy, but the hard part is knowing when to get out. When you enter you will get a lot of them focussing on you and you will get lots of damage. The best thing would be is that you get out with 10% hp, this means you have done your job as cougar and you are ready to throw spears, traps and heals. There are also fights that end up with their or your team fleeing. If it's their team and you have enough health, go for it, this is why you are nidalee. If you don't have much health try to be carefull. Now, when your team is fleeing you should be very carefull. The best thing to do is try to lure them to you or deal damage with spears and cast heals. When they are going after you you should have an escape route ready, let them chase you for a bit and then jump over a ledge. Always be carefull when you do this, champions like blitz or akali love to get that last grab or slash to kill you, and you will make another nidalee's day when you get killed by a flying spear.

Summary

I hope you enjoyed reading this guide. I still have some more tips and tricks I probably dont remember but I think I have tortured you enough already with this wall of text. If you still got questions just leave a comment here and I will answer it. I would also appreciate if you told me error's you found (wouldn't be hard since english isn't my mother tongue). Now go try her out and make sure people know that nidalee should not be underestimated. But above all, have fun.

Folyz

08-28-2010

Reserved

CatDuridLOL

08-28-2010

I am a cat durid lol

Lunik

08-30-2010

Nice guide. I just bought nidalie and am loving her unique playstyle.

Personally I feel pure AP is the way to go, but a rageblade doesn't hurt i guess.

The best kill ever: get someone to step on a newly planted trap by throwing a javelin the other way. They slowly die and have themselves to blame xD.

Polaritie

Recruiter

08-30-2010

Rageblade gives some of the best AP/gold in the game anyways as is, assuming you bother to use Pounce and Aspect to maintain it for free.

I usually max javelin first after getting some points in surge. The AP scaling is so strong on it that it keeps up fine, and level 5 javelin throw can't be beat for killing a runner.

Also, I can't see someone wanting RoA on Nidalee. You'd be better off taking Rylai at that point, and just using something else if you still need the mana.

Adonidus

10-26-2010

I just started playing her and I'm loving it! One item that I think would be really good to add in this guide though is Tear of the Goddess: every time you use a cougar ability it boots your mana (along with the Rageblade,) by the end you essentially have a limitless mana pool. Not only that but it's crazy cheap, I still have more than enough to get every other must-have item.

You could even go full Archangel if you wanted, though I'd still work on the Lich Bane/Rageblade first ;-)

maniclurker

10-26-2010

Err... this seems really bad, imo. My main is Nidalee, and I'm here to say that combat is really not the place for her. You're not going to make it out if you get focused in a team fight, especially when that enemy Kassadin decides that your 10% health should be 0.

Also, for a build that is supposed to be 'hybrid', you sure are lacking on the hybrid items. Sheen is nice, but it's not going to hit hard enough later in the game, and Guinsoo's is about the worst hybrid item for Nidalee, seeing as how she has more of a 'hit-and-run' playstyle instead of a 'stand-and-fight'... as such, you really don't need the attack speed boost. Lich Bane without a good amount of AP is totally worthless, as it doesn't proc often enough for good sustained damage, and you don't have any armor pen, so even squishes will not feel it so much when you hit them with a LB procced auto attack.

I run my Nidalee pure AP, and I constantly get feedback from other players whom are impressed by my skill with her. Her spear will hit like a Mac truck, her Cougar abilities will actually deal decent damage (I'm talking late game, they are fine early), and her heal can win team fights. I've even had a few pleasant surprises from a fleeing champ dying to a trap... you won't see that happen even with a hybrid build.

As to items... I always start with a Meki Pendant and 2 health pots. Her ability to feed a TotG/Archangel's is second to none, and grants you a VAST mana pool very early in the game. In most situations, I actually find that my Tears is almost or completely maxed by the time I turn it into an Archangel's.

As to your skilling order... WTF? You should never need heal that quickly. If you get a mana regen item, have MP5 runes, and get 21 points in the utility tree (all of which you say you do), you should have plenty of mana regen to support javelin harass early in the game. And as to not hitting hard enough... I've taken opponents down to HALF HEALTH before the minions even start their never ending duels to the death, and still had 3/4 of my mana pool regened by then. Your opponents popping off their pots or heals before the fighting even starts spells success for you in your laning phase. It's especially nice if you force them to recall and use a teleport to get back.

I go Q E Q E W R for my skilling order, maxing Q, then E, then W, always grabbing R when possible. If you are really doing that bad that you need to get better heals first, then I guess you could get another rank in E before Q.

Bakemono nyan

10-27-2010

Guinsoo's rageblade is actually pretty standard for Nidalee, I've seen plenty of people use it (including HotshotGG for those who follow him and such). The rageblade stacks whenever you use any cougar ability, so if you're traversing the map you can spam W and get up to 8 stacks and keep it indefinitely (I am not saying to stay in cougar for all the time, but Rageblade works very well on Nidalee). Also, switching from human to cougar gives a stack, so is reality she can keep the stacks maintained easily.

Folyz

11-27-2010

Quote:
maniclurker:
Err... this seems really bad, imo. My main is Nidalee, and I'm here to say that combat is really not the place for her. You're not going to make it out if you get focused in a team fight, especially when that enemy Kassadin decides that your 10% health should be 0.

Also, for a build that is supposed to be 'hybrid', you sure are lacking on the hybrid items. Sheen is nice, but it's not going to hit hard enough later in the game, and Guinsoo's is about the worst hybrid item for Nidalee, seeing as how she has more of a 'hit-and-run' playstyle instead of a 'stand-and-fight'... as such, you really don't need the attack speed boost. Lich Bane without a good amount of AP is totally worthless, as it doesn't proc often enough for good sustained damage, and you don't have any armor pen, so even squishes will not feel it so much when you hit them with a LB procced auto attack.

I run my Nidalee pure AP, and I constantly get feedback from other players whom are impressed by my skill with her. Her spear will hit like a Mac truck, her Cougar abilities will actually deal decent damage (I'm talking late game, they are fine early), and her heal can win team fights. I've even had a few pleasant surprises from a fleeing champ dying to a trap... you won't see that happen even with a hybrid build.

As to items... I always start with a Meki Pendant and 2 health pots. Her ability to feed a TotG/Archangel's is second to none, and grants you a VAST mana pool very early in the game. In most situations, I actually find that my Tears is almost or completely maxed by the time I turn it into an Archangel's.

As to your skilling order... WTF? You should never need heal that quickly. If you get a mana regen item, have MP5 runes, and get 21 points in the utility tree (all of which you say you do), you should have plenty of mana regen to support javelin harass early in the game. And as to not hitting hard enough... I've taken opponents down to HALF HEALTH before the minions even start their never ending duels to the death, and still had 3/4 of my mana pool regened by then. Your opponents popping off their pots or heals before the fighting even starts spells success for you in your laning phase. It's especially nice if you force them to recall and use a teleport to get back.

I go Q E Q E W R for my skilling order, maxing Q, then E, then W, always grabbing R when possible. If you are really doing that bad that you need to get better heals first, then I guess you could get another rank in E before Q.

If there is an enemie kassadin in the other team it's not really an awesome idea to stay in the middle of the teamfight when your health is at 10%, this is the hard part of teamfights: Knowing when you should get out and start casting heals/throwing spears. It takes a lot of practice and knowledge to know when to get out of a teamfight and start healing/throwing spears while not being too greedy.

Guinsoo's and lichbane are perfect hybrid items for nidalee and you are right you don't use the attack speed that much. Like Bakemono nyan said it's easy to maintain the stacks with your cougar skills. Because you are able to keep your stacks the ap/gold and ad/gold ratio are incredible compared to any other item. Early game sheen is great because it adds a lot of damage when you are using your cougar skills, lategame you will switch it to lichbane which gives a good amount of magic damage (especially when fed). Also you won't need any armor pen because its magic damage.

People also said things like that to me, however you don't always play good and you probably also lost some times. I once killed a shaco by using traps in the top brushes, but that doesn't mean my build is better then yours.

Sounds good to me, if you like that build keep using it (still keep in mind that archangels is expensive and better lategame).

It depends on your playing style, i'm deffensive and i'm tryiing to farm a lot because at level 1-6 you can't finish your opponents unless they are kinda stupid and stay with 20% health or less. Also most of my opponents know how to dodge a slow skillshot, if not they will feel it mid/lategame.

By maxing heal you can stay in your lane a very long time which results in more gold. Sure it's nice to let your opponent go back, but if you need to go back too it's not very effective. It probably depends on your opponents and your playing style which skills you should use (for example: if your opponents are playing very deffensive you could indeed max spear first and keep heal low because you dont need it that much).

One last thing: this guide will show less experienced players and new nidalee players how to get to know nidalee better. It's not a guide to play in top elo and it's not a guide to give you 20/2/10 kda ratio's because reading this will only give you knowledge and no experience.